Need the raw data

Hi,
I have spent a week or so learning about mocha tracking. For research purposes I need the data about xy location of some organic shapes over time.
There are many data formats available, but so far I haven’t found anything which tells me what specifically they mean. For example, in the AE corner pin format, position, rotation, scale, and “corner pin” data is given —
what is position? is the center of the surface calculated and that point becomes “position”?
Do the corner pins refer to the coordinates of the surface? If it does, then I am having some issues with the coordinates being inaccurate (off by 100 or so pixels)
I would appreciate any help! or pointers to other sources of info regarding the exact format of the data

Hi,
I have spent a week or so learning about mocha tracking. For research purposes I need the data about xy location of some organic shapes over time.

There are many data formats available, but so far I haven’t found anything which tells me what specifically they mean. For example, in the AE corner pin format, position, rotation, scale, and “corner pin” data is given —

what is position? is the center of the surface calculated and that point becomes “position”?

Do the corner pins refer to the coordinates of the surface? If it does, then I am having some issues with the coordinates being inaccurate (off by 100 or so pixels)

I would appreciate any help! or pointers to other sources of info regarding the exact format of the data

Hi Mary,
Sorry! let me explain myself:
there is a video of an animal which I need to score movement for. Each feature --nose, eyelid, paw, ear… – is a region of interest. so far I have been trying to compensate for the fact that mocha only gets data for the 4 corner surface by moving the corners of the surface into the most informative “corners” of the feature’s spline selection. Only then do I start the tracking.
So far I am still a little confused about the difference between the 4 corners of the surface, the 4 corner pins, and center points. are “surface corners” and “corner pins” the same thing?
Also when I go into AdjustTrack and set a master frame, 4 red boxes with x’s in them appear at the surface corners (usually) but when I tweak them, sometimes these red boxes dissociate themselves from the surface corners and are instead connected by some yellow line.
I’m not really sure what is going on in this case.
And thank you, I will look into that script site.

No I haven’t; are there such scripts available to your knowledge? I am not familiar with scriptwriting and have been trying to get position info straight from metadata.
Just now I am looking at Boris FX Center Point, sicne that gives me only one point over time in a txt file…
Thank you for replying!

No I haven’t; are there such scripts available to your knowledge? I am not familiar with scriptwriting and have been trying to get position info straight from metadata.
Just now I am looking at Boris FX Center Point, sicne that gives me only one point over time in a txt file…

Thank you for replying!

Hi Mary,
Sorry! let me explain myself:
there is a video of an animal which I need to score movement for. Each feature --nose, eyelid, paw, ear… – is a region of interest. so far I have been trying to compensate for the fact that mocha only gets data for the 4 corner surface by moving the corners of the surface into the most informative “corners” of the feature’s spline selection. Only then do I start the tracking.

So far I am still a little confused about the difference between the 4 corners of the surface, the 4 corner pins, and center points. are “surface corners” and “corner pins” the same thing?
Also when I go into AdjustTrack and set a master frame, 4 red boxes with x’s in them appear at the surface corners (usually) but when I tweak them, sometimes these red boxes dissociate themselves from the surface corners and are instead connected by some yellow line.
I’m not really sure what is going on in this case.

And thank you, I will look into that script site.

Thanks very much, I was unclear about how the one center point was calculated in relationship to the surfaces and splines, but from what I’m understanding, this center point is the center of mass of the blue surface only.
This is what I’m thinking: the 4 corners of the surface have their xy recorded. From this info a center of mass is calculated frame by frame. The xy of the center of mass for a particular frame is then given as center point data.
I have exported the tracks in various ways and plotted coordinates given for position and anchor point (given in AE data format) and Boris center point. They all look identical. Is this correct? Is the rotation info in AE data format also given in relation to the center of mass of the surface?
All I really need is that magnitude, time, and location of the movement, so from what you have said I am feeling reassured.
Thank you for your responsiveness, I really appreciate it.

Thanks very much, I was unclear about how the one center point was calculated in relationship to the surfaces and splines, but from what I’m understanding, this center point is the center of mass of the blue surface only.

This is what I’m thinking: the 4 corners of the surface have their xy recorded. From this info a center of mass is calculated frame by frame. The xy of the center of mass for a particular frame is then given as center point data.

I have exported the tracks in various ways and plotted coordinates given for position and anchor point (given in AE data format) and Boris center point. They all look identical. Is this correct? Is the rotation info in AE data format also given in relation to the center of mass of the surface?

All I really need is that magnitude, time, and location of the movement, so from what you have said I am feeling reassured.

Thank you for your responsiveness, I really appreciate it.

Well, the cetre point of the surface would just be the transform export for After Effects (as opposed to the corner pin).

To get the centre point of the spline however is a bit trickier. You could possibly get an average of the positions of each point, but we do not have this functionality yet.

Well, the cetre point of the surface would just be the transform export for After Effects (as opposed to the corner pin).
To get the centre point of the spline however is a bit trickier. You could possibly get an average of the positions of each point, but we do not have this functionality yet.

Have you tried using scripts to convert shape points to data points in something like After Effects?

Have you tried using scripts to convert shape points to data points in something like After Effects?

Hi there,
No, I do not know of a specific one, but I would ask on the adobe forums OR I would check here: http://aescripts.com/
You might have luck using our camera solver in mocha Pro V3 and exporting that data, as it will give you surface center points, and if you export the FBX that data you might be able to mine the data out… but they are not organic shapes, they are four corner pin surface tools.
I’m still not 100% sure what you are trying to do.
Hope that helps,
Mary

Hi there,

No, I do not know of a specific one, but I would ask on the adobe forums OR I would check here: http://aescripts.com/

You might have luck using our camera solver in mocha Pro V3 and exporting that data, as it will give you surface center points, and if you export the FBX that data you might be able to mine the data out… but they are not organic shapes, they are four corner pin surface tools.

I’m still not 100% sure what you are trying to do.

Hope that helps,
Mary

OK, so let me explain. The “surface tool” in mocha is just a representation of what other programs call a “corner pin.” It goes along with the tracking data, which drives everything in mocha, including splines and surface tools (the grid we have in mocha moves along with the surface so that you can see what the track is doing better, especially on small shapes or ground planes). You can also export the surface tool corners out as “point trackers” that other programs can read, like how we can take the surface tool to After Effects as a corner pin or as transforms on nulls. http://www.imagineersystems.com/support/Documentation/tracking-basics/
The adjust track tool is a 4 point adjustment that gets set over the top of mocha’s track in order to correct drift. What you see is the corners adjusting the surface tool when you move them, if the surface tool is not lining up right, you have to adjust the 4 points in adjust track until they do. http://www.imagineersystems.com/support/Documentation/adjust-track/ (http://www.imagineersystems.com/support/Documentation/adjust-track/)
So what you are trying to do, to my understanding, is to get that center null in the surface tool as a workaround for every point of interest on the animal, because we can’t predict the center point in a shape.
Have you tried the autodesk export from our shape data if you’re just after positioning? That does calculate center points, but it shouldn’t play nice with After Effects, if you need it to. The files that get exported out of that format are attached here so you can play with them.
Cheers,
Mary

OK, so let me explain. The “surface tool” in mocha is just a representation of what other programs call a “corner pin.” It goes along with the tracking data, which drives everything in mocha, including splines and surface tools (the grid we have in mocha moves along with the surface so that you can see what the track is doing better, especially on small shapes or ground planes). You can also export the surface tool corners out as “point trackers” that other programs can read, like how we can take the surface tool to After Effects as a corner pin or as transforms on nulls. http://www.imagineersystems.com/support/Documentation/tracking-basics/

The adjust track tool is a 4 point adjustment that gets set over the top of mocha’s track in order to correct drift. What you see is the corners adjusting the surface tool when you move them, if the surface tool is not lining up right, you have to adjust the 4 points in adjust track until they do. http://www.imagineersystems.com/support/Documentation/adjust-track/ (http://www.imagineersystems.com/support/Documentation/adjust-track/)

So what you are trying to do, to my understanding, is to get that center null in the surface tool as a workaround for every point of interest on the animal, because we can’t predict the center point in a shape.

Have you tried the autodesk export from our shape data if you’re just after positioning? That does calculate center points, but it shouldn’t play nice with After Effects, if you need it to. The files that get exported out of that format are attached here so you can play with them.

Cheers,
Mary

—Quote (Originally by degarnemai)—
For research purposes I need the data about xy location of some organic shapes over time.
—End Quote—
In the middle of the top panel there is a blue button that shows the planar surface that is going to be exported. Turn it on and a blue rectangle will appear. You can modify the four corners before export. The center of that blue shape holds the information for position rotation and scale.
If your intention is to track the bounding box of organic shape you have to adjust the blue rectangle as close to the shape as possible, but sill that won’t be the geometric center of that shape.
Image: http://imageshack.us/a/img6/5203/screencapture005.png
If you could provide some example it will become more clear what you are going for.

—Quote (Originally by degarnemai)—
For research purposes I need the data about xy location of some organic shapes over time.
—End Quote—
In the middle of the top panel there is a blue button that shows the planar surface that is going to be exported. Turn it on and a blue rectangle will appear. You can modify the four corners before export. The center of that blue shape holds the information for position rotation and scale.
If your intention is to track the bounding box of organic shape you have to adjust the blue rectangle as close to the shape as possible, but sill that won’t be the geometric center of that shape.
Image: http://imageshack.us/a/img6/5203/screencapture005.png
If you could provide some example it will become more clear what you are going for.