New user, confused!

Hi everyone,
I received a trial copy of Motor with Digital Arts recently and thought I would give it a go. I followed the online tutorials and tracked and roto’d some quicktime footage, but when it comes to rendering I am so confused. I only want to be able to see the bit of footage I have roto’d but instead I either get a white matt version on a black background, or the full original film footage unchanged by the process. Obviously I am doing something wrong (or being stupid) and I would love to know what, as both tutorials end at the render stage ! All I want to be able to do is take the bit of footage I have rotoscoped and take it into final cut to overlay over some over footage.

I apologise if this is a really obvious question, but I have never done this before and really want to get it to work!

Cheers

Sorry that was supposed to be webshop@imagineersystems.com

As for the licence the Ditigal Arts copy of Motor was supposed to have a licence that expires end of August as far as I know.

Please email webshop@imagineersystems.com and I will issue a temp licence for you.

—Quote (Originally by jemillo)—
Hi everyone,
I received a trial copy of Motor with Digital Arts recently and thought I would give it a go. I followed the online tutorials and tracked and roto’d some quicktime footage, but when it comes to rendering I am so confused. I only want to be able to see the bit of footage I have roto’d but instead I either get a white matt version on a black background, or the full original film footage unchanged by the process. Obviously I am doing something wrong (or being stupid) and I would love to know what, as both tutorials end at the render stage ! All I want to be able to do is take the bit of footage I have rotoscoped and take it into final cut to overlay over some other footage.

I apologise if this is a really obvious question, but I have never done this before and really want to get it to work!

Cheers
—End Quote—

No need for appologies.

I will detail two options for rendering RGB with Embedded alpha channels.

1. RGB + Alpha Quicktime file:

• File / Render
  • Select RGB (Channel)
  • Select Matte (Channel)
  • Make sure all the layers desired for roto output are selected under the Matte menu.
  • Set the appropriate Ranget to Export (the default is the project In/Out)
  • Export to - Quicktime Movie and click Next
  • Name the export
  • The Compression Settings should appear (Codec)
  • Choose the desired Codec. Note only Codecs that allow alpha channels will work.
  • Set the Depth to Millions of Colors + (If this is not set the alpha / roto will not render)
    A good Codec to use is Animation. Though I realise with FCP you wan to stick to the codec you normally use if possible.
  • NOTE: On Mac you have to deslect Key every frame option.
  • Qaulity up to the user preference.
  • Import the render into FCP, just make sure the alpha is active.

Hi everyone,
I received a trial copy of Motor with Digital Arts recently and thought I would give it a go. I followed the online tutorials and tracked and roto’d some quicktime footage, but when it comes to rendering I am so confused. I only want to be able to see the bit of footage I have roto’d but instead I either get a white matt version on a black background, or the full original film footage unchanged by the process. Obviously I am doing something wrong (or being stupid) and I would love to know what, as both tutorials end at the render stage ! All I want to be able to do is take the bit of footage I have rotoscoped and take it into final cut to overlay over some other footage.

Cheers
—End Quote—

No need for apologies.

I will detail two options for rendering RGB with Embedded alpha channels.

1. RGB + Alpha Quicktime file:

• File / Render
  • Select RGB (Channel)
  • Select Matte (Channel)
  • Make sure all the layers desired for roto output are selected under the Matte menu.
  • Set the appropriate Range to Export (the default is the project In/Out)
  • Export to - Quicktime Movie and click Next
  • Name the export
  • The Compression Settings should appear (Codec)
  • Choose the desired Codec. Note only Codecs that allow alpha channels will work.
  • Set the Depth to Millions of Colors + (If this is not set the alpha / roto will not render)
    A good Codec to use is Animation. Though I realise with FCP you wan to stick to the codec you normally use if possible.
  • NOTE: On Mac you have to deselect Key every frame option.
  • Quality up to the user preference.
  • Import the render into FCP, just make sure the alpha is active.

2. RGB + Alpha Sequential Image file:

• File / Render
  • Select RGB (Channel)
  • Select Matte (Channel)
  • Set the appropriate Range to Export (the default is the project In/Out)
  • Export to - image Sequence and click Next
  • Set the output directory.
  • Prefix (name of file excluding the numbering).
  • Index start will be the number of the first file.
  • Index width will be the number of digits used for numbering i.e. if set to 3 the file will be filename_001
  • Choose the desired Extension / Format. Note only Format that allow embedded alpha channels will work. For instance .targa
  • Import the rendered sequence into FCP, just make sure the alpha is active.

Hi,

thanks for your reply. I tried to follow your instructions, but it wouldn’t let me change the codec because of the licence. I assume because it is a trial it won’t let me do it! However, I want to know if it works before I decide to buy! :o
—End Quote—

The licence distributed with Digitalarts should allow render?

Please go to Help/View Licence and cope the licence then email to Websop@imagineersystems.com attention Jay. So I can have a look at the issue.

Can you confirm that you used the Motor installer from the Digital Arts CD.

Hi,

thanks for your reply. I tried to follow your instructions, but it wouldn’t let me change the codec because of the licence. I assume because it is a trial it won’t let me do it! However, I want to know if it works before I decide to buy! :o

The websop email address doesn’t work!

Having clicked view licence it only offers me a host id and the box for the licence file is empty.

Thanks