No multithreading?

Hi all,

I just got CS5 and I was testing out Mocha 2.20 for CS5 and I’m very disappointed with the performance.

I have a 980x (6 core - 12 virtual cores) system. When I try tracking in Mocha I see that my CPU maxes out at only 8% usage!

Are there any plans to add in multithreading soon? It’s incredibly frustrating to have the fastest single i7 processor on the market and see only 1 core being used!

Thanks,

Paul

I posted on this as well - the slowness of the software working even on 2k 32-bit plates on win 7 64 on i7 machines is extremely frustrating. It takes 30 seconds just to save a file. Converting to 8-bit certainly helps, but for $1k software, it’s really unimpressive. I hope, whether it’s through multithreading or GPU, this is solved quickly. Some roto artists at our shop were looking forward to Mocha 2 but it’s not looking like a cost-effective upgrade at this point relative to the standard pushed by the producers, Silhouette 4.

I posted on this as well - the slowness of the software working even on 2k 32-bit plates on win 7 64 on i7 machines is extremely frustrating. It takes 30 seconds just to save a file. Converting to 8-bit certainly helps, but for $1k software, it’s really unimpressive. I hope, whether it’s through multithreading or GPU, this is solved quickly. Some roto artists at our shop were looking forward to Mocha 2 but it’s not looking like a cost-effective upgrade at this point relative to the standard pushed by the producers, Silhouette 4.

Yeah… Tried 2.01. It’s faster, but it’s the difference between walking and running when you’re used to driving a car. Is the Mac version under Snow Leopard similarly hobbled? Since the Mac has that “Traffic Light” or whatever they call it to allow non-multithreaded programs to run on many procs…

Yeah… Tried 2.01. It’s faster, but it’s the difference between walking and running when you’re used to driving a car. Is the Mac version under Snow Leopard similarly hobbled? Since the Mac has that “Traffic Light” or whatever they call it to allow non-multithreaded programs to run on many procs…

—Quote (Originally by J-P)—
It’s about 20x faster for large projects.
J-P
—End Quote—
That’s great to hear. Hopefully that’ll carry across to other aspects as you rewrite the old code.

—Quote (Originally by J-P)—
It’s about 20x faster for large projects.
J-P
—End Quote—
That’s great to hear. Hopefully that’ll carry across to other aspects as you rewrite the old code.

Hi Paul,

Tracking in mocha has some multi-threading, but nowhere near the level needed to use 12 or even 6 cores.

While we continue to make performance improvements to mocha (the latest version of mocha is at least 30% faster tracking than the one you have) we are not currently focussing on multi-core optimisations. Instead, we are expending effort on GPU acceleration, which has the potential for more significant performance improvements.

Best regards,

J-P

Hi Paul,
Tracking in mocha has some multi-threading, but nowhere near the level needed to use 12 or even 6 cores.
While we continue to make performance improvements to mocha (the latest version of mocha is at least 30% faster tracking than the one you have) we are not currently focussing on multi-core optimisations. Instead, we are expending effort on GPU acceleration, which has the potential for more significant performance improvements.
Best regards,
J-P

—Quote (Originally by dennitzio)—
It takes 30 seconds just to save a file
—End Quote—
We’ve fixed this internally, expect a massive improvement in project load/save times in mocha v2.0.2. It’s about 20x faster for large projects.
J-P

—Quote (Originally by dennitzio)—
It takes 30 seconds just to save a file
—End Quote—
We’ve fixed this internally, expect a massive improvement in project load/save times in mocha v2.0.2. It’s about 20x faster for large projects.

J-P

Hi Nick,
Try turning on Hardware Rendering in preferences and see if you get an improvement. We mainly added this to improve interactivity and rendering quality (especially motion blur). Performance will vary depending on the capabilities of your graphics card.
J-P

Hi Nick,

Try turning on Hardware Rendering in preferences and see if you get an improvement. We mainly added this to improve interactivity and rendering quality (especially motion blur). Performance will vary depending on the capabilities of your graphics card.

J-P

Hi John,
I noticed rendering in mocha V2.0.1 is also very slow & not using more
than 80% of one cpu. I’m running OS X 10.6.4 in 64bit boot fyi.
Will the next point release be better on Mac too?

Thanks,
Nick

Hi John,
I noticed rendering in mocha V2.0.1 is also very slow & not using more
than 80% of one cpu. I’m running OS X 10.6.4 in 64bit boot fyi.
Will the next point release be better on Mac too?
Thanks,
Nick

Hi J-P,
It is turned on, I have a 1GB GTX285 mac card in an 8 core 2.26 MacPro.
Would be nice to use more than 1 of those cores.
Nick

Hi J-P,
It is turned on, I have a 1GB GTX285 mac card in an 8 core 2.26 MacPro.
Would be nice to use more than 1 of those cores.

Nick

Hi all,
I just got CS5 and I was testing out Mocha 2.20 for CS5 and I’m very disappointed with the performance.
I have a 980x (6 core - 12 virtual cores) system. When I try tracking in Mocha I see that my CPU maxes out at only 8% usage!
Are there any plans to add in multithreading soon? It’s incredibly frustrating to have the fastest single i7 processor on the market and see only 1 core being used!
Thanks,
Paul

mocha v2.0.1 (full version) was just released and should speed up performance greatly on Windows OS.

Press release is here:
http://www.imagineersystems.com/company/news/215

Best,
Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems

mocha v2.0.1 (full version) was just released and should speed up performance greatly on Windows OS.
Press release is here:
http://www.imagineersystems.com/company/news/215
Best,
Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems