Noob question on best way to proceed

Hello!
I’m new to Mocha Pro… with Version 2.6.2 build 4468. I have a personal project that I’m working on and I’ve been able to figure out quite a bit already, but I have something in specific that eludes my grasp… so I’m asking for a little help on which way to proceed
I’ve uploaded an image to make things easier… please see attached for reference
I have a digital character that I’m adding to a scene and it is attached to the track on layer 9…
I created a second layer, layer 10 , and I’m tracking the rock overhang right above it because I want it to obscure the digital character to make it look like it is in the cave… Now, if I use as the insert clip my original footage… it looks like it does what I want but it only works on the first frame… every other frame after that looks like it is way offset (look at second attachment) I know this is something I’m overlooking or not understanding… but what is the best way to accomplish what I want to do? Your help is greatly, greatly appreciated…
thanks in advance
Bryan

Hi Mary!
Unfortunately, I’m just about to leave home to an event at my kids school, but I prepared this for you, hopefully this will help a little…
http://www.kkstudio.us/cc/issue/issue.html
It shows what’s happening… I’d use a static image, but the way the shot is, since perspective changes… I don’t know how well it would work (but then again, I’m just learning… so what do I know? heh heh
Thanks for the help Mary… I really appreciate it
Bryan

Hello!

I’m new to Mocha Pro… with Version 2.6.2 build 4468. I have a personal project that I’m working on and I’ve been able to figure out quite a bit already, but I have something in specific that eludes my grasp… so I’m asking for a little help on which way to proceed

I’ve uploaded an image to make things easier… please see attached for reference

I have a digital character that I’m adding to a scene and it is attached to the track on layer 9…
I created a second layer, layer 10 , and I’m tracking the rock overhang right above it because I want it to obscure the digital character to make it look like it is in the cave… Now, if I use as the insert clip my original footage… it looks like it does what I want but it only works on the first frame… every other frame after that looks like it is way offset (look at second attachment) I know this is something I’m overlooking or not understanding… but what is the best way to accomplish what I want to do? Your help is greatly, greatly appreciated…

thanks in advance

Bryan

Hi Mary

Heh, heh… this is where my ignorance of the concept and the program shows… :slight_smile: I didn’t think of that. (or over-thought it). just render out the clip and inverse luma mat in AE… that will do it…

The insert of the guy is because I’m using mocha to get tracking data to composite him in AE (which I’m also having some issues with… it is not as rock solid as what I see in mocha)… that was going to be my next question. my base comp and the rendered guy are the same size… The track is almost there, but there’s some drift… The only thing that is not the same, is the frame rate… Mocha brings in the “guy” comp at 29.97, but it is actually 30.(which is what it is in AE). should I reinterpret the footage to 29.97 in AE?

Thank you Mary!

Hi Mary!

Unfortunately, I’m just about to leave home to an event at my kids school, but I prepared this for you, hopefully this will help a little…

http://www.kkstudio.us/cc/issue/issue.html

It shows what’s happening… I’d use a static image, but the way the shot is, since perspective changes… I don’t know how well it would work (but then again, I’m just learning… so what do I know? heh heh

Thanks for the help Mary… I really appreciate it

Bryan

Hi Mary…
Thanks for replying… I do see what you mean, I tried using a single frame before but the results were not exactly what I wanted due to the changes in light, perspective, distance… etc (see attached)
Is there any way to get around this?.. or do I just have to live with it? (or re-shoot?.. nooooo)
thanks for the help!
Bryan

Hi Mary…

Thanks for replying… I do see what you mean, I tried using a single frame before but the results were not exactly what I wanted due to the changes in light, perspective, distance… etc (see attached)

Is there any way to get around this?.. or do I just have to live with it? (or re-shoot?.. nooooo)

thanks for the help!

Bryan

Hi Mary
Heh, heh… this is where my ignorance of the concept and the program shows… :slight_smile: I didn’t think of that. (or over-thought it). just render out the clip and inverse luma mat in AE… that will do it…
The insert of the guy is because I’m using mocha to get tracking data to composite him in AE (which I’m also having some issues with… it is not as rock solid as what I see in mocha)… that was going to be my next question. my base comp and the rendered guy are the same size… The track is almost there, but there’s some drift… The only thing that is not the same, is the frame rate… Mocha brings in the “guy” comp at 29.97, but it is actually 30.(which is what it is in AE). should I reinterpret the footage to 29.97 in AE?
Thank you Mary!

Hi Mary!
that is the thing… under clip, if I change to the insert clip I’m using… the option to change the frame rate greys out… when I change it back to my background comp… I can change that one… but not my clip I imported to insert…

Hi Mary!

that is the thing… under clip, if I change to the insert clip I’m using… the option to change the frame rate greys out… when I change it back to my background comp… I can change that one… but not my clip I imported to insert…

Or you can just delete your insert clip and reload it in at the proper frame rate.
:slight_smile:
Mary

It looks like the rock isn’t moving with the shot, and that it’s sampling from the first frame but then moving to other parts of the frame. You might need to apply your tracking data to a precomp of a still frame (use the freeze frame effect) and the mask.
Without truly seeing everything in motion though that is just a guess.
You can try to screenshare with me on skype later today, I am mary.poplin
Cheers,
Mary

It looks like the rock isn’t moving with the shot, and that it’s sampling from the first frame but then moving to other parts of the frame. You might need to apply your tracking data to a precomp of a still frame (use the freeze frame effect) and the mask.

Without truly seeing everything in motion though that is just a guess.

You can try to screenshare with me on skype later today, I am mary.poplin

Cheers,
Mary

When you put the clip into mocha you can change the frame rate to 30. You can change it now even in the clip settings and then re-export the shape data or the tracking data as you need it.
You don’t need to render out the matte, you can just export the shape data in the track tab of mocha. Copy it. And go to edit, paste mocha mask (on the first frame of your AE comp on the layer you want to matte out).
Hope that helps!
Mary

OK, your insert clip is inside that shape, and is playing, that’s all. You need to composite this in a compositing program, and use a freeze frame in that section. Or you need to load that into the insert tab using only a single frame of the insert clip and aligning the surface in the first frame.
Do you see what I mean?
Cheers,
Mary

OK, your insert clip is inside that shape, and is playing, that’s all. You need to composite this in a compositing program, and use a freeze frame in that section. Or you need to load that into the insert tab using only a single frame of the insert clip and aligning the surface in the first frame.

Do you see what I mean?

Cheers,
Mary

So you’re not putting a new rock face in? I guess I am a bit confused about why you’re trying to use the insert tool to put a guy inside the cave.
Just roto the rocks. And composite them in over the top in another program. Is something obscuring the rocks for some reason and that’s why you’re trying to insert them over the top like this?
Otherwise, just roto the rocks and composite them in AE or any other compositing program.

So you’re not putting a new rock face in? I guess I am a bit confused about why you’re trying to use the insert tool to put a guy inside the cave.

Just roto the rocks. And composite them in over the top in another program. Is something obscuring the rocks for some reason and that’s why you’re trying to insert them over the top like this?

Otherwise, just roto the rocks and composite them in AE or any other compositing program.

When you put the clip into mocha you can change the frame rate to 30. You can change it now even in the clip settings and then re-export the shape data or the tracking data as you need it.

You don’t need to render out the matte, you can just export the shape data in the track tab of mocha. Copy it. And go to edit, paste mocha mask (on the first frame of your AE comp on the layer you want to matte out).

Hope that helps!

Mary

Or you can just delete your insert clip and reload it in at the proper frame rate.

Mary