Not Responding

Hi,
I have just downloaded and installed Particle Illusion Standalone on my Windows 10 (64Bit) PC. The hardware is :
AMD Ryzen 9 3950X CPU
ASUS ROG STRIX X570 - E Ganing Motherboard.
Corsair Vengeance 128GB 3600 Memory
ZOTAC (Nvidia) Geforce GTX 1080 Graphics card with 8GB RAM

Unfortunately when I try to run the software the screen goes white and I get the dreaded “Not responding” meassge. Has any one seen this before or have a possible solution.

To keep this topic going…
Sorry, I have AMD Ryzen 9 300X, RX480 OC 8GB, 32GB RAM, and have no problems starting the Standalone version of PI.
I also have Continuum 2020.5 Complete, and PI works there also.
Possible graphics driver problem? I’d re-download the program again and reinstall it.
Did you install it on the C: drive?

Also, what nvidia driver are you using? Studio or Gaming and is it the latest version?

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I am using the Latest Nvidia Studio drivers and I have totally removed the software twice, downloaded the software again and re-installed. Same results.

Re-downloading is almost never the answer – the chances of the file being corrupted while downloading are almost zero.
Re-installing is almost never the answer either, unless something strange happened during install.

Have you already rebooted to see if the issue remains?

Graphics drivers on Windows are almost always the problem with PI, but since you’re running the latest Studio drivers, that might not be the case here. Do you have a second monitor? Is your anti-virus software interfering? Have you tried changing screen resolutions?

A last resort may be to download an older version of the Studio drivers.

Only other suggestion I’ve got is a driver cleaning and reinstall. Kind of a hail mary as I can’t say I’ve needed it with PI. Have to do this every once in a while for Vegas Pro.

For those of you who might still be interested, I have made some progress. I started Windows under msconfig in Diagnostic mode and found that PI works perfectly. I went through all of the services and switched off those that were not Microsoft or from other software providers that I did not recognise. Rebooting into normal mode PI now works. I now have to go through each or the remaining services to find which is the culprit.

Hi Jghford,

Thanks for the detective work. Let us know what you find out.

Thanks,
Linh

Finally solved the issue. It is all down to Nahimic services which is associated with Realtec and ASUS and gets installed with other software provided on the drivers disk by ASUS. Lots of complaints about this on ROG sites. Will now delete non essential ASUS and Realtek Audio software and keep nahimic services switched off.