Nuke vs BFX

OK, so I wasn’t sure where to post this because this is about the BFX Suite rather than just one program.

On today’s BFX Live, the guest artist mentioned about working in Nuke as well as BFX. What would be the advantages of using Nuke (which I’ve never touched) vs the BFX Suite. I’ve checked out the Foundry site and it looks like Nuke and BFX have a lot of the same feature sets.
So what’s the advantage of one over the other?
Thanks

Nuke is a compositing program with features designed for feature films — like “deep compositing” and 3D workspace.

While there are many overlaps in features with various tools found in Boris FX Suite products (tracking, paint, keying, etc) the Suite is not a replacement for Nuke.

It all depends on what your job is and what kind of projects you work on. For example, there are customers that use Silhouette and Mocha Pro as their primary tool for rotoscoping, paint and fixing types of projects.

Generally we consider the Boris FX Suite to be the best-in-class add-on to VFX applications like Nuke, Flame or Fusion.

Hope this helps.

Hi Bruce and thanks for your question!

It wouldn’t be quite correct to compare these things, because this is not an apples-to-apples comparison. I’ll try to explain:

Nuke/After Effects/Fusion/Avid - all of these programs are something that is called Hosts. The host is your “main” program, inside which you can do your composing and editing work. Everybody chooses a host depending on their needs and projects.

The Boris FX Suite is a set of tools and plugins that can be run inside a host. This means that, by having a BFX Suite, you basically extend the default host’s toolset. Some tools may overlap or give similar results, but the rest will add something new, that wasn’t already there natively.

Also, some of the Boris FX Products (Mocha Pro, Silhouette, Particle Illusion) can run even without a host. They have both Standalone and OFX versions, so depending on your needs, you can choose what works best for you.