Optics 2022.5.2 crashes on Win11 Workstation (SAL and PS Plugin)

Hi together, today i updated my Optics 2022.5.1.31 to the latest available version 2022.5.2. Bad news, with the new 2022.5.2 version, Optics always crashes. In the standalone version and also as Photoshop Plugin. Here Optics already crash, when i try to import/open a picture in the stand alone version and as Photoshop Plugin i disapear once i try to open out of PS. Disable GPU effects in Optics and also Live Preview didn’t fix my problem. So i went back to 2022.5.1.31 which works for me.

I’m running a HPZ2 workstation with latest Windows 11 pro 64bit (22H2 - 22621.963) , 12th Gen Intel Core i9-12900K, 3.2 Ghz, 32gb Ram, Nvidia 3060 (Studio Driver 527.56 from 08.Dec. 2022).

Any idea, how to solve my problem?

BR. Werner

Optics 2022.5.2 was a minor release and should not be causing a crash for you if 2022.5.1 was working. Can you go to C:\Users<user>\AppData\Local\BorisFX\Optics 2022\ and provide me with the analytics.txt and optics.log files?

Marco, of course, i attached the file. PLease note, that i went back to 2022.5.1, so in case you cant see something about 2022.5.2 in the logfile, i can install 2022.5.2 to do the tests again.
Many thanks for your support!
Werner

analytics.txt (741 Bytes)

optics.log.txt (80 Bytes)

Had to rename the log file to txt - was not alowed to upload as a log file

The log does show anything useful.

Can you please do the following:

• Install Optics 2022.5.2.
  • In the Windows search box on the taskbar, type regedit, then select Registry Editor from the results.
  • Go to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BorisFX
  • Delete the Optics 2022 folder
  • Run Optics

Can you open an image now?

Hi Marco,

first of all, many thanks for your support!

I did install 2022.5.2.34 as you mentioned in your reply , removed borisfx optics from the registry, and opened optics. Same result - optics crash when i start the stand alone version. Means, Optics starts normal, i can check licesne, change preferences etc. but once i load a picture (File-Open), the picture is loading, but shortly after i can see it on the screen inside optics, optics crash without any error message. Same happened with the PS-Plugin Version.

After this test, I disabeled in the preferences “GPU-Rendering” and it seems to work in Stand Alone Version and Photoshop Plugin version as well.

Probaly there is an issue with GPU Rendering with the Nvidia drivers? Can i provide you more information, logfiles etc. so that you can investigate this problem?

BR.
Werner

I would suggest removing and then reinstalling the nVidia driver. If it still does not work with GPU enabled, I would revert to an earlier driver.

Hi Marco, reinstallted the latest Nvidia Drivers, did a test, and same issue again. Deinstalled the latest Nvidia Drivers and went back to 527.37 and 526.98 but error still the same. Only with diasbled GPU Optics works as Stand Alone and PS-Plugin otherwise it crashes.

Any further ideas?

BR.
Werner

Hi Werner, does your system happen to have dual graphics cards? For instance, does it have an Intel UHD integrated graphics card on the motherboard in addition to the nVidia 3060 card?

Hi Werner,

perhaps the following approach will help:

1. uninstall the Nvidia drivers with “Display Driver Uninstaller”, see here Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.5.9
  2. then restart the computer (unfortunately important).
  3. download and install the latest Nvidia Studio driver, which in my case is version 527.56. Do not download the “game ready” driver.

This helped me in a similar situation.

I should always read the complete thread :slight_smile:
You already had the latest Studio driver installed, but maybe a reinstallation would help.

Martin

Yup, there is an Intel Onboard Graphiccard in, but i already disabled it in the BIOS. Right now, windows 11 doesn’t see the onboard Graphiccard. It only recognize the RTX3060 as graphic adapter.

Your issue is consistent with the system using the integrated graphics card instead. I know these instructions work with a dual card system. Maybe enable the integrated graphics card in the Bios and follow these instructions.

• Dual Graphics Cards - Windows Systems
    Some systems dual graphics cards–one integrated on the motherboard and a second, dedicated card. When you are on a desktop PC with a graphics card, it should use the dedicated graphics card and ignore the integrated GPU if it’s connected to the motherboard. But this is not always the case, as a laptop uses both the integrated and dedicated GPU. Whether desktop or laptop, sometimes the system makes the wrong choice as to which card to use. Since Optics does not support integrated graphics cards, this can cause a hang if it is selected. To force Optics to use the dedicated graphics card on Windows:
    • Open Settings with Win + I.
    • Go to System > Display.
    • Scroll down to Related Settings and select Graphics.
    • Look for Optics in the list. If you can’t find it there, click Browse, navigate to its location and select the Optics.exe file. For Optics 2022, the folder is: C:\Program Files\BorisFX\Optics 2022
    • Now, click Options.
    • You will see the Graphics Preferences window, select High performance, and click Save.

Martin, you did it. Followed your advice to do a complet uninstall with the software you mentioned and it solved the problem! I have no idea, how this issue in general could happen, as i did a complete fresh installation on a brandnew workstation, but your fix, with uninstalling helped! Optical now works without any problem. Thanks for your help!

Werner

Marco, my problem was gone, once i did the complete uninstall of the Nvidia drivers, like Martin mentioned in his article. Furthermore i insterted also your settings on the graphic card (for the dual graphic card), as this was missing in the Windows system settings.

Right now Optical works perfect!

Thanks for your great and quick support!

Werner

Werner, glad you got it working. Thanks Martin for your advice. It is odd that Windows required a restart for the graphics driver update. It is worth noting that on some Windows updates that the manufacturer’s graphics driver is replaced with a generic Windows version that does not play well with GPU accelerated programs.