Optics crashes

hi, just installed the optics trial. everytime i chose the image- oder the light-tab, the program crashes. any ideas?

What OS/version are you running?
Are you running the Optics standalone or Photoshop/Lightroom plug-in?

Same problem here, except I have the full registered version. I gave up and just use it stand-alone when I remember and want to bother. The Luminar tab works fine, I use that all the time…still…bc remembering to open optics is dumb.

Newest version of PS, too, on Macbook Pro Catalina 10.15.7

On our machines in the same configuration, all is working as expected. If you are experiencing problems, it is best to file a support ticket here: https://borisfx.com/support/open-a-case/ as it is easier to handle issues this way. Thanks.

OS is Windows 10. Optics crashes in standalone and in plugin use. AMD FX 6300, 8GB RAM, R9 270x Graphics.

For the Windows AMD issue, can you try turning off SMT (Simultaneous multi-threading) in the bios and see if that makes a difference?

For the Mac issue, it is best to file a support ticket here: https://borisfx.com/support/open-a-case/ and provide a Mac crash report.

Hi I am new to Boris Optics, thought I would give it a try on the trial installation. Glad I did. Crashes when using as a stand alone, through Photoshop and through Lightroom. Raised a ticket and reply was 'Techies are aware of the issue and working to resolve… Other people have had the same problem. End of conversation. No follow up, explanation or suggestions.
Pretty poor I thought as the whole idea is to make the work load easier for my business.
I was quite excited to try out the Boris Optics. The follow ups and replies has given me very little faith in the system and so glad I did not purchase it outright which was my plan. If anyone has any suggestions I am open to ideas.

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems. Can you please give us the details of your computer specs, operating saying and video card so we have more details?

@Chorlton Can you please provide me with your Boris FX support case number so I can review the details of your case?

Hi Marco do you want me to put the ref in the forum?

Hi Marco just want to check. Do you want me to put the reference in the forum. With regards to my PC
HP Quad Core Intel I7-6700T Processor up to 3.6GHz, 12GB DDR4 Memory, 2TB 7200rpm. Windows 10.

It would be helpful if you could private message me with your full name, email address and support reference number. Thanks.

Hi new to Boris. Just read through the info and I believe I cannot message as a new member?

I just sent you a message.

Please note that Optics requires a certain level of graphics card. Specifically, Optics works best with the a minimum of these graphics cards:

• NVIDIA GTX 460 or better
  • AMD Radeon 57xx series or better
  • OpenGL 2.1 capable graphics card
  • OpenCL 1.1 capable graphic card

It is also suggested that you install the most recent graphics driver from the manufacturer’s website.

If you are using older graphics cards and are encountering issues with freezing, please do the following:

• Run Optics.
  • Select the File > Preferences menu on Windows or the Optics > Preferences menu on Mac.
  • Change GPU Rendering from Enabled to Disabled.

If you are running a dual graphics card setup with an integrated lower performance card along side a high performance card, you may need to tell the operating system to use the higher performance card. Instructions for Windows systems can be found here: Problem with dual video card laptop and Optics

So I replied to this thread a week ago indicating Optics crashes Photoshop upon choosing it from the ‘edit’ menu.

Marco the moderator dude suggested I open a support ticket, which I did, then he apparently DELETED MY ORIGINAL COMPLAINT IN THIS THREAD. Sleezy.

Then support asked me to check error dialog boxes…which I told them are not being generated at all…to figure out the problem. Here’s a literal quote snipped from the last reply…yesterday, a week after opening the ticket: “Because there are no error messages or crash logs, we are guessing… we can make educated guesses, but there aren’t any obvious clues.”

Boris support is real bad at making me feel like they give a darn.

If a post was deleted, it was by mistake. Sorry about that.

I am not sure why support is not escalating issues they can’t handle to the developers, but I will talk to them. Can you private message me your full name and email address and I will review your support case? Thanks.

Customer support is incredibly important to our company and we are sorry that you have not had a good first experience.

Please note that your initial post in this thread was not deleted. Scroll up and you will see it.

I have reviewed the support case and from the initial report, the problem was not obvious. On all of our test machines, Optics runs without issue. We are happy to diagnose and get to the root of the problem, but that requires a bit of back and forth as part of the process.

The support representative’s last response to you was: “Because there are no error messages or crash logs, we are guessing… we can make educated guesses, but there aren’t any obvious clues. Does it open any images at all? Lower resolutions? Different formats?”

You responded with: “I have to say, you guys suck at guessing” and did not answer the questions.

I will reply to you through our support system and if you are willing to answer our questions and spend time diagnosing the issue, we are happy to.

Sincerely,

Marco the moderator dude

Hi this email looks like it is going to me for some reason, but I am not having an issue here. Maybe it is going to the whole beta group and it just looks like it is going here?

Thanks,
Todd

Hi Todd, this thread is in the Optics forum. I know it looks like support, but sometimes users come to the forum for support.