[UPDATE: a hypothesis is licensing related. See lower reply.]
Hope this isn’t duplicate (I did spend a few hours searching and trying my own (failed) troubleshooting before posting). Any pointers to get better logs, diagnostics, or other tips to resolve this would be appreciated.
- (minor) launching Optics goes unresponsive for 5-10 seconds (if try to click/mouse, it adds “Not Responding” to the Windows title)
- (killer) trying to apply filters - (I only use the S_LensFlare and S_LightLeak), it seems to go into cycles of being responsive for 5-8 seconds - e.g. dynamic, responsive light-effects with changing controls, then will freeze for about 10-15 seconds. Constantly. Repeatedly.
- This applies if I try to adjust any controls on-image, OR if I use any settings-sliders.
- Every “first” try to manipulate anything seems to go “Not Responding” and freeze for 10-15 seconds before anything is usable.
- Changing an effect, same 10-15 second everything frozen.
- Changing a layer, transparency, etc., same 10-15 seconds everything frozen.
Bottom line: what should take 1-2 minutes to decide an effect and apply to an image takes - quite literally - 20-60 minutes. For one image.
This didn’t seem to happen some months ago when I first purchased. Since then there have been many windows & drivers updates, an Optics version update, etc. I don’t use daily and primarily purchased only for ‘lens’ type effects to enhance some landscape/travel photography.
Unfortunately at this point, it’s effectively bricked for me.
Things I’ve tried:
- updated NVidia drivers
- ensured all Windows updates applied
- tried the GPU tips in Windows and NVidia control panel in this other thread
- tried different Preview resolution, GPU rendering on/off, Downsampling settings within Optics
- tried normal images in variety of cases (larger 40+ megapixels, smaller 10 megapixels, TIF/JPG, 8-bit depth, 16-bit depth, etc.)
- ran stand-alone and invoked as PS plugin
- ran Optics with nothing else running (like no background YouTube vid, etc.)
- inspected with Process Monitor
** usually taking < 1 GB RAM - so plenty more available
** when ‘frozen’ seems only taking 0-1% CPU, so that doesn’t seem an issue
** watching threads/tasks, seems mostly Optics.exe, nvopencl64.dll, nvoglv64.dll in use. When it “is” responsive, I see a bunch of ucrtbase.dll threads in action, and they seem to fall out of use when it becomes non-responsive again. (But I am not expert enough to have any clue if this means anything.)
Any advice or tips to troubleshoot, or find more details would be appreciated. I’m happy to help diagnose, but right now am really frustrated as it’s completely unusable for me.