Organic Roto Help

i almost always key hair. Usually if I can’t key it some how (diff, luma, color) then I give the subject a hair cut. If it’s a must roto situation, I’ll track different planes on the head - front side top back - paint a frame of good hair in Photoshop, use the tracking info in Shake to ‘paste’ it on. Ideally they won’t move too much. if they turn away from the camera, let the shape ‘disappear’ into their head rotoshape. You may have to manually track individual hair and you may have to manually ‘bend’ them using a warper or morpher. nasty
You still need a fairly tight head shape that’s an actual rotoshape and then place your painted hair behind it. You’re not roto-ing the hair so much as cutting off and creating new ones.
You may not be able to keep the fake hair for more than a couple frames as the track may drift. you can create a new hair piece for every 10 frames (or whatever) and cross fade these in and out. I’ll do that with backgrounds that won’t track well, too.
There are motion keyer’s out there, too that might give you enough detail to sell the shot.

T

Hey Everyone,
I have been using Mocha primarily for organic rotoscoping. I have watched the tutorial at:
http://www.imagineersystems.com/products/monet/Dusty_Organic_Roto.mp4
a zillion times.

The problem I am running into, my person turns around (IE: face disapears and reappears) and hair gets tossed everywhere (on shoulder at first, then in air, and back on shoulder again).

Does anyone know of any tutorials or have any tips to help roto these situations?

Thanks,
Vazy

The only tip that I can offer is a cool trick.

Before tracking your shapes, try actually doing a rough quick roto and add some keyframes (every 20-60 frames depending on the movement).

Essentially you add some basic keyframes, then track. You will find that this technique will help the shape stay tighter while tracking but it is not a good method for getting track data only roto’ing. Adding the anchor point keyframes helps the shapes stay on the desired track area.

Beypnd this, you may want to check out:
http://www.curiousturtle.com/en/component/content/article/47-products/140-rock-steady-successful-tracking.html

I have not watched the roto section, but in general Ben’s tutorials are always excellent.

Hope this helps.
-R