Paint Tools (Clone, Grain, Blemish) appearing darker than source

Hi all!

Love Silhouette and have been using it for a few years and it’s worked perfectly.

However, I’ve noticed in a new a project that when I paint from a source it appears darker, almost like a gamma issue. This occurs on clone stamp, blemish and any other tool. It makes blending and painting frames almost impossible as I’m having to compensate for it.

I’ve checked all my settings and can’t find anything that’s changed.

Interestingly, when I use Silhouette Paint it works perfectly. No issues with the darkened paint. My footage is ARRI Alexa 3840x2160 encoded into ProRes 4444.

Appreciate any help in advance!

Cheers,

Chriis

Hi Chriis,

Can you make sure you are running the most recent version of Silhouette? This was a bug but it has recently been addressed and fixed.

Cheers,
Mary

Hi Mary!

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I’m running Silhouette 2021.5.0 Build 68. Seems to be the latest but let me dig in!

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Mary —

Just to do my due diligence, I downloaded the latest version from the BorisFX site and I’m still having the same issue. It feels subtle until you try and do more expressive work and the clone brush starts to fall apart — the brush edges also become hardened and darker per each mouse click / stylus stroke.

Very odd.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Mary —

Just as you dig into this I may have found a solution…looks like my footage was 12 bit and the project setting was 8 bit. I created a new project in 16 bit float and it may well do the trick. Will keep you posted.

Thank you!

Chris

Definitely let me know. Sounds like you found the solution.

Unfortunately bumping this back up. The issue has reared its head and I’m experiencing the same issues with the clone tool in the latest version of Silhouette.

Have tested this with AE 23.0.0 and AE 22.6.0 and have tried the same 32-bit Project Settings and it wouldn’t resolve this issue.

Let me know if you happen to have a fix.

Thanks,

Chris

I can’t reproduce this issue on my machines. Can you supply a download link with a few frames of the media and both the Silhouette and AE project files so I can take a look?

Hi Marco, thanks for your prompt response. You can find a package here.

A few notes:

• I painted one sample frame where you’ll see the Clone is discolored, skewing with less saturation the more you click or effect the panels.
  • When adding a viewing LUT, the frame was changing hues ever so slightly.
  • You may have trouble launching the Silhouette file from AE. This seems to be an issue with AE 23. I purged preferences to get it work before it broke again.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris, the Silhouette project was not included in your download, but I was able to create a new project and clone without any discoloration. Is it possible that you have the Clone > Grade controls adjusted which would explain the behavior you are seeing?

Ugh, sorry about that Marco. the Clone > Grade controls haven’t been touched. Let me keep noodling with this and see if I can find you a better example to recreate the issue.

Thank you!

Just closing the loop on this, in case it’s helpful to anyone in the future. After much agita I discovered the files I was given were encoded in ITU-R BT.2020, versus the standard 709. Not sure how that affected the software per se, but when I requested the files in 709 the issues disappeared.

Thanks for your help Marco.

Chris