Paint Tools (Clone, Grain, Blemish) appearing darker than source

Hi all!

Love Silhouette and have been using it for a few years and it’s worked perfectly.

However, I’ve noticed in a new a project that when I paint from a source it appears darker, almost like a gamma issue. This occurs on clone stamp, blemish and any other tool. It makes blending and painting frames almost impossible as I’m having to compensate for it.

I’ve checked all my settings and can’t find anything that’s changed.

Interestingly, when I use Silhouette Paint it works perfectly. No issues with the darkened paint. My footage is ARRI Alexa 3840x2160 encoded into ProRes 4444.

Appreciate any help in advance!

Cheers,

Chriis

Hi Chriis,

Can you make sure you are running the most recent version of Silhouette? This was a bug but it has recently been addressed and fixed.

Cheers,
Mary

Hi Mary!

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I’m running Silhouette 2021.5.0 Build 68. Seems to be the latest but let me dig in!

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Mary —

Just to do my due diligence, I downloaded the latest version from the BorisFX site and I’m still having the same issue. It feels subtle until you try and do more expressive work and the clone brush starts to fall apart — the brush edges also become hardened and darker per each mouse click / stylus stroke.

Very odd.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Mary —

Just as you dig into this I may have found a solution…looks like my footage was 12 bit and the project setting was 8 bit. I created a new project in 16 bit float and it may well do the trick. Will keep you posted.

Thank you!

Chris

Definitely let me know. Sounds like you found the solution.