Panasonic V-Log in S_OCIOTransform?

Greetings,

I’m looking to transform from Linear to Pansonic V-Log for comping purposes, but the only possible option I see is “Panalog” listed in the To/From drop downs. Does Panalog = V-Log or would 'V-Log" need to be a feature request? Thanks!

Continuing the discussion from Convert graded footage to V-Log:

Hello,

VLOG is not Panalog, they are different transforms. VLOG is part of ACES, so I think you would just need to update the OCIO config file and then add the appropriate luts to the Ocio luts folder.
Try this, we did a test for you…OCIO - Google Drive

Replace the OCIO.config file in the OCIO folder in the GenArts installation directory with this one and then add the VLOG lut to the luts folder.

Hope this helps,
Brian

1 Like

Awesome Brian!! Thanks for the info and for digging into this, much appreciated!! I downloaded the files and will circle back in a few days. Thanks again!

Hi Brian,

I just opened S_OCIOTransform with the new files, and I was kinda expecting that I was going to just see one new option for V-Log added, and would then just set my values as From: ‘linear’ and To: ‘v-log’, but I see that there’s 3 new options for V-Log at the very bottom, so I’m not exactly sure how to proceed. Please let me know. Thanks again!!!

Hi Brian,

Also, just wondering. Is there any special way I need to export my “transformed-v-log” background tiff sequence for compositing in Silhouette standalone v2020.5.7, with my v-log foreground talent tiff sequence? Thanks again!

Hi again Brian, just an update: I tried setting

1. From: ‘linear’
  2. To: ‘Input - Panasonic - Curve - V-Log’
  3. Exported the clip as a Tiff sequence
  4. Imported it into Silhouette v2020.5.7
  5. Set my LUT to 'VLOG to V709
    Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 5.48.02 PM
    But then I noticed that the “converted-to-V-Log” background TIFF sequence still looks kinda washed out/too bright.
    I was able to get the TIFF sequence to “look” pretty close to the original ‘linear’ version by adding a ‘High Contrast’ node followed by a ‘Shadows/Highlights’ node and tweaking the settings,
    Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 5.53.41 PM
    but it seams like something is not jiving in Silhouette with the “converted-to-V-Log” background clip.

As a test I also imported the “converted-to-V-Log” background TIFF sequence into After Effects and added a copy of the S_OCIOTransform plugin I had used for converting to V-Log, but hit the check box to “reverse To/From” and the TIFF sequence perfectly matched the color of the untouched original ‘liinear’ clip.

Please let me know your thoughts on how to get an exact color match for using the “converted-to-V-Log” background TIFF sequence in Silhouette. If you need me to provide any other info or clarification, just let me know. Thank you!!!