Parameter duplication in the Emitter and the Particle

I’m confused about the difference between the parameters for the Emitter and the Particle in Particle Illusion.
For example, there is an independent ‘Number’ option for both the emitter and particle. Both seem to increase the number of particles. What is the difference? If I increase one and decrease the other, do I get the same result?
This confusion is further compounded when you add Super Emitters.

Hi, I’m sure someone will give a better reply,

This is how i like to work out how PI works,
If you choose the Basic emitter.
untick all boxes & set everything at 0,
In the Over life options at the bottom set them to Constant 100.
That basically turns off all those controls,
Then only use the Life, Number, Size, Velocity & Weight options,
(all those options you’ve turned off just fine tune or manipulate the particles)

Here i have everything off except Life, Number, Size, Velocity & Weight;
Number set to 2
on screen it gives me 6 particles falling down

The emitter is set at 100

I like to think the emitter 100 is equivalent of 1 & so setting it at 50 would be ½,

for eg. the same emitter as the pics above,
Number set to 2, but the emitter is set at 50 instead of 100, giving me only 3 particles falling down, half as many as when set at 100.

Hope this makes sense :+1:

PS try changing the Emission Angle,
Then in the particle node only adjust the Life, Number, Size, Velocity & Weight options to see how they affect each other

then change the Emitter controls from 100,
here i changed the weight to 200, essentially doubling the weight set in the particle node, the particles now fall sooner & faster

The PI training videos cover this too. The older videos are in need of a refresh because the UI has changed, but “04 - Emitter Controls” talks about this.

Thanks, this is really useful. Treating the emitter parameters as ‘scale factors’ makes sense.
The video helps visualise what’s going on, particularly (pun intended) when he adds the additional particle type.

Thanks for this detailed breakdown.