Parenting Mocha data in AE?

I have some data I am using to track an object for some Particular work in AE. The track came out great, but now I would like to play with the original footage (a keyed out person) and move them around in x,y,z space and can’t figure out the best way to parent the data (which is on a null, with a light emitter parented to the keyframes) to the movement of the original footage.

Any ideas how to make the data stay on its target as I move it across a large swath of z-space?

Thanks.

Probably your best option is to parent the null to the footage and then make it a 3D object so the Z value moves relative to the parented layer. If it is locked on the same plane as the footage the motion should stay accurate when moving in depth. This does depend on Particular as well, but in theory it should work!

Probably your best option is to parent the null to the footage and then make it a 3D object so the Z value moves relative to the parented layer. If it is locked on the same plane as the footage the motion should stay accurate when moving in depth. This does depend on Particular as well, but in theory it should work!

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the suggestion. When I parent the null AND the emitter (which is parented to the null) to the original footage it works in all planes. I now remember someone explaining how AE works in a very mathematical and ordered structure and everything must be positioned in the proper order to read correctly. Which explains an hours worth of trial and error until hitting the right combination.

So, that is how I got it to work in this instance. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Just needed to also parent the Emitter to the original footage.

-Sean

I have some data I am using to track an object for some Particular work in AE. The track came out great, but now I would like to play with the original footage (a keyed out person) and move them around in x,y,z space and can’t figure out the best way to parent the data (which is on a null, with a light emitter parented to the keyframes) to the movement of the original footage.
Any ideas how to make the data stay on its target as I move it across a large swath of z-space?
Thanks.

Hi Martin,
Thanks for the suggestion. When I parent the null AND the emitter (which is parented to the null) to the original footage it works in all planes. I now remember someone explaining how AE works in a very mathematical and ordered structure and everything must be positioned in the proper order to read correctly. Which explains an hours worth of trial and error until hitting the right combination.
So, that is how I got it to work in this instance. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Just needed to also parent the Emitter to the original footage.
-Sean