Particle Illusion 2021 free won't install properly

Hello, I’ve downloaded Particle Illusion free 2021 and can’t get it installed.
PI 2021 when installed, just brings up a blank white page for about 1 sec. then disappears.
PI 2020 installs and works fine.
I’ve installed and uninstalled several times but nothing works.
Support couldn’t help (PI free doesn’t qualify for support) and directed me to this forum.
Any information or suggestions greatly appreciated.
Using Windows 10

Thank you

I saw a similar thing yesterday when installing PI 2021 on a new Windows machine. I saw the PI screen come up for a second, but then my Avast anti-virus popped up a window saying it was checking the app. After it closed PI was no longer visible, and even if I ran PI again it would not show up.

A reboot fixed it – PI works fine now. Have you restarted the machine?

Yes, I’ve rebooted several times and uninstalled and re-installed and even re-downloaded the app about three times. Same thing every time.
The log says that every install event was successful.
PI 2020 works flawlessly… same computer. I did uninstall 2020 before trying all of the above…

Do you have more than one monitor? We know some people are having trouble with that…

No, just one.

I too am having issues running PI2021, PI2020 installed, and ran fine, installed PI2021, seemed to install correctly, but when attempting to run, I get a dialog box telling me there PI has stopped working.
Win 8 pc, NVIDIA GTX960. Tried restarting PC, did not fix problem.

Check and see if there is a newer driver available from NVIDIA’s site.

Hello,
I can’t use the new Particle Illusion standalone 14.0.2 under last Windows 10 Pro.
I’ve installed twice, same issue it popup half second then collapse.
The previous version was working fine.

Here is the log:

Description
Faulting application name: Particle Illusion.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x600b2d10
Faulting module name: Qt5Core.dll, version: 5.15.1.0, time stamp: 0x5f506b86
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000004d46
Faulting process id: 0x3dc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6f5b55fa263e5
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\BorisFX\Particle Illusion Standalone\14\lib\ParticleIllusion\Particle Illusion.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\BorisFX\Particle Illusion Standalone\14\lib\ParticleIllusion\Qt5Core.dll
Report Id: d22a3f0b-fbb9-437b-9361-11e6d9e90a50
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID

Thanks for help

It would be helpful to do a screenshare on one of the machines which are getting the error immediately after launch so we can look for corrupted preferences files. If any of you who are seeing this problem would be able to participate in a Team Viewer screenshare session please send me a note off list either as a private message through the forum or email:
jclement at borisfx dot com

-Jason

After several trials I finally got version PI 2021 installed on a laptop where 2020.5 was running before and it seems to word fine.
But on the desktop where I run 2 screens and was using PI 2020.5 also the dropdown menue does not work. I have to quit the program with Shift CTRL and Delete.
If I want to use PI I need to switch back to one sceen only. After PI 2021 is running I can switch back to 2 screens.

As Jason said in the post above yours, it would be helpful to do a screenshare with somebody who is having this problem, as we have not been able to reproduce it ourselves. (See the email details in his post)

I have an issue with the app launching on MacOSx Big Sur.

I made a video on the error too: https://youtu.be/HG8xAxD0iG4

Here’s the error code:

Process: Particle Illusion [15134]
Path: /Applications/Boris FX Particle Illusion 2021 Standalone/Particle Illusion.app/Contents/MacOS/Particle Illusion
Identifier: com.borisfx.particle-illusion
Version: 14 . 0 . 2 . 695 (14 . 0 . 2 . 695)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: Particle Illusion [15134]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2021-02-08 19:15:19.327 +0100
OS Version: macOS 11.2 (20D64)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: 95453B07-97E7-5AFC-62DC-023793EC7F90

Sleep/Wake UUID: ACB92889-2726-49EE-BA87-C5BC21A46CED

Time Awake Since Boot: 340000 seconds
Time Since Wake: 270000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [15134]

VM Regions Near 0:
–>
__TEXT 100533000-100f77000 [ 10.3M] r-x/r-x SM=COW /Applications/Boris FX Particle Illusion 2021 Standalone/Particle Illusion.app/Contents/MacOS/Particle Illusion

I wouldn’t mind also showing it how it happens.

Could you please attach the full contents of the mac error dialog? You posted the top section of the error report above, but it would be helpful if we could have the full contents to analyze.

Cheers,
Jason

I tried but it was too many characters so the forum would not allow me that’s why I added the video. Also it speaks of links and only two links even if I have no links.

I had trouble too/ installing - I do have a good system - and for my Win10 - it just happened to create a vcruntime 140_1dll error. After searching microsoft and a legit youtube vid on dll error fix - i installed necessary files (4 total) - it installed and works just fine now - So my point is this - Your pc might not have these runtime files installed - just search for this vcruntime140_1dll error thing and install the fixes/files to fix error - whether or not you have the error - you just might not have these runtimes installled? This was my case…

@pcgamerguitarist, thanks, I’ll check that out. 2021 does run on my laptop but I need Coke bottle glasses to see anything. I just installed 2020 and all the emitters (all the way back to the Wonder Touch days) folder by folder, back on my Desktop. I really hate to uninstall it all again though. I guess I could copy all the user emitters into one folder. I’ll try it.

Turns out that I do have Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable that contains vcruntime 140.dll and is working fine. I have other programs that need vcruntime 140.dll and they’re working fine.
@ Alan_Lorence. I read in another post that you selected the emitters to use and didn’t like some of the older ones. I can not believe that no one has a use for a cat being shot out of a cannon LOL

Thanks for the reminder – I need to make an updated cat cannon emitter that is suitable for 4K. :rofl: