Paste Mocha Mask fail

Hello.
I have mocha bundled with AE cs5 and get a weird result when trying to import a matte into AE using Paste Mocha Mask. It seems to import pretty faithfully but when i scrub with the cti it becomes a tangled mess on the second frame.
The problem only occurs with masks containing keyframes generated in mocha.
Someone else has had the same problem ( http://forum.imagineersystems.com/showthread.php?t=1317&highlight=paste+mocha+mask ) but there is no account of any resolution, Certainly the advice offered to that person by another member did not sort mine out.
I hope someone can help, apart from this i’m kinda liking mocha very much.
Thanks in advance

I should also say that, although i had made a mistake in thinking that my footage was progressive (it was sent to me by someone else) and changeing the settings in mocha to interlaced this has resulted in no change to the weird mask behaviour in AE.

can anybody help ? i’m beginning to feel a bit lonely here …

I should also say that, although i had made a mistake in thinking that my footage was progressive (it was sent to me by someone else) and changeing the settings in mocha to interlaced this has resulted in no change to the weird mask behaviour in AE.
can anybody help ? i’m beginning to feel a bit lonely here …

Hello.
I have mocha bundled with AE cs5 and get a weird result when trying to import a matte into AE using Paste Mocha Mask. It seems to import pretty faithfully but when i scrub with the cti it becomes a tangled mess on the second frame.

The problem only occurs with masks containing keyframes generated in mocha.

Someone else has had the same problem ( http://forum.imagineersystems.com/showthread.php?t=1317&highlight=paste+mocha+mask ) but there is no account of any resolution, Certainly the advice offered to that person by another member did not sort mine out.

I hope someone can help, apart from this i’m kinda liking mocha very much.

Thanks in advance

Sorry, i forgot to mention that this is mocha 2.2 that i am using and reading deeper into the forum i find other people with the same problem.
Is someone able to confirme that this is a bug in v2.2 or am i really doing something else wrong ?
Thanks and merry christmas !

Sorry, i forgot to mention that this is mocha 2.2 that i am using and reading deeper into the forum i find other people with the same problem.

Is someone able to confirme that this is a bug in v2.2 or am i really doing something else wrong ?

Thanks and merry christmas !

hey Ross, thanks for the reply, sorry if i’ve dragged you away from your vacation.
the matte is being pasted directly into the mask channel of the AE layer using Paste Mocha Mask in the File menu, and the mask is automatically named after its Mocha counterpart.
like i have said though, only mocha shapes which contain added keyframes data seem to cause problems and its happening to a greater or lesser extent on everything i do. i’m new to mocha and have only worked on this single project so i did some experiments with different file types … same thing in every case.
the project i am working on has a prohibitively large file size, can i send you a zip of something else which will illustrate ? it is 30mg, how do i send it ?
thanks again.
steve.

hey Ross, thanks for the reply, sorry if i’ve dragged you away from your vacation.

the matte is being pasted directly into the mask channel of the AE layer using Paste Mocha Mask in the File menu, and the mask is automatically named after its Mocha counterpart.

like i have said though, only mocha shapes which contain added keyframes data seem to cause problems and its happening to a greater or lesser extent on everything i do. i’m new to mocha and have only worked on this single project so i did some experiments with different file types … same thing in every case.

the project i am working on has a prohibitively large file size, can i send you a zip of something else which will illustrate ? it is 30mg, how do i send it ?

thanks again.
steve.

Hi Mary and thanks for that.
Yes, i kinda realised a bit late that what i sent you probably wasn’t going to be the best example :confused:
I have another example which will illustrate the problem a bit better - it just has a larger file size.

In this new example the shape data does actually work as an effect in AE but still warps from the point of the first mocha keyframe when imported into AE using Paste Mocha Mask. Also applying the grid to the layer in Mocha doesn’t show up any crazy distortion either …

If it is a bug, what can i do ? There are a number of reasons why i prefer to use the Paste Mocha Mask as opposed to using the AE effect.
Steve.

Hi Mary and thanks for that.
Yes, i kinda realised a bit late that what i sent you probably wasn’t going to be the best example :confused:
I have another example which will illustrate the problem a bit better - it just has a larger file size.
In this new example the shape data does actually work as an effect in AE but still warps from the point of the first mocha keyframe when imported into AE using Paste Mocha Mask. Also applying the grid to the layer in Mocha doesn’t show up any crazy distortion either …
If it is a bug, what can i do ? There are a number of reasons why i prefer to use the Paste Mocha Mask as opposed to using the AE effect.
Steve.

Hi Mary.
Please find it attachedn in the zip file.
Thanks,
Steve

Hi Mary.
Please find it attachedn in the zip file.
Thanks,
Steve

Hi Mary.
Yes, it begins to meatcake just after the first (and only) keyframe.
I agree that i should roto as you suggest however in this instance, since the subject has no significant movement, i opted to roto it as a whole, have it follow the track with minor tweak keyframes on the spline when neccesary. Also, since this is just an example, there’s just one tweak so it was easier for me to see where it was going wrong.
I’m looking forward to what the dev people have to say.
Thanks again.
Steve.

Hi Mary.
Yes, it begins to meatcake just after the first (and only) keyframe.

I agree that i should roto as you suggest however in this instance, since the subject has no significant movement, i opted to roto it as a whole, have it follow the track with minor tweak keyframes on the spline when neccesary. Also, since this is just an example, there’s just one tweak so it was easier for me to see where it was going wrong.

I’m looking forward to what the dev people have to say.
Thanks again.

Steve.

Hi Mary,
Thanks very much for all your help. It is a lesson learned :slight_smile:
Steve.

Hi Mary,
Thanks very much for all your help. It is a lesson learned :slight_smile:
Steve.

Hi Steve,

If you just email me the mocha file, I will use dummy footage to test it.

However, if it is the shape bug we sometimes see where you have to re-paste the mask in as an effect instead of a shape, you have to redo the layer. We can’t fix it.

If this is a problem you’re running into a lot, then it probably is not that bug.

Can you email me the mocha file that illustrates this better?

Cheers,
Mary

Hi Steve,

Can you please email me for FTP information and I’ll take a look? Sorry for the delay, but we’re back in the office now and ready to start the new year off!

Cheers,
Mary

Hi Steve,
Can you please email me for FTP information and I’ll take a look? Sorry for the delay, but we’re back in the office now and ready to start the new year off!
Cheers,
Mary

Actually, I am responding to you in our support cases right now. Check your email instead. :slight_smile: