Please help me understand parallax

Hello,
I am trying to get my head around parallax. I watched a few tutorial and looked it up. From what I gather, it is equivalent to seeing “something” at a different angle which makes the “something” appear to move.
As I try to track some video.in Mocha… My parallax does not change. (so I think)
I watch my video and it does not change the parallax. However, the video has a pan shot in it that goes from a lock down as my actor walks towards my camera to sweep right on my actor as he veers to his left, or my right, then sweeps back as my actor heads back in the direction he came from, all while my camera zooms slightly in.
How does one tell if that is a parallax shot? When I add a planar it does have a shear FWIW
I created another “unanswered post” about a track that won’t stick. So I am wondering if the parallax IS NOT there were I can just track the whole thing?

Parallax has nothing to do with the planar track, only the 3D camera solver needs to solve for parallax by using non-coplanar planar tracks and converting them to 3D data. The planar track just follows pixel motion inside of a spline. 3D shots that do not need to be calculated for parallax are tripod shots that are panning, tilting, or zooming only. Every other shot is either small parallax (landscapes) or large parallax (closer shots). Hand held shots always need parallax solved for if you want 3D data out of them.
I would highly recommend watching our mocha fundamentals training: http://www.imagineersystems.com/mocha_Fundamentals
As I believe these videos will help you better grasp the planar tracker and speed up your workflow by explaining the abstract concepts involved with using mocha.
Cheers,
Mary

Hello,
I am trying to get my head around parallax. I watched a few tutorial and looked it up. From what I gather, it is equivalent to seeing “something” at a different angle which makes the “something” appear to move.

As I try to track some video.in Mocha… My parallax does not change. (so I think)
I watch my video and it does not change the parallax. However, the video has a pan shot in it that goes from a lock down as my actor walks towards my camera to sweep right on my actor as he veers to his left, or my right, then sweeps back as my actor heads back in the direction he came from, all while my camera zooms slightly in.
How does one tell if that is a parallax shot? When I add a planar it does have a shear FWIW

I created another “unanswered post” about a track that won’t stick. So I am wondering if the parallax IS NOT there were I can just track the whole thing?