Pointers on screen replacement

Hi, attached is a section of a scene where the spokesperson is holding a notebook. No tracking points and flat black screen… oh, and it rotates up a bit and the keyboard hides some of the bottom of the screen.

Any ideas how, or if, I might be able to put a screen on the screen? I can get a decent track of the two top corners and the lower right edge if that might give enough data to track the plane… I can manually deal with the keyboard covering up the lower area.

In advance, thanks a lot!

OK, so yes, this is trackable BUT it is a hard track. Track the edges only, tracking markers would destroy your beautiful reflections over the top, but a solid green screen might have helped. Anyway, draw a spline around the edges of the screen, use manual track to track the laptop if it closes or turns away from you, and use adjust track to correct any drift. This isn’t a “one click” solution track, but it’s absolutely doable. If GPU tracking isn’t giving you good results, try switching to CPU tracking in Mocha preferences and restart the host software to get the tracking type to switch over.

If you get stuck in places, try switching to “translation only” for a few frames. It will probably help.

If you have any questions, I am happy to help. Let me know how it goes!

Cheers,
Mary

Hi Mary,
I want to do the same thing but I do have the green. I absolutely want to keep the reflections. With mine, I have poster frames with green paper mounted behind the plexiglass fronts. They hang on the wall behind the subject and camera 2 is handheld so need to track. Camera 3 is static.

Thanks,
Blake

BTW, should I start a new thread on this?

I’d have to see the shot, you can make a new thread if you like or post it here.

Cool. I’ve been working on this over the weekend and have almost got it, albeit without the reflections. I cleaned those reflextion pixels out because it looked weird. It got all pixelated and the pixels were moving around throughout the shot.

Here’s two screen shots. You’ll notice that in the Mocha UI there is no color correction applied to the poster, because I had the “apply matte” turned off in Mocha where BCC color correction was nested with Mocha. In the Avid UI with the final shot, you’ll see the color correction applied.

So, for the future, I’d like to figure out how to keep the reflections but this shot has evolved into what you see here.
I like the look but you’ll notice that the corners of the two posters are curved when they should extend all the way out to the corners of the frames. Secondly, the bottom of the green screen matte (Mocha logo) stops at the hats and my head. It would look more natural if the bottom of that matte would extend down lower so that the feathered edge would be obscured by the two masks setup in Mocha. Lastly, you’ll notice that the color correction from the poster spills over onto my head. I’m trying to figure out how to create a Luma matte that I could import into the BCC color correction filter and mask out the lower part of the filter.

It sounds like the footage is too compressed for the reflection to pull nicely, in this case, just make a new reflection and composite it over the top using a copy of the Mocha insert layer, and instead of using the insert just use your recreated reflection.

You can use masks directly in the Mocha insert module, OR you can use Mocha roto with motion blur and applied mattes over the top.

You can curve insets using the Warp tab in the insert module.

Try that and see if it helps?

Cheers,
Mary

Copy that on the recreated reflection. So would a 50mb codec at 1080p be sufficient for keying, and does 4:2:2 color improve the key like in the old days?

Copy that on the Warp tab.

Edited Comment: So I worked on it some more and got everything looking solid except for the edge around the head roto mask. This is going to be a lot of work if I need to adjust splines over time for all of my shots. If there’s a way to do this with a luma matte, that would be much faster. I’m going to look for a BCC plugin that will give this option.