**Posted Breakdown** Cleanplate Not Moving with Layer

As a side note, I also did a removal of a car driving on a road next to this dealership. It looks awesome and only took 10 minutes.

OK so I have a simple shot. A drone mostly hovering, but slightly moving toward a car dealer. There is a car parked on the lot I’m removing. Since this car doesn’t move, I figured cleanplate is the way to go. Create cleanplate, edit in Photoshop, done. I track the car making sure to encompass everything. Then I track the background, using a spline large enough to cover the car layer, with the car layer on top. Perfect. I then go to the Remove tab, select the car layer and import the cleanplate. Hit Render Frame. Bam. Flawless.

Problem comes in when I try to render the rest of the frames. The car layer moves with the motion, but the cleanplate image stays where it was on the frame I created it from. Am I missing something?

Is the background layer tracked properly? That’s where the remove gets the information from, the background layer track and the pixels and cleanplateused there.

Track seems solid. Should the car layer be linked to the background?

If the car is moving the same as the background, (you say it’s parked so I assume it is), absolutely.

Just tried linking the Car layer to the BG layer. Same. I deleted the Car layer and redid the steps. Same.

I don’t think it’s the background not being tracked well. I place my mouse cursor on one of those dark shadows on the remove and hit play. That plate does not move one pixel.

Any other ideas?

In the clean plate menu, make sure that number is set to the frame number you painted. I have seen this happen when the clean plate is set to ALL.

1 Like

Ross, you win a chicken dinner. That was the trick. Completely forgot about that setting.

Two follow-up questions though.

The message cut off without the two follow up questions.

Two follow-up questions though.

1. How does one know when to use the Remove tool vs the Insert tool for these types of edits?

2. I tried doing several of these fixes in one Mocha instance, but it seemed conflict with the other layers. Is this possible or should we always just dupe the clip in AE and apply a new instance of Mocha?

Thanks again.

1. Think of Mocha Pro’s Insert Module like a standard composite. It has basic compositing, track offsets and the mesh warper. If you wanted to use multiple painted patches in the insert module, you would need to edit.dissolve between them prior in the chain before importing into Insert.
    Mocha Pro’s Remove Module is a bit different in that it can analyze the background track and try to find the clean frames in a shot. For example when there is camera movement and there is distance between the FG and BG, often portions of the clean frames exist in the shot. Remove Module can use these frames and then apply “illumination” to try and match the color, lighting shifts, etc.
    The Remove Module also has the clean plate import function that allows the user to generate clean plates to be created externally. A key concept here is that the Remove Module can interpolate between the external clean plates and the internal (ones found in clip time) OR use Clean Plates exclusively which will only look at the external frames. We find this pretty unique for difficult removes.
    I’d like to add the further distinction that if there’s simple, nice planar data behind the object, it’s a good candidate for remove. However, highly animated, organic, shifting, and multiplanar backgrounds are not good candidates for removes.
    If anything moves over the top of the object you have to patch over, the insert is the best candidate. So if you have a person in the FG and focus blur is softening their edges, this is a time to use the insert instead of the remove because you’ll have to rebuild the BG and rebuild the edges of the FG object to feather over the top.
    I use the insert for matte paintings, patching, logo replacements, anytime something is moving over the area I need to replace, beauty work, body reshaping, anything I need to auto calculate motion blur for, and other things like that.

None of these are hard, fast rules, it all depends on the shot.

1. I personally prefer not rendering removes all in the same Mocha file and separating them out into duped effects, I have more control if I do them separately. However, you can render them all in one pass as long as the gear is on the layers and as long as you are on the most updated version of the software, this method has been on and off bugged in the past.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Mary

Thanks for that info Mary. Good stuff there.

I will be posting a before and after of this shot. I keep finding things I can fix now. Ha. So I need to make a clean plate from a different frame, but I keep getting “Failed to save image /path here: Illegal conversion.”

What’s going on here?

Any ideas on this?

OK so I made a quick breakdown of all the Mocha Pro work on this shot. Came out nice I think, even though this wasn’t shot with out best drone. Work with what you got. Thanks for the help.

Sorry for the delay, I was at Siggraph all last week. Looks like you got all sorted out though?

Cheers,
Mary

Not really sorted. I just created a still frame in Photoshop, just not sure why Mocha wouldn’t do it after a while.

Not sure, can you send the project to maryp@borisfx.com and I can take a look?