Powermesh warp issue

Hi,

I have a question about the powermesh warp inside Silhouette.

After unwarping footage in Silhouette with a mesh track from Mochapro, I attempted to wrap it to restore it to its original look and noticed there is a slight mismatch between the original input and the wrapped one. Why is this the case?

Thanks,

Because of the nature of the algorithm, it is not possible to produce the exact result after unwarping/warping. You will also have better quality if you just warp your element without unwarping/warping the original.

In my case this method is not that useful then, if we cant match the original!
Can be pretty useful to roto, if it was matching

You would have to be more specific about what are trying to accomplish and the steps you are actually doing to achieve the end result.

Is there a way to match the roto exactly matching the input?
Right now, result of warp is not matching the original plate
Screenshot 2022-09-16 061951

But by doing this, I can achieve results but am unable to view through the Roto node and adjust the spline
Screenshot 2022-09-16 063903
Screenshot 2022-09-16 064048

Curious If there is a way to achieve what I am aiming for.

Power Mesh Warp in Silhouette only warps the image data, not the Roto shape. This is why it is not lining up. So, no, there is not a way to Power Mesh Warp > Unwarp, Roto, and then Warp and expect the shape to also be warped.

Now, in Mocha, you can warp the spline when using Power Mesh, but you can’t do this while in the Stabilize module. You would have to work in a Track module. However, if you export a warped spline in Mocha, there will be keyframes on every frame.

I was not trying to warp the roto shape. If I unwarp footage and warp it back (without a roto node), I have this issue of plate not matching the warped result.

If its matching the plate, then my work is very easy!
Silhouette

In the powermesh warp/unwarp nodes, do you have warp quality set to high?
(I sometimes render out the result for further compositing for stability reasons)

Also, I usually generate a roto node from the mocha node, then all the masks and tracking info is there in Silhouette, maybe it could help.
Your powermesh node can reference the roto node for meshwarp info.
It will also bring across warped roto shapes from mocha.
Screenshot 2022-09-18 173940

I have tried the quality settings and not useful in this case.
As you told, I can export that warped spline from mocha. It will create a lot of keyframes additionally which makes bit hard for me to adjust further in Silhouette.

I was aiming to take mesh data from mocha and then roto inside Silhouette. By trying that I was not able to match my input after warping it back

Hi,

Did you set up a reference frame in Mocha Pro? You do that by adding the frame number into the Frame List in the Stabilize module. This will ensure that your PowerMesh insert lines up properly where you want it to.

As a workflow tip, I always add the Powermesh reference frame number to the name of the node, so I don’t forget when I come back to the project.

Thanks,
Ben

1 Like

Tried this and still the same issue.
FYI, inside Silhouette reference frame matches and rest of the frames don’t

In the screen capture, it looks like the bit that you tracked with PowerMesh does match up. What you’re doing looks like the right general workflow, but you may need to adjust a few things.

1. How dense is the PowerMesh grid in Mocha Pro? To get more fine grain details, you’ll want a suitably dense mesh. Not too dense as that takes longer to track and may not give you the best sub-planar data, and not too loose or you won’t get a lot of detail.

2. Remember to make the initial mesh shape bigger than you need it, then shrink it down before tracking. This trick is shown in almost every PowerMesh tutorial, and Mary shows it to good effect here : Boris FX | Add Face Paint with Mocha Pro's PowerMesh and the Insert Module

3. Remember too that elements outside of the area tracked with PowerMesh won’t line up correctly. That’s why you’ll need the roto spline too. I will often just take the spline directly from Mocha Pro and make adjustments with multiframe. You can set a range with multiframe so the changes ease in over time. Very handy when you have the denser keyframes Mocha mesh splines create. Alternatively build on top with another shape.

Hope this helps,
Ben

1 Like