Preventing render hits in corner pin reverse stabilization workflow in Ae

Mocha Ae 4.0.3
Ae 14.2

Hi, I find it much more efficient to first stabilize my footage, compositing it, and only then reintroduce the motion. I want to improve my workflow so please follow along with me.

I have a Main comp this way:
Layer 1 - Stablized precomp (applied with the corner pin data push surface to corners to reintroduce the motion)
Layer 2 - Original footage

in my stablized precomp I have all the composited elements but essentially this:
Layer 1 - my composited screen set with CC Power pin to be applied on the screen
Bottom Layer - the Original footage set as a guide layer applied with invert corner pin data

now in my stabilized precomp the screen hold still. I can composite a still frame and see if there is a shift and judge it by looking at a freeze which is great. in my main comp I reintroduce the motion. wonderful.

to reduce the render hit I press collapse transformation for the layer 1 - stablized precomp in my Main comp. this means the quality will be the best as it can be and it will render faster too. the only issue is with corner pin + transform (support motion blur). having an effect (corner pin) + transform values will shift my layer when I press collapse because the content inside is changed in dimensions since its collapsed (it’s expanding/contracting so the more scaled in or out of dimensions, the more shift I will experience). I then resort to use “corner pin only” for my exported tracked data, and add on top of that CC Force motion blur if I need it.

my questions are:

1. what do you think of my workflow?
  2. is there any disadvantage I am missing of using corner pin only vs corner pin (supports MB) if you are adding CC force motion blur anyway?

Hi Roei,
I think this is a valid workflow. One of the cool things about compositing is different artists like different techniques. Have you looked at MochaImport+? This script was designed for the stabilized tracking workflow and automates (stabilizing the planar surface in a precomp.
https://borisfx.com/videos/mochaimport-v5-new-features/

Might be useful for you.

As far as which track export to use. One thing I could add here is that we added the separated Corner Pin and transform as a way to get some motion blur onto tracking data. Beyond the CC Force Motion Blur ,there are other available techniques for this including:
Mocha Pro 5 insert module can render with motion blur
AE Pixel Motion Blur: https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/pixel-motion-blur-effect-new-in-after-effects-cc-12-0/?segment=dva

Best,
Ross

Thank you Ross. I always try to be native as possible - no scripts or plugins if I can. I have used mocha import a long time ago when I didn’t know how to make this work natively.

I tried mocha pro once but for the amazing remove module. I plan to buy it someday. it’s in the shopping cart for a year now I think :slight_smile: