Proxy Scale

Hello all,
I’m working on a 1080p video in mocha 3. A little confused about the Proxy Scale Function.
Realtime playback, 1080p footage is very choppy. Taking the Proxy Scale down to Half improves the playback.
My Question:
Is Proxy Scale just a means to getting faster playback to evaluate tracks?
Or is tracking evaluated on the current Proxy Scale.
Should I be toggling it up and down to ensure it’s tracking as well as it can/playing back fast?
Documentation isn’t clear.
A little shocked that on my mac pro a raw HD clip - cached to a very fast Raid, with 32 gigs of Ram, 8 Cores and a Nvidia GTX 285 cant play back a 4 second clip at 100%.
Many thanks

Brilliant! Many thanks.

Found the slowdown culprit.; My boot disk ssd was checking out.

A fresh owc ssd made all the difference.

Thanks again for the tips.

Hello all,

I’m working on a 1080p video in mocha 3. A little confused about the Proxy Scale Function.

Realtime playback, 1080p footage is very choppy. Taking the Proxy Scale down to Half improves the playback.

My Question:

Should I be toggling it up and down to ensure it’s tracking as well as it can/playing back fast?

Documentation isn’t clear.

A little shocked that on my mac pro a raw HD clip - cached to a very fast Raid, with 32 gigs of Ram, 8 Cores and a Nvidia GTX 285 cant play back a 4 second clip at 100%.

Many thanks

—Quote (Originally by MaryP)—
Proxy scale is meant to process your footage faster, at half you can track and roto just as well as you would be able to on full. It is not just for evaluation, it is for your entire workflow.
—End Quote—
Sorry I should have clarified;
When I track an easy target with Proxy @ Half Res - the track drifts off immediately. At full res, the same spline sticks like a limpet. Thats was what made me suspect the tracker wasn’t seeing the lower res proxy.
My mac is a early 2009 Quad Core 2.26 - no longer the beast it was - but quite cacheable of chewing through frames in AE.
Thanks for the response.

—Quote (Originally by MaryP)—
Proxy scale is meant to process your footage faster, at half you can track and roto just as well as you would be able to on full. It is not just for evaluation, it is for your entire workflow.
—End Quote—
When I track an easy target with Proxy @ Half Res - the track drifts off immediately. At full res, the same spline sticks like a limpet. Thats was what made me suspect the tracker wasn’t seeing the lower res proxy.

My mac is a early 2009 Quad Core 2.26 - no longer the beast it was - but quite cacheable of chewing through frames in AE.

Thanks for the response.

Brilliant! Many thanks.

Found the slowdown culprit.; My boot disk ssd was checking out.
A fresh owc ssd made all the difference.
Thanks again for the tips.

Which version of mocha are you using?

Which version of mocha are you using?

—Quote—
—End Quote—
—Quote—
—End Quote—
You should be working in proxy if you are unable to run at speed. However, if you have that hoss of a machine and you are not processing the footage fast enough, you may also want to toggle your hardware rendering and adjust how much memory mocha is using in your preferences.
Let me know if you have any more questions!
Cheers,
Mary

—Quote—
—End Quote—

—Quote—
—End Quote—
You should be working in proxy if you are unable to run at speed. However, if you have that hoss of a machine and you are not processing the footage fast enough, you may also want to toggle your hardware rendering and adjust how much memory mocha is using in your preferences.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Cheers,
Mary

Good to know! Thanks for the update!

Good to know! Thanks for the update!

—Quote (Originally by blabberlicious)—
Thanks for the response.
—End Quote—
Close mocha, go to your tmp/motemp folder and throw away everything inside it.
Restart mocha
switch to Half, let the whole thing play once through.
Track away.
I have to do that quite often. Especially after working on one shot, starting a new one, and going back to the old one.
Mocha also seems to like being shut down and restarted when moving on to a new or different project.
Just finished with 130 shots of 5k plates where I tracked them all at quarter proxy. worked really well.
T

Thanks for the response.
—End Quote—
Close mocha, go to your tmp/motemp folder and throw away everything inside it.
Restart mocha
switch to Half, let the whole thing play once through.
Track away.

I have to do that quite often. Especially after working on one shot, starting a new one, and going back to the old one.

Mocha also seems to like being shut down and restarted when moving on to a new or different project.

Just finished with 130 shots of 5k plates where I tracked them all at quarter proxy. worked really well.

T

thanks for that, ttctdvm.
Could you kindly give me the full path for that temp/motemp (folder?
Is this the cache file?
The proxy problem, when I returned to test again this morning, so I guess the janky cache files had been deleted.
—End Quote—
Yeah, the ‘Cache Directory’ in MochaPro->Preferences
T

thanks for that, ttctdvm.

Could you kindly give me the full path for that temp/motemp (folder?

Is this the cache file?

The proxy problem, when I returned to test again this morning, so I guess the janky cache files had been deleted.
—End Quote—
Yeah, the ‘Cache Directory’ in MochaPro->Preferences

T