Re-Use or Import a Shape Layer for Use in Multiple Mocha Stabilization Clips

Sorry if this has been covered before, I am a new user of Mocha (about 1 year) and only have experience with Mocha and no experience with any of the other Boris FX software. I did try searching the forum for a related topic but didn’t find any. I have watched several instruction videos on Mocha but haven’t seen this covered. Maybe there is a workflow solution that could help me… please let me know.

I’m using Mocha 2022.5 plugin for an Adobe After Effects clip. I have several clips that all need the same object (scope reticle) excluded from the tracking data area. It takes me a while to create the area for Occlusion (10min or so).

Option 1) I would like to be able to use the layer I created in Mocha in other clips that need to be stabilized. The object usually appears in the same location, but it may require scaling and/or rotation to get the occlusion shape to match the object perfectly.
Q: How do I export this layer and then bring it back in another Mocha file?

Option 2) I have recreated the reticle in Adobe Illustrator. Ideally, I would like to be able to import the Adobe Illustrator file into Mocha for use in any clip. I can import the Adobe Illustrator file into Adobe After Effects and can scale/rotate the layer to match the reticle in the clip.
Q: How do I bring the Adobe After Effects shape into Mocha as a layer?

Thanks,
-Lou

Here is a screen shot of what the masked out area looks like:

Here’s what the layer looks like when I’m done:

Adobe Illustrator file:

Hi

1. Copying the layer would be very easy, you have couple of options:
  • You can either copy the whole Mocha Pro effect, paste in into another clip, then reposition the shape layer inside Mocha with QWE keys or with the Transform tool.
  • The other way would be saving the project via “File/Save Project as/” menu. Then you can create a new Mocha effect on another clip, and import that project by clicking File/Merge project/… and locating the file.
  1. In case you already have the shape that you wanna use as a mask to excluded it from the tracking data area, you can use “Matte clip”. The matte could be loaded via “Insert layer” (You can check out this video on 2:20 to see how the Insert layer should be set up Mocha Pro: Tracking Techniques for Occlusions & Reflections - YouTube), or simply as a separate file.
    Screenshot_342.
    But it will be loaded just as overlay, and not the editable shape

I must say, that the shape that you’re demonstrating on the last screenshot looks very tight. In order to exclude some shape from the tracking area, you should draw your shape with indents, slightly bigger than the objects appear on screen. So in a reality, you could just draw something as simple as this (blue overlay).

You can check the full video i shared above, where i explain how to deal with occlusions in detail.

The area I want to track is right behind the middle area of the reticle. In the example from your second comment, wouldn’t the larger area being excluded affect the tracking?

Well, depends on how you would draw you shapes. Is that the shiny metal plates that you want to track?

The camera I’m using has a slow sensor and there is a lot of jello or wobble effect on the image during movement.

Yes, the frame (black tubes), 2 rubber straps holding each target, and the white targets are what I want to track and use Mocha to stabilize and reduce the distortion/wobble.

Speaking for the track, they all look like being on the same plane, so drawing the shape like this (green area) should be good.

But fixing the jello effect is not something that Mocha is designed for, I’m sorry :slightly_frowning_face:

That’s funny… the Stabilize All Motion: X/Y Translation, X/Y Shear, Rotation, Zoom X/Y Perspective sure do a good job of making the image of the target look rock steady. I believe I have seen the shear motion used just for the jello effect in one of the example tutorials.
17A Stabilize Module - Basics [Mocha Essentials] @ 13m55s

Deepens on how much jello you originally had. In the related example, Ben is also mentioning that we’re not gonna be able to completely get rid of that. However, that could be an acceptable result for some cases