Reframer and Vegas Pro 18

I can’t create the blurry background from cellphone footage. I have seen the tutorial on YT and did what what was said but the only thing I got blurred was the cellphone footage itself. It did not expand to the left and right.

Also weird text is seen in the boxes, which I think they don’t belong there. And in the top right and at the bottom

nothing is seen in the boxes.

Wiel

Change your project to 1920*1080

No result!

Someone with VP18 will have to take a look.
In VP17, there is no problem

The UI glitching is likely a Vegas host problem since it is the host that draws the parameter controls. Try restarting Vegas to see if it disappears. I am not reproducing these glitches in Vegas Pro 18.

As for Reframer, the workflows can be very particular. Which tutorial did you follow? Was it for Vegas?

-Jason

Hello Jason,

after the restart it was the same. This is the tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK6BZRYj2l0

Do you know a tutorial with Vegas Pro?

By the way I read above that Vegas Pro 17 it works and in Vegas Pro 18.

The reminds me of a problem that I currently have with Vegas Pro 18 with the QSV render templates. They disappear when Vegas Pro 18 came out. In Vegas Pro 17 en Vegas Pro 16 They were present. When installing Vegas Pro 18 the render templates also disappeared in Vegas Pro 16. Intel says that the new DCH GPU drivers cause this.

Could the problems with Reframer be related to the same?

See my screenshots.

Wiel

In the online documentation there is a separate section for ‘Reframer’, divided in several basis steps.

Step 1 depends on the NLE.

Step 2 is equal for every NLE.

The NLE’s mentiones in step 1 are Avid, Adobe and Davinci Resolve.

Is there somewhere a ‘Step 1 description’ for Vegas Pro?

Wiel

Hi, Wiel,

You are correct that we should add a section on the Vegas steps to the documentation page. I will file a ticket for that. In the meantime here are some steps that will hopefully work for you. The key is to use Vegas’s own Pan/Crop too to extend the clip to the final dimensions and then apply Reframer and adjust the Crop Source param to trim off the black boundaries. The exact details can vary depending on the footage, but hopefully this will be close for you:

-Create a project with the desired FINAL dimensions - e.g. 1920x1080
-Import the vertical footage into the project
-Add the vertical footage to the timeline
-If Vegas asks you “Do you want to set your project video settings to match this media” choose NO.
-Open Vegas’s Pan/Crop tool for the clip
-Make sure the option for Lock Aspect Ratio is disabled
-Set the main Width and Height parameters in the Pan/Crop controls to the FINAL Dimensions - e.g. 1920x1080
-Now apply BCC Reframer
-Adjust the Crop Source Width until all the black disappears. Often a value of around 34 might be a good starting point.
-You should now see the vertical clip with a blurred copy of itself filling the sides. At this point you can experiment with various effects to fine tune the results like in other hosts.

Regarding your previous note about the QSV templates - that would all be on the Vegas host side and should not directly affect us.

Cheers,
Jason

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the info. I will try ‘step 1’ after work in the evening.

Yeah, I know the question to the QSV templates is all on the Vegas Pro/Magix side.

But I could imagine that the mentioned driver issue, also may be due to the things which occur in Continuumas in my case.

Wiel

Verzonden vanuit Mail voor Windows 10

-Make sure the option for Lock Aspect Ratio is disabled
-Set the main Width and Height parameters in the Pan/Crop controls to the FINAL Dimensions - e.g. 1920x1080

Alternatively to this (and my preference), after the prior step of opening the Pan/Crop tool on the clip, right-click and choose “Match Output Aspect Ratio”, then resize the window so it aligns with the top edge. If you just blindly change the width and height to match the project (or final) dimensions your source clip might end up being much smaller than what you’d like.

Hi, @RedRob,

How are you doing the “resize the window so it aligns with the top edge” step? When I tried that approach and then added Reframer it still restricted the effect to the smaller original region rather than allowing it to expand out to the full project width. I wonder if I’m doing the resize a different way.

I realized there is another completely separate possible workflow as well which might be even easier and could even yield higher quality sampling results.
-Import vertical clip into Vegas
-In the Project Media pane, right click on the source clip and choose Properties.
-Override the Rotation setting - e.g. back to 0. Depending on your footage this may tell Vegas to treat the clip as a horizontal clip instead of a vertical clip.
-Add the clip to a project of desired final size. It will appear horizontal at first.
-Apply BCC Reframer
-In the Foreground Setup section change Interpret Source to either 90 or -90 depending on clip orientation.
-This should then instantly give you a good default look for Reframer which you can then use as the starting point to refine the details.

Hi Jason,

That’s the solution.

Also it works in RC7 of the OFX version of Continuum

You should add this, easy to follow description to the online documentation of BCC Reframer.

Describing the good and simple workflow is a key succes factor.

From there on everyone can now practice with the options.

Great!

Thanks.

Wiel

Jason,

Excuse me, it’s beta 7 not RC7.

Greetz,

Wiel

Which of the solutions is the one that worked for you? Glad you’re up and running.

-Jason

Hi Jason,

The mail from november 4.

Your procedure in that mail was very, very easy to follow.

This one should be incorperated in the online documentation.

Greetz,

Wiel

-Import vertical clip into Vegas
-In the Project Media pane, right click on the source clip and choose Properties.
-Override the Rotation setting - e.g. back to 0. Depending on your footage this may tell Vegas to treat the clip as a horizontal clip instead of a vertical clip.
-Add the clip to a project of desired final size. It will appear horizontal at first.
-Apply BCC Reframer
-In the Foreground Setup section change Interpret Source to either 90 or -90 depending on clip orientation.
-This should then instantly give you a good default look for Reframer which you can then use as the starting point to refine the details.

Great - thanks for the clarification!