Reload / Relink

Hello Mocha guys!
I have tried Mocha recently and I want to report 2 issues that will be useful to check.
Since I am After Effects user, I am used to reload/replace my footage whenever I change it. I may go out to photoshop or replace the file with another version and then in AE it’s just a matter of reload or replace.

1. Reload. As far as I know Mocha does not have a “reload” function to reload any asset changed. Of course the assets will update if I close and reopen the project, but it will be way easier to reload it while working in the session.
  2. Replace. I tried to re-link a PNG sequence, that I moved around, but without success. I dont know if it was my mistake, or a bug. I dont even know, if the “relink” function is supposed to work as the “reload” function in AE, or is it something else?
    And if I may, 2 feature requests:
    About the Cleanplates list. I am glad that you will address the deletion bug. But is there a way to enhance the list with a function that automatically assigns the frame numbers?
    When exporting a JPG sequence there is no option for chosing the quality of the JPGs. They seem to be really compressed. Can you give us a standart 0-100 or 0-12 (like in photoshop) quality slider there?
    Thank you!

Hello Mocha guys!

I have tried Mocha recently and I want to report 2 issues that will be useful to check.

Since I am After Effects user, I am used to reload/replace my footage whenever I change it. I may go out to photoshop or replace the file with another version and then in AE it’s just a matter of reload or replace.

1. Reload. As far as I know Mocha does not have a “reload” function to reload any asset changed. Of course the assets will update if I close and reopen the project, but it will be way easier to reload it while working in the session.

2. Replace. I tried to re-link a PNG sequence, that I moved around, but without success. I dont know if it was my mistake, or a bug. I dont even know, if the “relink” function is supposed to work as the “reload” function in AE, or is it something else?

About the Cleanplates list. I am glad that you will address the deletion bug. But is there a way to enhance the list with a function that automatically assigns the frame numbers?

When exporting a JPG sequence there is no option for chosing the quality of the JPGs. They seem to be really compressed. Can you give us a standart 0-100 or 0-12 (like in photoshop) quality slider there?

Thank you!

Hello Mary and thanks for the answer.
I am using the trial version 3.
I tried again to relink a sequence and it worked alright this time!
But the “reload” functionality was problematic during a removing session.
The idea was to remove a patch from someone’s shirt and replace it with another texture.
So I painted a texture in PS and pasted it to the shirt, using the “remove” function. Without closing PS, I re-painted over the texture, just to change it a bit then and saved the same file.
So I thought that if I re-link the file to itself, the removed patch will update itself (i.e. reload footage). But it did not. The original sequence was like 300 frames, but when I re-linked the picture it loaded it as only 1 frame. I was stuck with a 1 frame composition and I was not able to play any other footage element, it was like the program went to “1 frame isolation mode” and nothing else responded right. So I cannot change the length of the re-linked picture and ultimately I cannot replace an asset just re-saving it from PS.

Hello Mary and thanks for the answer.

I am using the trial version 3.

I tried again to relink a sequence and it worked alright this time!

But the “reload” functionality was problematic during a removing session.
The idea was to remove a patch from someone’s shirt and replace it with another texture.

So I painted a texture in PS and pasted it to the shirt, using the “remove” function. Without closing PS, I re-painted over the texture, just to change it a bit then and saved the same file.

So I thought that if I re-link the file to itself, the removed patch will update itself (i.e. reload footage). But it did not. The original sequence was like 300 frames, but when I re-linked the picture it loaded it as only 1 frame. I was stuck with a 1 frame composition and I was not able to play any other footage element, it was like the program went to “1 frame isolation mode” and nothing else responded right. So I cannot change the length of the re-linked picture and ultimately I cannot replace an asset just re-saving it from PS.

Alright I figured it out.
When using the remove function, Mocha creates 2 layers: Clean Plate_video and Remove_video.

After I re-save the patch in PS, I have to delete both layers, before the replacement occurs. But by deleting the “Clean Plate_video” layer, it also deletes the cleanplates list associated with the patch. This is what I failed to notice before.

So here is how I replaced the patch:

• re-saved the edited patch from PS
  • in clip tab, deleted the layer: Remove_video
  • in clip tab, deleted the layer: Clean Plate_video
  • in remove tab, edit cleanplate clip - import the file

Is this the right way to do it?
It’s ok to re-import the file when replacing only 1 patch, but what if I had 10-20 patches?
Is there a way for the remove tool to reload the patches, without the need to delete the Clean Plate_video layer?

Alright I figured it out.
When using the remove function, Mocha creates 2 layers: Clean Plate_video and Remove_video.
After I re-save the patch in PS, I have to delete both layers, before the replacement occurs. But by deleting the “Clean Plate_video” layer, it also deletes the cleanplates list associated with the patch. This is what I failed to notice before.
So here is how I replaced the patch:

• re-saved the edited patch from PS
  • in clip tab, deleted the layer: Remove_video
  • in clip tab, deleted the layer: Clean Plate_video
  • in remove tab, edit cleanplate clip - import the file
    Is this the right way to do it?
    It’s ok to re-import the file when replacing only 1 patch, but what if I had 10-20 patches?
    Is there a way for the remove tool to reload the patches, without the need to delete the Clean Plate_video layer?

Got it now, thank you! And thanks to the awesome tutorials that you make, they helped a lot to understand the possibilities of Mocha!

Got it now, thank you! And thanks to the awesome tutorials that you make, they helped a lot to understand the possibilities of Mocha!

Hello again :slight_smile: I was wondering, do you have some quality sample videos on which the users can train some mocha tracking? Like movie style dolly and jib shots, even handheld, but with enough parallax and foreground objects to make the track difficult. I want to experiment the 3D camera racking, but I dont have these kind of 3D-ish shots.

Hello again :slight_smile: I was wondering, do you have some quality sample videos on which the users can train some mocha tracking? Like movie style dolly and jib shots, even handheld, but with enough parallax and foreground objects to make the track difficult. I want to experiment the 3D camera racking, but I dont have these kind of 3D-ish shots.

Alright these samples from HCW are great!

Alright these samples from HCW are great!

—Quote—

—End Quote—
    Relink in the clip tab is how we reload footage.

—Quote—
—End Quote—
Relink should work with the functionality you are looking for, but the frame rate and starting frames would need to be the same for best results, or you’d need to move your keyframes around in the timeline to line back up (only in V3). What version of mocha are you using? What is the error you are getting when you try to relink?

—Quote—

—End Quote—
You absolutely may. I will see how feasible this is.

—Quote—
—End Quote—
I will discuss this with the dev team.

—Quote—

—End Quote—
    Relink in the clip tab is how we reload footage.
    —Quote—
    —End Quote—
    Relink should work with the functionality you are looking for, but the frame rate and starting frames would need to be the same for best results, or you’d need to move your keyframes around in the timeline to line back up (only in V3). What version of mocha are you using? What is the error you are getting when you try to relink?
    —Quote—
    —End Quote—
    You absolutely may. I will see how feasible this is.
    —Quote—
    —End Quote—
    I will discuss this with the dev team.

Actually, it should reload when you save over the shot, if you save over the file. But it’s the cleanplate clip, so you may need to delete your cached renders.
I’d have to see the shot to see what was going wrong there, it sounds like there’s some confusion on how to edit your cleanplate clip?
Cheers,
Mary

Actually, it should reload when you save over the shot, if you save over the file. But it’s the cleanplate clip, so you may need to delete your cached renders.

I’d have to see the shot to see what was going wrong there, it sounds like there’s some confusion on how to edit your cleanplate clip?

Cheers,
Mary

Hi there,
No, you should just be able to relink the cleanplate clip or just save it. To delete renders go to edit>delete renders in all frames.
There’s no reason to delete import clips or remove clips.
Cheers,
Mary

Hi there,

No, you should just be able to relink the cleanplate clip or just save it. To delete renders go to edit>delete renders in all frames.

There’s no reason to delete import clips or remove clips.

Cheers,
Mary

Great! I am glad to help. :slight_smile:

Great! I am glad to help. :slight_smile: