Remove a foreground with large parallax

Hi Everyone,

I’m quite a Mocha Pro newbie (2021 version, After Effects plugin on Mac) and I’m struggling on trying to remove the woman at the end of this shot.

http://gofile.me/3V8ba/B7cKKmbg1

I’ve uploaded the whole shot because some of you may have a better idea using the curtain at the start for instance…

I’ve tried using the Remove module by tracking the woman and making 3 different background plates (the wall behind the bed, the bed and the curtain). Then using a clean plate with a blank curtain but because of the large parallax the curtain doesn’t deform properly with the camera movement. Or is it me ?

I also tried to use the 3D Camera Solver with 4 different plates (the curtain, the wall, the wood above the man’s head and the bed) but struggled then using the imported 3D data within After Effects.

There is probably a better solution for experts like you, what would be your way please ?

Thank you very much for your help.

Best, Julie

Hi Julie,

I would not use the remove for this. It’s too complicated. But please do try a series of insert patches and see what you can get. There’s too much subtle motion and way too much parallax for the Remove to nail this well.

Try this tutorial for the overall technique: Boris FX | Mocha Pro: Patching & Removing Obscured Objects with Insert Module

Please let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to help you.

Cheers,
Mary

Hi Mary,

Thank ! I’ve previously watched this tutoriel but thought it wouldn’t really fit my situation. I’ll give it a try to see :slight_smile:

Maybe trying to remove the woman in one pass isn’t a good idea, I’ll try your solution.

Thank you !

Julie

This much parallax is just something that makes removes rough, so in this instance multiple tweakable patches is probably best. You may need to use the warp tool inside of the insert module for best results.

Thanks Mary. It looks like a real pain to get through it…

It’s absolutely nontrivial. For sure.