Remove area is dark when brought into Aftereffects

I’ve successfully put together Remove replacements in Mocha Pro (most recent version embedded in most recent AE) but every time I leave the Mocha Pro window and return to AE the area in the replacement is dark. I can see the proper replacement image inside the borders, but it’s dark as if a mode change was in effect.

As far as I can tell there’s no Mode change in Mocha Pro or AE, and I played with the different mode settings just to see what was happening and got not change.

This is a consistent problem for me across multiple Removes.

Also: Don’t know if this is related but the feathered edges on the Remove aren’t showing up on the dark shape, though the dark shape matches the Remove matte otherwise.

That is weird, and an old bug that may be a regression, unless you’re using illumination modeling without knowing it. Let me tag @martinb in this though because this sounds very similar to an EXR problem we had been seeing in previous versions. Can you post the exact version number of your Mocha Pro (under about) and the exact point release of Adobe AE? I know you say the latest but we need to confirm version numbers to track this. And let us know what file type you are using?

Let us know and we will see if we can get to the bottom of this.

Aftereffects 17.1.0 Build 72
Don’t know where the Mocha Pro number is, I don’t see an About anywhere (I’m on a Mac). Release notes page says it is v7.5.0.

Downloaded both 3 days ago.

Can you try going into the Mocha settings and turning GPU rendering off. Open Mocha, go to file>preferences, and under the GPU tab turn the “use gpu” checkbox off. Save and close Mocha, restart AE, and let me know if the problem persists.

Try that and let me know. Also, what type of footage are you using? I would still like to know so I can see if that is part of the problem.

Possibly related to OCIO settings?

Earlier a project that had this problem abruptly started working correctly, showing the Remove in AE. Then it started showing just the Remove matte as a dark shape again.

Changed the GPU render setting off, no change.

Working with dpx files brought into a project/sequence set up by another Mocha user who isn’t having any problems–though I haven’t had the opportunity to hand one of these back to them yet.

If it matters, I was having problems with the feather on shapes (seemingly) arbitrarily not working.

Is there any way we can get one of the DPX files for testing? I need to poke @martinb about this and see if it is a known issue. What’s the bit depth on the DPX sequence?

This sounds like a colorspace mismatch, which should be addressed in the upcoming v7.5.1 patch.
In the meantime, check your clean plate colorspace settings to make sure they match what you’re using in the After Effects project.

If you’re still having trouble, let me know what your bit depth and colorspace is set to in After Effects and show me what your Project settings looks like in Mocha.

I changed the AE project to 16bit color and that fixed it. I’m sorry to have bothered you folks about something that might be obvious!

Not obvious at all! This is an issue on our side. We should be changing the color space to match what the host is doing automatically.

We’ll have a fix for this in the upcoming patch.

If you are using linear workflows, that’s a bit different as you may need to match the linear space.

1 Like