Remove Mic

Lads Im struggling to remove a mic from a moving shot. any suggestion, the mic in on his the top of him jumper under his chin, still from clip is attached.

I would recommend against using h264 as a format because occasionally the compression can screw up the number of frames, and can possibly result in a different interpretation between your compositor and mocha.
It’s usually better to do removes with a lossless format, even with the 5d’s great quality.

I would recommend against using h264 as a format because occasionally the compression can screw up the number of frames, and can possibly result in a different interpretation between your compositor and mocha.

It’s usually better to do removes with a lossless format, even with the 5d’s great quality.

Hey man,
Clean-plates are kindof my specialty; if you want, I can take a look at the shot in motion and show you the best way to fix this. You’ll need to email me and get some ftp info and we can go over the file.
Cheers,
Mary

I’m not sure about that footage. If it will load the footage, don’t worry about it. If it won’t, convert to a 16 bit TIFF sequence, those work well for mocha in my experience.

Cheers,
Mary

That should be a really simple remove if the mic doesn’t go over the guy. If the bg data is being messed up by the guy going over it, just use a cleanplate made from one of the most “clean” frames and load that back in and tell mocha to 'use clean-plates exclusively". If the camera moves in rotation side to side a lot you may have to use multiple cleanplates. But just pick the “clean frames” from the shot where the mic isn’t in frame.
If you’re still not sure what I mean, get an ftp client like filezilla or cyberduck, email me for the login info, and upload the frames to us.
Cheers!
Mary

That should be a really simple remove if the mic doesn’t go over the guy. If the bg data is being messed up by the guy going over it, just use a cleanplate made from one of the most “clean” frames and load that back in and tell mocha to 'use clean-plates exclusively". If the camera moves in rotation side to side a lot you may have to use multiple cleanplates. But just pick the “clean frames” from the shot where the mic isn’t in frame.

If you’re still not sure what I mean, get an ftp client like filezilla or cyberduck, email me for the login info, and upload the frames to us.

Cheers!
Mary

I’m not sure about that footage. If it will load the footage, don’t worry about it. If it won’t, convert to a 16 bit TIFF sequence, those work well for mocha in my experience.
Cheers,
Mary

Hey man,

Clean-plates are kindof my specialty; if you want, I can take a look at the shot in motion and show you the best way to fix this. You’ll need to email me and get some ftp info and we can go over the file.

Cheers,
Mary

Hey man,
I looked at your file, and the only problem I had was with the interlacing. But basically you will solve this shot by following these steps:
Track the background plane (in this case, the treeline) by tracking the left side of the treeline. I’d just grab the whole left third of the frame and give it a few moment to track out nicely. Name is BG layer
Turn the track off of your BG layer. Go to the keyframe you made your spline shape on for this track, and slide your shape over to be over the area the mic passes.
Rotoscope a shape around the mic, name this mic layer, you’ll need to move the shape offscreen when his mic goes under the arm he holds the gun with, soften the edges of that shape when you’re done.
Make sure your mic layer is above your BG layer.
Go to the remove tab in mocha pro. Make sure mic layer is selected.
Load in your cleanplate by going to the remove module>input tab>under cleanplate clip there will be a dropdown menu (this is in the far left of the remove module). Hit import.
A dialogue box appears. Navigate to your cleanplate you made. In the dialog box that comes up there will be a file section and a frame number section. Change the frame number from ALL to the frame number you painted the cleanplate from. This will replace the data mocha is looking at on that frame.
Check “use cleanplates exclusively” in the input tab in the remove module.
You’ll notice the tracking forward button has been replaced with render. Render forwards.
You should now have the mic replaced with only the cleanplate you made moving according to how the background layer was tracked.
If you need any more help, let me know. Also, curious turtle has a really great remove tutorial available on our website for purchase.
Cheers,
Mary

I am downloading your file and will look at it first thing this morning (PST). I will get back to you here ASAP.
Cheers,
Mary

I am downloading your file and will look at it first thing this morning (PST). I will get back to you here ASAP.

Cheers,
Mary

Hey man,

I looked at your file, and the only problem I had was with the interlacing. But basically you will solve this shot by following these steps:

Track the background plane (in this case, the treeline) by tracking the left side of the treeline. I’d just grab the whole left third of the frame and give it a few moment to track out nicely. Name is BG layer

Turn the track off of your BG layer. Go to the keyframe you made your spline shape on for this track, and slide your shape over to be over the area the mic passes.

Rotoscope a shape around the mic, name this mic layer, you’ll need to move the shape offscreen when his mic goes under the arm he holds the gun with, soften the edges of that shape when you’re done.

Make sure your mic layer is above your BG layer.

Go to the remove tab in mocha pro. Make sure mic layer is selected.

Load in your cleanplate by going to the remove module>input tab>under cleanplate clip there will be a dropdown menu (this is in the far left of the remove module). Hit import.

A dialogue box appears. Navigate to your cleanplate you made. In the dialog box that comes up there will be a file section and a frame number section. Change the frame number from ALL to the frame number you painted the cleanplate from. This will replace the data mocha is looking at on that frame.

Check “use cleanplates exclusively” in the input tab in the remove module.

You’ll notice the tracking forward button has been replaced with render. Render forwards.

You should now have the mic replaced with only the cleanplate you made moving according to how the background layer was tracked.

If you need any more help, let me know. Also, curious turtle has a really great remove tutorial available on our website for purchase.

Cheers,
Mary

Like Martin said, convert it down to lossless.

Like Martin said, convert it down to lossless.

Should I use Mocha for removing the Mic or is there an easy alternative, for example the mic moves in and out of shoot. and when I tried to use remove in Mocha Pro it replaced the mic with some of his skin just above the mic. Suggestions Suggestions please

Lads Im struggling to remove a mic from a moving shot. any suggestion, the mic in on his the top of him jumper under his chin, still from clip is attached.

Should I use Mocha for removing the Mic or is there an easy alternative, for example the mic moves in and out of shoot. and when I tried to use remove in Mocha Pro it replaced the mic with some of his skin just above the mic. Suggestions Suggestions please

what about the format h.264 from the canon 5d would that effect the removal or should i down convert?

what about the format h.264 from the canon 5d would that effect the removal or should i down convert?