Remove module creating artifacts when holdout layers intersect with remove layer

Hey so I’m using the remove module here and whenever the leg masks intersect the wall sockets masks, this strange popping artifact shows up. Also the resulting edge of the leg is very harsh and aliased.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’m still fairly new to mocha pro :slight_smile:

Does the hold-out matte of the leg have any feathering on it? This may be the reason your remove is aliased.

Is appears you are using “Interpolated” as your lighting model. Did you try the other models first?

Honestly I would do the remove on the one leg and in a separate layer or track, roto the other leg back on top. The remove module doesn’t really like occlusions, especially not transparent occlusions.

You also might get better results with patching this in the insert module instead of using the remove.

Please see this tutorial for an insert patching workflow: https://borisfx.com/videos/mocha-pro-patching-removing-obscured-objects-with-insert-module/

Cheers,
Mary

1 Like

Thank you, the Insert tool sounds like the solution as I am definitely dealing with occlusion here. I’ll look into that