Remove module problems

Hi! I’m having problems with the remove module that i seriously can’t figure out.
I’m in trial mode so i only have 7 days left and i really need to finish a project for my post-graduation course.
I watched and read all about this module and in my first attempt it worked perfectly. I tracked my background, created a new clean plate, removed the unwanted content in photoshop, saved on top of my original clean plate and worked brilliantly.
But now, i’m really into the main project, i calibrated the lens, tracked everything perfectly, even exported the camera solve with 98% precision, and in the end when i created a new folder to track only the parts i wanted to remove (I’m talking about a building, removing two windows and a water drain) i started geting problems. not only sometimes it just doesn’t load the retouched clean plate giving me an error notice, but when it does load, my clean plate doesn’t stick to the footage. Basically my selected area acts like a normal mask and when the camera starts to move (pan movement) the retouched clean plate stays still underneath. doesnt follow the tracking.
Another thing and i’ll try to get print screens, it sort of smudges the altered image, other times it shows it like the opacity is very low.
So basically, i create a clean plate, remove what i want, do single frame render to see it (when it renders its perfect) but when i render forward or backwards for the rest of the clip it gives all kinds of problems :s.
another thing, but for now i’m not using, the auto remove content-aware like option many times simply does not work.
Hope you can help me,
looking forward for your reply.
Pedro Davis

Get some rest, working tired is the best way to mess up a shot. :wink: I do that all the time.

Can you send me the footage and file? There’s something weird going on there and I’d like to see if I can find out what, it’s hard to tell with screenshots.

Cheers,
Mary

Hi there,
Try this:
Go to edit>remove renders in all frames
Delete your old cleanplate clip out of mocha.
Make a new remove layer and hook it up to your old remove layer track, move the old remove layer track to the bottom of the layer pile.
Re-import your cleanplate clip as a new clip
Make sure “use cleanplates exclusively” is checked on
Try re-rendering from there and see if you get the same results.
If that doesn’t work, let me know.
Cheers,
Mary

Hi there,

Try this:

Go to edit>remove renders in all frames
Delete your old cleanplate clip out of mocha.
Make a new remove layer and hook it up to your old remove layer track, move the old remove layer track to the bottom of the layer pile.
Re-import your cleanplate clip as a new clip
Make sure “use cleanplates exclusively” is checked on
Try re-rendering from there and see if you get the same results.

If that doesn’t work, let me know.

Cheers,
Mary

Can you send me the footage and file? There’s something weird going on there and I’d like to see if I can find out what, it’s hard to tell with screenshots.
Cheers,
Mary

Oh no, so, with lens distortion removes you need to solve for the lens first. You may need to redo this shot and solve for the lens warp and re-track to get a good solve.
:
Mary

Oh no, so, with lens distortion removes you need to solve for the lens first. You may need to redo this shot and solve for the lens warp and re-track to get a good solve.

:
Mary

Get some rest, working tired is the best way to mess up a shot. :wink: I do that all the time.

OK, so there’s multiple things wrong with this shot for your remove:

1. Your track was not rock solid. I used adjust track to correct it using the edges on the left/center window.
  2. Your cleanplate was not rock solid, the lines of the building on the “clean” frame did not line up with the still, so they won’t line up in motion.
  3. You had to too many overlapping shapes interacting with one another, I just made a large BG shape and made sure the corners didn’t get warped with the lens tool too far off screen, I had to animate the corner points on the right side of the screen to come in.
  4. The cleanplate I used was taken from the most undistorted part of the shot. So where the pipe was in the middle of the lens.
  5. Keep. It. Simple. :slight_smile:
  6. You can comp the cleanplate over the original plate with a soft mask and add film grain matching back into the cleanplate in AE or nuke for best results.
    I am emailing you your file and the proper cleanplate to use so you can see what changed.
    Cheers,
    Mary

OK, so there’s multiple things wrong with this shot for your remove:

1. Your track was not rock solid. I used adjust track to correct it using the edges on the left/center window.

2. Your cleanplate was not rock solid, the lines of the building on the “clean” frame did not line up with the still, so they won’t line up in motion.

3. You had to too many overlapping shapes interacting with one another, I just made a large BG shape and made sure the corners didn’t get warped with the lens tool too far off screen, I had to animate the corner points on the right side of the screen to come in.

4. The cleanplate I used was taken from the most undistorted part of the shot. So where the pipe was in the middle of the lens.

5. Keep. It. Simple. :slight_smile:

6. You can comp the cleanplate over the original plate with a soft mask and add film grain matching back into the cleanplate in AE or nuke for best results.

I am emailing you your file and the proper cleanplate to use so you can see what changed.

Cheers,
Mary

Hi! I’m having problems with the remove module that i seriously can’t figure out.

I’m in trial mode so i only have 7 days left and i really need to finish a project for my post-graduation course.
I watched and read all about this module and in my first attempt it worked perfectly. I tracked my background, created a new clean plate, removed the unwanted content in photoshop, saved on top of my original clean plate and worked brilliantly.

But now, i’m really into the main project, i calibrated the lens, tracked everything perfectly, even exported the camera solve with 98% precision, and in the end when i created a new folder to track only the parts i wanted to remove (I’m talking about a building, removing two windows and a water drain) i started geting problems. not only sometimes it just doesn’t load the retouched clean plate giving me an error notice, but when it does load, my clean plate doesn’t stick to the footage. Basically my selected area acts like a normal mask and when the camera starts to move (pan movement) the retouched clean plate stays still underneath. doesnt follow the tracking.
Another thing and i’ll try to get print screens, it sort of smudges the altered image, other times it shows it like the opacity is very low.

So basically, i create a clean plate, remove what i want, do single frame render to see it (when it renders its perfect) but when i render forward or backwards for the rest of the clip it gives all kinds of problems :s.

another thing, but for now i’m not using, the auto remove content-aware like option many times simply does not work.

Hope you can help me,
looking forward for your reply.

Pedro Davis

I had already tried what you said, but i tried it again, and again with an odd result. i’m attaching images so you can see.
Another thing is, if i press the edit button underneath the cleanplate clip option, when it’s selected to none the program closes and asks if i want to send the report to imagineer systems.
Here goes, the treated cleanplate in Ps and the result i get (this time) when i render.
As it shows, it only corrects something very small at the bottom.
The third image, is an example of what happens to the drain after it starts rendering in time.
The first frame is perfect and the rest start looking like this.
Thank you so much for the help

I had already tried what you said, but i tried it again, and again with an odd result. i’m attaching images so you can see.

Another thing is, if i press the edit button underneath the cleanplate clip option, when it’s selected to none the program closes and asks if i want to send the report to imagineer systems.

Here goes, the treated cleanplate in Ps and the result i get (this time) when i render.

As it shows, it only corrects something very small at the bottom.

The third image, is an example of what happens to the drain after it starts rendering in time.
The first frame is perfect and the rest start looking like this.

Thank you so much for the help

I will! Let me just organise :slight_smile:

I will! Let me just organise :slight_smile:

Think i won’t need!! :slight_smile:
i had my tracking folder above my remove folder and the hidden splines from the first one were affecting the second!
THAT’S OUT OF THE WAY!
Now i’m getting a different problem…my cleanplate stays in place but it’s getting distorted.
Is that because of the lens distortion? It was filmed with an 8mm lense and mocha has been
battling with that since the beginning.

Think i won’t need!! :slight_smile:
i had my tracking folder above my remove folder and the hidden splines from the first one were affecting the second!

THAT’S OUT OF THE WAY!

Now i’m getting a different problem…my cleanplate stays in place but it’s getting distorted.
Is that because of the lens distortion? It was filmed with an 8mm lense and mocha has been
battling with that since the beginning.

Sorry! My mistake, i’m so tyred i can’t see the obvious. it is just the track that’s slipping.
And yes, i calibrated the lens before i solved it :slight_smile:

Sorry! My mistake, i’m so tyred i can’t see the obvious. it is just the track that’s slipping.
And yes, i calibrated the lens before i solved it :slight_smile: