Remove module questions

Here is a link to the clip I’m working with…

At around the 50 second mark you will see the “Alliance” logo on the bus appear from behind a bystanders head. I need to remove this logo from the side of the bus.Now, I’m running into a few problems…
First, I get a decent track (but it slips at times) by just selecting pretty much the entire bus. However, The man running towards the bus seems to throw off my track a bit. Any tips for improving it? I’ve tried just isolating the smaller parts of the bus and adjusting as new sections are revealed but it doesn’t seem to work as well as just selecting the whole thing. Any tips/suggestions?
I’m working off two clean plates I made. First one where the logo is blurry made from around the 53 second mark and second where it’s more in focus at 56 second mark.
The logo is partially (and sometimes completely) obscured by a foreground element. So I track and roto these elements and put the layers above remove layer. So when I render a remove frame it seems to properly recognize a foreground element and composite accordingly.
However, when using linear or interpolated illumination modes I run into a problem where if the logo is partially obscured it will drastically shift the final renders lighting conditions. Basically, if the man in white’s shoulder crosses the logo then the render will render a very white/bright bus side and will not match at all. The same thing happens with the woman in the leather jacket.
I initially thought my roto was too tight but after expanding it well beyond the edge it still appears to take those pixels into account. How can I get the illumination modes to ignore these parts? Is there something else I have to do besides just put the layer above?
Lastly, after the cut at 1:18 I was able to succesuflly track and remove the logo using the linear illumination mode. However, no foreground elements cross the plane in this case…
Thanks
Eric

Hi there,
If your track is sliding a little, try tracking a different area or using adjust track, or both.
For the middle section of the remove where you have blurry FG elements over the top of the Alliance logo, you might want to use cleanplates exclusively, use more cleanplates, and turn illumination modeling off. You can also try masking that area off using your mocha masks in another compositing program, blurring that area, and then compositing the FG people back over the top with nice roto. That should fix your edge issues.
The remove at the end of the shot should be fairly straightforward though, as they don’t even cross over the logo at the end. You can just make a nice, tight shape there and make sure your edges don’t touch the people (here’s why: the illumination modeling algorithm is kinda like the heal tool in photoshop, it pulls in all surrounding colors, you have to watch your edges or they will pull in colors you do not want into your remove. You can also animate illumination modeling on and off for certain frames.)
Hope that helps,
Mary

Hi there,

If your track is sliding a little, try tracking a different area or using adjust track, or both.

For the middle section of the remove where you have blurry FG elements over the top of the Alliance logo, you might want to use cleanplates exclusively, use more cleanplates, and turn illumination modeling off. You can also try masking that area off using your mocha masks in another compositing program, blurring that area, and then compositing the FG people back over the top with nice roto. That should fix your edge issues.

The remove at the end of the shot should be fairly straightforward though, as they don’t even cross over the logo at the end. You can just make a nice, tight shape there and make sure your edges don’t touch the people (here’s why: the illumination modeling algorithm is kinda like the heal tool in photoshop, it pulls in all surrounding colors, you have to watch your edges or they will pull in colors you do not want into your remove. You can also animate illumination modeling on and off for certain frames.)

Hope that helps,
Mary

Here is a link to the clip I’m working with…

At around the 50 second mark you will see the “Alliance” logo on the bus appear from behind a bystanders head. I need to remove this logo from the side of the bus.Now, I’m running into a few problems…

First, I get a decent track (but it slips at times) by just selecting pretty much the entire bus. However, The man running towards the bus seems to throw off my track a bit. Any tips for improving it? I’ve tried just isolating the smaller parts of the bus and adjusting as new sections are revealed but it doesn’t seem to work as well as just selecting the whole thing. Any tips/suggestions?

I’m working off two clean plates I made. First one where the logo is blurry made from around the 53 second mark and second where it’s more in focus at 56 second mark.

The logo is partially (and sometimes completely) obscured by a foreground element. So I track and roto these elements and put the layers above remove layer. So when I render a remove frame it seems to properly recognize a foreground element and composite accordingly.

However, when using linear or interpolated illumination modes I run into a problem where if the logo is partially obscured it will drastically shift the final renders lighting conditions. Basically, if the man in white’s shoulder crosses the logo then the render will render a very white/bright bus side and will not match at all. The same thing happens with the woman in the leather jacket.

I initially thought my roto was too tight but after expanding it well beyond the edge it still appears to take those pixels into account. How can I get the illumination modes to ignore these parts? Is there something else I have to do besides just put the layer above?

Lastly, after the cut at 1:18 I was able to succesuflly track and remove the logo using the linear illumination mode. However, no foreground elements cross the plane in this case…

Thanks
Eric