Remove module - Workflow question

So, I’m attempting to remove the text logo on the side of school bus. Here is a video (https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/wescott/public/BusTrack.mov) displaying my project file.
Now, my understanding is the “Remove” layer (green) uses it’s shape determine the area to remove. It will only remove the area of the shape contained in the tracking shape layer. In my case the “BusTrack” (red) layer. It will also ignore any overlapping area of shape layers above it in the stack.
If you watch the video you can see I tracked the side of the bus and used several shapes and animated them to achieve ensure the man running and the other people don’t mess up the track. So, when I did this it the shape doesn’t always cover the area I want to remove and thus doesn’t properly remove the logo on all frames.
How do I create a new layer that contains the “BusTrack” tracking data but has a new shape layer specifically to cover the logo used to clip the remove… I tried creating a new layer called “LogoShape” and linking it to the track and then linking the Remove layer to “LogoShape” but it doesn’t seem to let you link to a link.
I might be wording this question poorly but basically I’m trying to avoid adjusting the shapes in “BusTrack” because it seems like a bad idea to repurpose those shapes after I used them for a track.
Thanks
Eric

You can really do this one of 2 ways:

1. Link a new “background” shape to your bus track that always covers the logo area. You could in actual fact just duplicate the remove layer for this, as you are only caring about that specific area and you are only using clean plates, as there is no moving background behind the logo.
  2. Remove the keys from your tracking shape and readjust it to always cover the logo. Once you have tracked, you are free to do with the shape whatever you like. It does not control the track in any way, it is merely a search area. In general I don’t recommend this way of working however, because if anyone else, or even yourself comes back to this file, you won’t know how the tracking was achieved.

You can really do this one of 2 ways:

1. Link a new “background” shape to your bus track that always covers the logo area. You could in actual fact just duplicate the remove layer for this, as you are only caring about that specific area and you are only using clean plates, as there is no moving background behind the logo.
  2. Remove the keys from your tracking shape and readjust it to always cover the logo. Once you have tracked, you are free to do with the shape whatever you like. It does not control the track in any way, it is merely a search area. In general I don’t recommend this way of working however, because if anyone else, or even yourself comes back to this file, you won’t know how the tracking was achieved.

So, I’m attempting to remove the text logo on the side of school bus. Here is a video (https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/wescott/public/BusTrack.mov) displaying my project file.

Now, my understanding is the “Remove” layer (green) uses it’s shape determine the area to remove. It will only remove the area of the shape contained in the tracking shape layer. In my case the “BusTrack” (red) layer. It will also ignore any overlapping area of shape layers above it in the stack.

If you watch the video you can see I tracked the side of the bus and used several shapes and animated them to achieve ensure the man running and the other people don’t mess up the track. So, when I did this it the shape doesn’t always cover the area I want to remove and thus doesn’t properly remove the logo on all frames.

How do I create a new layer that contains the “BusTrack” tracking data but has a new shape layer specifically to cover the logo used to clip the remove… I tried creating a new layer called “LogoShape” and linking it to the track and then linking the Remove layer to “LogoShape” but it doesn’t seem to let you link to a link.

I might be wording this question poorly but basically I’m trying to avoid adjusting the shapes in “BusTrack” because it seems like a bad idea to repurpose those shapes after I used them for a track.

Thanks
Eric

—Quote (Originally by Peter)—
Just track the bus somewhere (like You did) then use ?berkey or if You just have a few keyframes for the track shape expand the tracking shape to cover the logo.
Peter
—End Quote—
This is the part that confuses me. Adjusting the shape so that it specifically covers the logo seems like a bad way to work for several reasons. Those shapes were created for the track and if I need to refine my track later or make changes that process becomes more complicated now that I adjusted these shapes for a new purpose. Am I over-thinking this? Is it generally unheard of to refine your track in such a manor?

My first thought was to create a new layer (calling it say “GarbageMatte”) with a shape that specifically covers the general area I wish to remove. Link that to my track layer. Then add a second layer and a more refined shape for the logo removal and link that to the “GarbageMatte” layer. This way the shapes I used for the track aren’t adjusted just for the remove.Then if I’m in the middle of the remove process and I notice track wasn’t quite as accurate as I thought I can simply refine the track as it was original created rather than potentially having to undo shape adjustments I made for the remove back to how they were for the track to fix it.

Does this make sense? Is it pretty much never going to happen where I track something, adjust my shapes to for the remove process and then realize the track isn’t solid enough and then have to undo those changes to refine the track? If this does happen are there better ways to handle it?

Thanks
Eric

Just track the bus somewhere (like You did) then use ?berkey or if You just have a few keyframes for the track shape expand the tracking shape to cover the logo.
Peter
—End Quote—
This is the part that confuses me. Adjusting the shape so that it specifically covers the logo seems like a bad way to work for several reasons. Those shapes were created for the track and if I need to refine my track later or make changes that process becomes more complicated now that I adjusted these shapes for a new purpose. Am I over-thinking this? Is it generally unheard of to refine your track in such a manor?
My first thought was to create a new layer (calling it say “GarbageMatte”) with a shape that specifically covers the general area I wish to remove. Link that to my track layer. Then add a second layer and a more refined shape for the logo removal and link that to the “GarbageMatte” layer. This way the shapes I used for the track aren’t adjusted just for the remove.Then if I’m in the middle of the remove process and I notice track wasn’t quite as accurate as I thought I can simply refine the track as it was original created rather than potentially having to undo shape adjustments I made for the remove back to how they were for the track to fix it.
Does this make sense? Is it pretty much never going to happen where I track something, adjust my shapes to for the remove process and then realize the track isn’t solid enough and then have to undo those changes to refine the track? If this does happen are there better ways to handle it?
Thanks
Eric

Besides that, I understand from the various tutorials online and on the imagenner website that it’s absolutely ok to change the shape on the tracked background in this case.
—End Quote—
Cool, I think that answers my question. Thanks!
—Quote—
I don’t know but just guess, that the tracked background really has not to be as accurate as a “real” track for an insert or a roto. It just tells the remove module where to look at. In Your case the content of the background isn’t even used as You have to use cleanplates.
—End Quote—
The track still has to be accurate to properly use clean plates. The accuracy of the track allows the information to be extracted from the clean plate and manipulating it to fit the new position on the frame. Otherwise you’d be manually performing the remove on every frame.

Besides that, I understand from the various tutorials online and on the imagenner website that it’s absolutely ok to change the shape on the tracked background in this case.
—End Quote—
Cool, I think that answers my question. Thanks!

—Quote—
I don’t know but just guess, that the tracked background really has not to be as accurate as a “real” track for an insert or a roto. It just tells the remove module where to look at. In Your case the content of the background isn’t even used as You have to use cleanplates.
—End Quote—
The track still has to be accurate to properly use clean plates. The accuracy of the track allows the information to be extracted from the clean plate and manipulating it to fit the new position on the frame. Otherwise you’d be manually performing the remove on every frame.

I really don’t completely get what You try to explain. But I suppose there’s a fundamental misunderstanding how the remove module works.
Then handanimate or link the remove layer to cover the logo. Do Your (several) cleanplates and remove.The remove layer must be above the tracked bus and any layer above the remove layer will be held out. I guess from tracking as well as from the remove module.
I hope that helps.
Peter

I really don’t completely get what You try to explain. But I suppose there’s a fundamental misunderstanding how the remove module works.

Then handanimate or link the remove layer to cover the logo. Do Your (several) cleanplates and remove.The remove layer must be above the tracked bus and any layer above the remove layer will be held out. I guess from tracking as well as from the remove module.

I hope that helps.

Peter

Peter

Peter