Removing the Background not the Foreground

Hello together, i´m Jan and i´m totally impressed by your Trainig Video about the remove modul. The walking man is completely deleted from the scene.
But my question now is: Is it possible with mocha to do this reverse ? I mean that the background will be deleted, but the walking man is not deleted, and in a perfect world he would have an Alpha-Chanel.

Greets from Germany

Jan

Hi there,

We usually do this with roto in mocha, it will give a better result than an “automatic” solution like keying. You might want to look into trying a remove and using a difference matte though to pull the guy off the background. But you will have very limited results with that method. Roto is more reliable and looks better.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to help you.

Cheers,
Mary

Hello MaryP,

to show you what i think about, i give you a link to the youtube video, which has to be the footage.

Video

This is very bad footage, i know. I think the parts of the video with the orange Background i can make with chroma keying,

but there are those cruel flowers and so on. A really interesting question is, how to get rid of the flowers, because

I want to get the Women, with black ground, or alpha chanel. There are some blury effects,

which look like the 80th, but thats what the time, this video was made.

It would be nice from you, if you watch the footage, and tell me first wether it´s doable.

And if yes it would be fine if you tell me a step by step explanation of how you would do it.

Greets from Germany

Jan

PS. I hope you enjoy the music.

Hi Jan,

The music is nice! But I’d just use roto for separating this lady out from the background, not the remove. You will want to watch these two tutorials:

http://www.imagineersystems.com/videos/mocha-fundamentals-chapter-11-mask-shapes-and-roto2/

This is the best way to cut someone out of a background like that, especially when the footage is older as yours is. Follow those instructions and you will be masking this lady out of the shot in no time!

Cheers,
Mary

Thanks for the fast help. I will watch both videos.

If you like the music. This is the same lady, but 31 years later. I have made the video by myself, during the concert. Januar of this year.

Greets from Germany

Jan