Rendering a clip in Mocha Pro without anti-aliasing

Hello there,

I have an issue when I export a composition I made using the insert module within Mocha Pro. On the screenshot I posted you can see the problem, both of the pictures are using the same export options but they look really different. For production purposes I need to export my composition in an EXR sequence without any anti-aliasing, After Effects usually calls it “Draft” quality.
The thing is when I use a module like Insert or Stabilize, Mocha is rendering it with anti-aliasing and it is blurring the edges of the pixels. I need my pixels to be sharp.
To have the result I want I had to do a trick. I created nulls of my PowerMesh and link them to puppet position pins. And I could actually get a nice and sharp render without any anti-aliasing within After Effects.
The problem is that it’s a very time consuming workflow and I rather want to use the insert or stabilize module in Mocha Pro.
Is there any preference or settings I could use to render my inserts without anti-aliasing, or with a draft quality within Mocha Pro?

I’m using the Mocha Pro plugin 2022 (version 9.0.1) for After Effects 2022.

Thank you!

Hi there,

I would try changing the resampling in file> project settings:

I am not sure which sampling will be best for you, but it’s worth trying a few.

Cheers,
Mary

Thanks for the quick answer Mary!
I tried all the resampling options but it doesn’t seem to affect the anti-aliasing :thinking:
Edit : It seems like the “nearest” resampling actually affects the quality of the anti-aliasing, it’s sharper but there still some blurry edges.

That might be the limitation of what we can get you then. Ironically, usually the desire is not for sharp edges and you need them. Let me see if @martinb has anything to add from the dev side of things but I think that’s going to be the limit of what we can do. I could be wrong though.

Yeah it’s a very specific need I understand that :cry:
Thank you very much for your answers Mary.

Yeah, we’d definitely need to add an option to do that. There’s no workaround sadly.
I’ll make a feature request.

My only question is: Why do you need anti-aliased rendering? It will help us make sure anything we add is useful.

1 Like

Thank you so much Martin. The more options the better!

Basically my team needs to track a texture where each pixel has a specific color and coordinate. If this texture has anti-aliasing the pixels are going to blur and I’m going to lose my coordinates.
I know it’s a very specific case but I’m sure if you add this feature in the future there’s going to be a lot more use case than that.

I’m intrigued. I assume you’ve got stuff under NDA but i’d love to hear more about the process if you’re allowed.

Having said that, if you need to specifically get data from specific pixel coordindates, has the team tried just accessing the image output from our Python API? There may be some beneficial overlap.

I would love to share more but yeah I’m under NDA. Sorry Martin.

That’s a good idea, I’m going to take a look at your Python API.