Resolve 18 w/ Plugin, Whole Clip Comes In

Trying the Resolve 18 Beta (Public Beta 4 Update). I noticed when you launch the Si plugin, the entire source camera clip comes in, not just the edited shot. So if you’re expecting to see 60 frames in the Si session, you instead see 5000, and can’t keep your place in the actual clip that’s in the edit. FWIW, I’m using Windows, Si 2022, and have a RED Raw clip that’s spanned.

A little unrelated, with the plugin, is the idea that you have one unique Si project per shot in Resolve? So if you have, as I do, 54 shots on a Resolve timeline to cleanup, you should just name a new Si session each time you launch the plugin? There’s no way to have one master Si project per Resolve project, and each shot as its own session in Si?

Hey there, thanks for the post. Marco, the SIlhouette product manager is on vaca this week, but I will try to answer your question and then follow up after I discuss it with the team.

the entire source camera clip comes in, not just the edited shot.

I believe this is known behavior but you should be able to change the in/out in the Silhouette viewer, so you can isolate the playback and timeline to your clip duration. This is potentially a good thing as you will have access to the handles of the media if your edit changes.

the idea that you have one unique Si project per shot in Resolve?

Yes, this is essentially how Silhouette or Mocha Pro work in editing hosts on a timeline. I would think of each instance as its own project and this will give you the best approach for saving.

There’s no way to have one master Si project per Resolve project, and each shot as its own session in Si?

I am not sure if this is possible. I would probably make one master Silhouette folder location for the timeline/project and each shot its own project. Alternatively, if you used the Silhouette standalone application, you could create one project for the timeline, export your clips with in/outs as exports, link these into one Silhouette project, and create a session for each.
I do not use SIlhouette much in Resolve but inside an After Effects comp, I prefer that each effect instance is its’ own project.

Again, HTH and I will do a little research and follow up.

Best,
Ross

1 Like

I went the method of exporting my clips individually from Resolve and doing a traditional VFX roundtrip, which works well, in a single Si project.

But FYI, none of the popular video formats writable from Resolve Windows are working with Si 2022’s GStreamer importer. DNxHR 444 and DNxHR HQX (either in .mxf or .mov) both crash upon import into Si. Cineform 16-bit does import technically, but to load a frame causes a 20-secondish hang.

So I went with trusty EXR, which is fine, but perhaps worth checking.

These are 8K files.

Thanks for the update. The Gstreamer support is still coming along. I have mentioned the crashing using these formats to the team. @dungeonbeach would it be possible for you to share with us an example of the 8K files that are crashing your system? If possible you can email me at RossS (at) BorisFX (dotcom).

The majority of Silhouette users use sequential files like EXR but as the product is adopted by more users who require video support, I believe this will get better for the next major release.

Best,
Ross