Roundtrip After Effects to Silhouette color match problem

I’m having a problem where I tested rendering a single frame that had been roto’d in Silhouette, I rendered this frame as both and OpenEXR and a Tiff both with RGB and Alpha (was not sure which file format I would need/prefer to use). When I compare these rendered frames to the original Tiff frame I exported from After Effects, the Silhouette Renders as Tiff and OpenEXR are waaay brighter. The only time I get a perfect Silhouette Render to match is by choosing JPG for the output, but If I want Alpha, jpg only creates a separate jpg for the alpha, not like the embedded alpha like Tiff or OpenEXR.

For reference:
The original video files are Panasonic VLOG 10bit, the AE and Silhouette projects are both set to 16bit. The tiff sequence I exported from AE to use in Silhouette definitely matches perfectly with the original movie files being used in AE, but I have only done roto work and no color/brightness tweaks in Silhouette, so I’m at a blank for the reason I’m not getting a perfect Silhouette Render match when Rendering as tiff or OpenEXR. I’m thinking maybe it’s colorspace related possibly? But I have no idea how to correct this for Rendering as Tiff or OpenEXR.

Thanks for any help!!! :slight_smile:

Hey, sorry if this is a late reply to your issue. It sounds like your getting a doubling up of the gamma when you re import your footage back into Ae. First thing you can do to to check this is to do the following in Ae:
open the “Interpret Footage” panel for the file you rendered from Silhouette change the "Color Management " setting to use “Embedded Profile” by checking the "Preserve RGB (Disable color management conversion for this item). This will stop Ae adding a gamma profile which will cause the image to appear brighter.
Let me know how you go, if this does not help we can look for other issues that might be causing it.

Hi, doing what you said works in AE, thank you for that!!
The Silhouette Render now matches color perfectly with the original video when viewed in AE. Just wondering though, when looking at the Silhouette Render in Mac Preview, or just looking at the tumbnails in the Mac Browser, the Silhouette Render looks blown out compared to the AE exported still and video file frame. Is there a way to tweak the Render file on the Silhouette end so that the Silhouette Render will match when viewing in Mac Preview or an other previewers that do not have a ‘preserve RGB’ function?

Thanks again.

So first up what file type are you using. If your using .exr that won’t be possible as far as I know, and you will need to render to something else.
What is your color management setup in Ae at the moment. When you render from Ae what is your settings.
Your standard views are doing what your experiencing in Ae they add gamma. If you have the S_OCIO plugin installed or if there is another alternative for Silhouette you could use that to remove the Srgb curve and render previews that way, but I have not tried that, and that is also destructive and not recommend unless just for preview purposes.

I’ll have to look into the S_OCIO you mentioned, but touching on what you said regarding OpenEXR, I just replaced my Tiff sequence in Silhouette with an OpenEXR sequence created in AE of the same movie file, but I’ve just notice that Sllhouette is not recognizing any of the Roto shapes/cutouts, everything is just blue when I view the Output, but it looks fine with blue and cutouts on the Tiff version in Silhouette. Does Silhouette not do roto/cutouts on OpenEXR files? Is that the problem you were referring to regarding OpenEXR?

Thanks!

Yes Silhouette does work with .exr files perfectly. But I have noticed this and not sure as to why it happens with .exr files

You can try this and should get you going again:

1. Add a Color to Alpha node after the Roto node

2.Pipe the output of the Roto node into the input and the output of the Roto channels into the Obey Matte input and check Obey you might need to also check the invert option also.
You should be able to view your Alpha channel by choosing the alpha in the viewer.

1. Add a Premultiply node after the color to alpha node before plugging into the Output node and make sure you check Alpha in the channels to render.

Let me know if this works or not for you.