Sapphire Transitions in MC with BCC Title Studio

Hello again.

Now that I’ve mastered applying your filters to titles in MC with Title Studio (Definitive 'Apply To Title/Key" workflow within Media Composer) and got my head around using Sapphire transitions between titles (Transitions between Title Studio effects - #2 by PeterMcAuley), I’m now all ears on how to apply transitions between solo titles without affecting my background.

Could I trouble you for a definitive workflow?

My thanks,

Ed

1 Like

Hello,

Here’s the workflow that we found works for title transitions in Avid - the third paragraph in the text below is most pertinent to your question from above (I recommend saving this out as a text file for future reference.)

Cheers,
Peter.

The most important thing is that both clips that are transitioning must have either a BCC or Sapphire filter on them and be set with background None so they preserve the alpha. Then apply the Continuum or Sapphire transition. Then use BCC Composite on the track above to do the real composite over the background.

Transitions between BCC Titles: Create two separate overlapping title clips on V1 with any BCC filter such as Title Studio. Make sure the Background layer is set to None in both the titles. Then apply any BCC or Sapphire transition to the overlap between the two titles to create a transition between two titles which appears to be composited over black but which has a live alpha channel. Then add the desired final background clip to V2 (above the transition) and apply BCC Composite to this clip. Change the composite mode to Normal instead of default and you should see the transition between titles composited over the unaffected background.

Transitions between native title-mattes: Take the same approach as for transitions between BCC Titles (above) but requires a few additional steps. Create native avid title mattes on the two V1 clips. Apply BCC Brightness and Contrast effects to each native title matte, select Apply to Title, and set Background to None. This will preserve the alpha channel so that when the BCC or Sapphire transition is applied, the final Composite filter can generate a true composite between titles with intact alpha channels.

1 Like

Thanks, Peter; I am indeed saving these workflows off each time. My issue is not with native Avid titles, but a workflow when I can use a Sapphire transition to bring a title on screen without affecting the background. Whilst the workflow you kindly sent before helped me add a filter to a title, I’m endeavouring (and thus failing) to avoid affecting my background.

I’ve tried various permutations and get closest with Title with transition (SwishPan/FilmRoll) on V1 and Clip on V2 with Composite/Apply Mode: Normal but whilst the title comes on with the effect, my clip is still affected. I’m missing a step somewhere.

Cheers,
Ed

Hey Ed,

Can you please send along a video screen capture so that I can see exactly your timeline and the problem? I just want to be totally clear on the issue at hand before trying to offer up a solution.

Please feel free to send that to me privately if you prefer.

Cheers,
P.

Of course, Peter.

Find attached two screen grabs showing the clip with the Composite on V2 and the FilmRoll transition for the BCC Title that is on V1. You’ll see (just about - black matte to top of image) from the timeline position that the FilmRoll also brings the clip in as well as the title.

Hope this helps,
Ed

Fleshfullsmallsig.jpg

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the screenshots. So what I believe you’re trying to do is to use S_FilmRoll to animate a title created with BCC Title Studio. Is that correct?

If so, I’m curious as to why you might not want to animate the title in the Title Studio custom UI instead of using a transition effect to handle this because there are fully automated rolls/crawls etc in Title Studio that were designed for this very thing.

Thanks,
Peter.

That’s correct, Peter.

In answer to your question, FilmRoll also adds deterioration and distress to the text and its transition - and I must add that this is just a test and that I’m trying out each different Sapphire transition to see if they offer creative options to bring in and lose text on a clip. Sapphire transitions such as Swish Pan work well from one title to another using the aforementioned method, but the settings don’t allow me to transition the first or standalone title without affecting the background clip.

Ed

Fleshfullsmallsig.jpg

Hey Ed,

It’s probably that our transitions do not directly offer the option to use the title matte while preserving the background. Or it could be that using them with Title Studio is the issue. Did you say that you were able to make it work if you use an Avid native title or an imported image with alpha?

Thanks,
P.

Hey Peter; thanks for this.

Has no-one ever tried to use Sapphire Transitions with BCC Titler in MC between clip and title (rather than title and title)? I haven’t tried it with an Avid Titler+ native title, as it’s still a tad clunky. I will when I’m back in the studio tomorrow, though.

Cheers,

Ed

Fleshfullsmallsig.jpg

Hi Peter.

I’ve experimented with Avid Titler+ (with or without adding a BCC Brightness Contrast and setting Background to None) and using a Sapphire transition between two titles using the approved method and whilst the clip disappears with Apply Mode set to Normal, it works well with Apply Mode set to Lighten or Lighter. Crucially, using this Mode, it allows for the transition into the clip - FilmRoll included (!). The solution appears to be, then, to use Avid Titler+ when introducing a new title with a transition.

Ed

Fleshfullsmallsig.jpg

Hi Ed,

Thank you for sharing these very positive results - I’m delighted that you were able to arrive at a workable solution.

Cheers,
Peter.