Screen Replacement with Occlusion

Hello there,

I am trying to track and screen replace a shot of a TV as the camera pans by it. However there are people that walk in front of the TV as well. I have tried using manual track on the portions where the person walks in front of the TV but it appears to throw off all the other keyframes before it. Any advice on how I would track this scene would be great. Thank you!

Here is the clip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11Wxw85VS68xXIMHlreK216gmkAKN4_eu/view?usp=sharing

Manual track is the key here, but also, you need to make sure you add a keyframe before you start adjusting manual track. So switch to manual track on the last good frame, make a track keyframe in manual track, and then adjust on the next several keyframes. You can also track with the tracker in Manual Track to get past some of the frames where you can see the screen again. Or what I like is to track around the section using manual track, so pick two good frames on either end and track into the occlusions from either side. In all of these techniques you will still need to keyframe in Manual Track on a good frame before you jump to another frame.

What version of Mocha AE are you on?

This whole Paragraph of yours, @maryp, should be writ LARGE over ALL my MP work. Especially this nugget of advice:

Now, you’ll might be nodding knowingly and muttering, “Well, er, yeah?”, but having this written has helped me immensely.

And that word: “Occlusions” always gets me, viz “Occult” - neat!

Glad that this breakdown is helpful. Also, words are cool and the English language is a thief of all other languages. Both Occult and Occlusion have the same basic root in Latin and have a very similar but distinct meaning and I find that pretty interesting.

Occlusion is from the mid 17th century: from Latin occlus- ‘shut/close/stop up,’ from the verb occludere. But in this case it means to cover up.

And occult’s usage as a verb is from the late 15th century from Latin occultare ‘secrete’, frequentative of occulere ‘conceal’, based on celare ‘to hide’; the adjective and noun from occult- ‘covered over’, from the verb occulere. And since that also means “hidden” it’s odd we don’t also call it occult, but the nuance is that occult in modern use is more about secret knowledge than actual concealment.

Anyway, none of this is to do with Mocha but enjoy that nonsense for today.

1 Like

No, not nonsense. And the weather talk about an “occluded” front.

Hi Mary & biggrazie, you’re right, English is a combination of many languages, here in England we have France Germany etc all on our doorstep, we are taught English but who remembers much of that from school? not me, not much anyway, there are many European words from other languages in our vocabulary, that’s just accepted, but during the 90s when i was in my 20s i travelled to Crete for a couple of mths at Xmas for several yrs, about a yr if you add them all up, I tried learning Greek, many of their words are within the words of the English language, I found myself having to think deeply & totally dissemble my own words to find the Greek equivalent, also every yr for 5-6 yrs i travelled Europe in the summer for 2-3mths at a time, most of eastern Europe spks or understands German which i learnt a little but I can’t help it now, i question a lot of words i use, often Googling them to know their orig & construction etc.