Screen replacement without "stretching the graphics

I do alot of screen replacements of different devices in mocha pro AE, but think my workflow is little clumsy.

For example - Is this the right workflow for screen replacement of a phone?

1 - track screen with the “blue rectangle” covering the area which will be replaced.
2 - apply corner pin data to the AE comp (with the new the graphics), which got the same res as the size of the tracked clip.
3 - the screen replacement of the phone is inserted perfectly as the corner pins is in each corner of the screen.
4 - The AE comp with new graphics is 1920 x 1080 which match the main comp, but obviously dont match the aspect ratio of the phone.
So the graphics is squeezed inside the phone.
5 - I solve this problem by stretching the graphics in X inside the graphics comp so the graphics on the phone looks right.

My gut feeling is that this is not the correct way to get 100% results in any case as i might stretch it wrong or whatever, and its not nice to animate
the graphics which is stretched. I sometimes solve this by having another comp inside which i can stretch instead.

Is there a better way to get perfect aspect ratio of the inserted graphics with corner pins, without the need of stretching and eyeballing things?
I need control of the inserted graphics as i usually animate the content.

That is a perfectly acceptable workflow. However, you can also align your corner pin in proper space on a select frame and use align surface on that frame to have the same tracked image effect.

That being said, aspect ratio issue can be worked out with the insert module in Mocha Pro, you can affect the ROI and fit the surface to that ROI. Then you can move the surface tool with the cross hairs in the middle of the surface tool in order to not change the ratio and move it into place.

see if this workflow works for you:

in 09:00 talk about screen replacement, in 12:40 I composite the screen. what you see is what you get, very easy once you set it up.

if you have mocha pro 6.1.1, you can skip the expression process and simply export to cc power pin in the export option.

Hey Roei,
Great tutorial. Would it be possible to update and edit in somewhere into the video that Mocha Pro’s 2019 update bypasses the expression linking steps and can generate Power Pin in a simple step?
Thanks!
-Ross

1 Like

Looks great! Maybe we can show this workflow to a wider audience as well when we talk about power pins in our own tutorials!

1 Like

Thank You Ross, I have thought about it and I have put it in the tut description and since the tut is native Ae, so thought it was enough. If you think it’s important I can do it since vimeo does give you the option to replace video.

edit: will add a caption.

Thank you Mary. Please show as much as you can.

It took me a while to get to the point I have a solid RS workflow. I also posted a bit about it here.

There are Other mocha+powerpin tutorials out there with using the unstretch but haven’t seen anyone using the invert +unstretch method together. It solved many issues for me:

1. Using invert alone on a push to edges planar surface was problematic and caused issues and even crashes in Ae since it could go to extreme coordinates.
  2. It also meant you lost your refined planar surface in mocha. (Because it’s pushed to edges)
  3. Corner pin has no MB, and if you choose the MB option you had to be careful for overscaling and losing quality.
  4. Using powepin without invert meant the planer surface was pushed to edges in Ae, it didn’t seem right to me to composite on a distorted shot even if it was stabilized.

with the unstretch there is no extreme dimensions and no issues. Powerpin has MB. And Combined with the invert feature this means Having the comp exactly as you want it and to composite exactly as you wish. I don’t go into that detail in the tutorial but simply say it’s the most efficient way (I have found).

added this caption at 04:39

Perfect!

1 Like