Several layers - export once to AE, is it possible?

—Quote (Originally by ingvarai)—
I have a clip shot sideways from a moving car, country side, forest in the horizon. The problem is that all parts of the image soon will be replaced by new scenery, as the car moves fast (it is shot sideways). I am able to add layers, track the motion, set the in-frame and out-frame etc.

But I do not know how to export all the data to After Effects in one operation. All I want to do is to stabilize my clip in After Effects, X and Y and rotation. How can I do this?

Please note: I have successfully stabilized clips in AFter Effects, using Mocha. But this applies to clips where the same details are visible all the time, when I use one layer only.
The challenge arises when the sceneray slides off-screen totally and is replaced by new scenery as the car moves along the road. And I have to add layers.
How do I solve this?
—End Quote—
Im struggling with a stabilize like this too. I did what J-P suggested and unlinked the “link to track” property. The problem is that while the track area (x-spline) stays still for the duration of the video, the surface area rotates heavily as the camera pans. Is it possible to counter act this rotation in mocha somehow? This rotation should not be in the final video, since it turns the whole video something like 45 degrees. I first tried adjust track, but it didnt seem usefull in this situation, since the “link to track” is set to none.

Any help would be appreciated greatly!

—Quote (Originally by ingvarai)—
I have a clip shot sideways from a moving car, country side, forest in the horizon. The problem is that all parts of the image soon will be replaced by new scenery, as the car moves fast (it is shot sideways). I am able to add layers, track the motion, set the in-frame and out-frame etc.
But I do not know how to export all the data to After Effects in one operation. All I want to do is to stabilize my clip in After Effects, X and Y and rotation. How can I do this?
Please note: I have successfully stabilized clips in AFter Effects, using Mocha. But this applies to clips where the same details are visible all the time, when I use one layer only.
The challenge arises when the sceneray slides off-screen totally and is replaced by new scenery as the car moves along the road. And I have to add layers.
How do I solve this?
—End Quote—
Im struggling with a stabilize like this too. I did what J-P suggested and unlinked the “link to track” property. The problem is that while the track area (x-spline) stays still for the duration of the video, the surface area rotates heavily as the camera pans. Is it possible to counter act this rotation in mocha somehow? This rotation should not be in the final video, since it turns the whole video something like 45 degrees. I first tried adjust track, but it didnt seem usefull in this situation, since the “link to track” is set to none.
Any help would be appreciated greatly!

How do I solve this?

How do I solve this?

—Quote (Originally by J-P)—
Hi ingvari,
The way to handle this is to just use one layer, but unlink the shape from its tracking data.

In the Layer Properties area, select None in the Link to track combo box. This will stop the shape moving with the tracking data.

Hope this helps,J-P
—End Quote—
John-Paul,
it sure helps! Thanks a lot!
I have now experimented and tried your suggestions. I can get it to work, with some modifications. First, I had to disable the X-data using expressions in After Effects, like this:
[0, anchor_point[1]];
By doing this, only the Y values from Mocha are are used. The X-values soon drift off the screen totally, and in this case serve no purpose, since the car moves with a constant speed.
What is more challenging is to keep the rotation data and use them. So far I am not done with this. Mocha reads the landscape as if the car suddenly is tilting very much, which is does not. It does rotate a little though, and I want to correct for this rotation, so more experiments are needed.
Again - thanks for your detailed reply, much appreciated.
ingvarai

—Quote (Originally by J-P)—
Hi ingvari,
The way to handle this is to just use one layer, but unlink the shape from its tracking data.

In the Layer Properties area, select None in the Link to track combo box. This will stop the shape moving with the tracking data.

Hope this helps,J-P
—End Quote—
John-Paul,
it sure helps! Thanks a lot!
I have now experimented and tried your suggestions. I can get it to work, with some modifications. First, I had to disable the X-data using expressions in After Effects, like this:
[0, anchor_point[1]];
By doing this, only the Y values from Mocha are are used. The X-values soon drift off the screen totally, and in this case serve no purpose, since the car moves with a constant speed.
What is more challenging is to keep the rotation data and use them. So far I am not done with this. Mocha reads the landscape as if the car suddenly is tilting very much, which is does not. It does rotate a little though, and I want to correct for this rotation, so more experiments are needed.
Again - thanks for your detailed reply, much appreciated.
ingvarai

Hi ingvari,

Draw a shape over the whole frame, or a smaller area if there are parts of the car visible or other foreground objects that don’t have the motion you want to track. If you are only going to be stabilising x, y and rotation, then you can deselect shear and perspective on the track tab.

Now track your shot. As you won’t have the usual feedback of the layer changing shape to show you if the track’s gone bad, you should turn on the surface or grid and keep an eye on that.

This should give you a single layer that has all the data you need for the stabilisation.

There is one problem with this approach you might run into. After Effects has a limit of around 65,000 pixels for the x, y translation keyframes. So if your shot is long enough, or the motion fast enough, you might find that this value is exceeded. You’ll know if you try to import the data into AE and it complains about invalid keyframe data.

To get around this limitation, split the track into two or more sections. The easy way to do this is to do the full track in one layer, then duplicate that layer the number of times you need (right-click in the layer list, then choose Duplicate Layer. Set the layer in-out points so that they don’t overlap. Now on the first layer, go to the first frame and hit align surface. On the second layer, go to its in-point and align surface again.

You’ll need to export each layer individually, there’s no way to do that as a group, then recombine the data in After Effects. I’m no AE expert so maybe someone else can chime in with the best way to do that.

Hope this helps,

J-P

Hi ingvari,
Draw a shape over the whole frame, or a smaller area if there are parts of the car visible or other foreground objects that don’t have the motion you want to track. If you are only going to be stabilising x, y and rotation, then you can deselect shear and perspective on the track tab.
Now track your shot. As you won’t have the usual feedback of the layer changing shape to show you if the track’s gone bad, you should turn on the surface or grid and keep an eye on that.
This should give you a single layer that has all the data you need for the stabilisation.
There is one problem with this approach you might run into. After Effects has a limit of around 65,000 pixels for the x, y translation keyframes. So if your shot is long enough, or the motion fast enough, you might find that this value is exceeded. You’ll know if you try to import the data into AE and it complains about invalid keyframe data.
To get around this limitation, split the track into two or more sections. The easy way to do this is to do the full track in one layer, then duplicate that layer the number of times you need (right-click in the layer list, then choose Duplicate Layer. Set the layer in-out points so that they don’t overlap. Now on the first layer, go to the first frame and hit align surface. On the second layer, go to its in-point and align surface again.
You’ll need to export each layer individually, there’s no way to do that as a group, then recombine the data in After Effects. I’m no AE expert so maybe someone else can chime in with the best way to do that.
Hope this helps,
J-P

If your stabiisation is going way off due to a long pan, you can link your stabilised footage to a null and reapply the tracking data onto the parent. This will essentially reverse your stabilisation, but then you can smooth the keys with the smoother tool in the parent null to achieve the desired amount of stabilisation without the rotation occurring.

If your stabiisation is going way off due to a long pan, you can link your stabilised footage to a null and reapply the tracking data onto the parent. This will essentially reverse your stabilisation, but then you can smooth the keys with the smoother tool in the parent null to achieve the desired amount of stabilisation without the rotation occurring.