Shape data export to AE error

I’m new to mocha and am having problems with the shape data export from mocha to AE.
I create a track layer for a rough track. Then I create a new layer with the roto shape and link the layer to the rough track layer. Then I select the roto layer and click “export shape data” to clipboard. Then I go to AE and paste onto the video file. It pastes, but there’s two things I notice: 1. The opacity of the shape data is 0%, not 100%. And 2. there’s no keyframes on the roto shape. When I play the clip the roto is there but it’s not animated.
I’ve tried this a few times with different footage and even on different machines at school but I get the same error, so it must be user error. However, I just don’t know what I’m doing wrong. :confused: Please help! I’ve attached a screen shot if it helps.
I’m using AE CS5 on a Mac Pro running Snow Leopard.

guys, Im facing the same problem.

did the roto in mocha and the shape pasted in is note animated.

tried to do all the thing that you mentioned here but nothing seems to work.

any light out there?

guys, Im facing the same problem.
did the roto in mocha and the shape pasted in is note animated.
tried to do all the thing that you mentioned here but nothing seems to work.
any light out there?

I selected the frame range in AE but did not trimmed the comp.
I opened the same clip with Mocha and did the same, selected the frame range and started the roto within the first frame of this range. Both clips have the same “in” and “out”.
Is this correct?
Im using mocha for CS5.5 and pasting in AE CS6, could this be the problem?
Thx!
Filipe.

I selected the frame range in AE but did not trimmed the comp.

I opened the same clip with Mocha and did the same, selected the frame range and started the roto within the first frame of this range. Both clips have the same “in” and “out”.

Is this correct?

Im using mocha for CS5.5 and pasting in AE CS6, could this be the problem?

Thx!

Filipe.

Hey guys,
I encounterd the same problem.
Mocha is pasting the keyframes absolutley not in relation to you AE composition.

Just look at your mask path -> the clock should be active.
Select the value -> all your keyframes are selected, even if they are way out of the range of your comp

press cmd+x/ctrl+X (mac/win)
go to frame one of your comp and paste the keyframes

= Everybody’s happy

Cheers

If you only need tracking on some frames, then no, you shouldn’t need to track them all. Keep in mind however that the tracking shape will interpolate between points, so if you track in one part of the timeline then move to another part you may get drift which will need to be corrected in the roto. The shapes contain the tracking data plus any manual keyframes, so they will be collapsed regardless of whether there is track data or not.

You can safely track at any point in the timeline and then paste at frame 1. Mocha will still create the keyframes when you export the data, but they will be static. You can test this by tracking a few frames in the middle of your footage and exporting to AE. If you press U on your layer you will see the tracking keys extend for the length of the clip and the manual keyframes are above that.
This means you will need to crop your layer before and after where the masking occurs, as there will be a static shape up until the tracking and hand keyed animation occurs. Alternatively, for the frames where there is no roto required, move them out of shot entirely.
Keep in mind too that the point between the tracked frames will interpolate for that one layer, so you need to compensate for that.
The other option is to restrict your clip to just those frames in mocha.
If you want to send me the clip via vimeo with a password I can download it and take a look.
martinb[at]imagineersystems.com

Which version of mocha and After Effects are you using?

There was an issue a while back for Bezier splines not behaving well with paste mocha mask. If you just simple paste (ctrl/CMD+V) to use the shape effect instead, do you get the same problem?

To be clear, a Bezier spline is not a B-spline. B-Splines are similar to X-splines without the handle control.

There was an issue a while back for Bezier splines not behaving well with paste mocha mask. If you just simple paste (ctrl/CMD+V) to use the shape effect instead, do you get the same problem?
To be clear, a Bezier spline is not a B-spline. B-Splines are similar to X-splines without the handle control.

Hmm. interesting. Are you pasting the tracking data in at frame 1?
Cheers,
Mary

Are you pasting directly onto the layer or are you using edit>paste mocha mask?
In AE CS5.5 and CS5 you can paste the mocha mask in as a spline. In AE CS4, CS5, and CS5.5 you can use mocha shapes as an effect on the layer, but not as splines. The effect is what pastes in by default. If you need a spline, you must use edit>paste mocha mask.
Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.
Cheers,
Mary

You might need to download the shape plug-in and re-install it. It sounds like there’s some sort of plug-in issue going on there, is my guess.
You can download the mocha shape plug-in for OSX here: http://www.imagineersystems.com/single-download-view?filename=MochaShapePlugin-1.0.2-194.dmg
Just install it into your After Effects plug-in folder, and restart your machine, and try again.
Cheers,
Mary

That would be ideal, or I can have a skype meeting with you and you can screen share. You can email me to work out skype details if you don’t want to make a screen recording.
Cheers,
Mary

Hmm, interesting.
Can you make sure the version of mocha you are using is not running in Learning Edition (LE) mode and is a licensed version of mocha?
Cheers,
Mary

The workaround is dragging or cutting and pasting the keyframes to the first frame that mocha is tracking if they don’t line up properly in the automated process.
But be sure your frame rates match.

The workaround is dragging or cutting and pasting the keyframes to the first frame that mocha is tracking if they don’t line up properly in the automated process.

But be sure your frame rates match.

Can you confirm that you are pasting in on the first frame on your clip? This usually happens when you paste the frame outside of the clip range in your compositing software.

Can you confirm that you are pasting in on the first frame on your clip? This usually happens when you paste the frame outside of the clip range in your compositing software.