Shape data export to AE error

Hi There,
No, frame one of the clip in AE and frame one in mocha need to line up, mocha will not respect your clipping when you paste the data into AE. In mocha, the program assumes the clips are 1 to 1 and that the edit has already been done. So if you had not trimmed your clip in AE, mocha would line up with the same clip, but since you have trimmed, you will need to paste in on what would have been the first frame of the clip.
To make this process easier, I recommend using the mocha import script from mamo world, it will save you the lineup issues it sounds like you are having. MochaImport+ V6 - aescripts + aeplugins - aescripts.com
Cheers,
Mary

Hi There,

No, frame one of the clip in AE and frame one in mocha need to line up, mocha will not respect your clipping when you paste the data into AE. In mocha, the program assumes the clips are 1 to 1 and that the edit has already been done. So if you had not trimmed your clip in AE, mocha would line up with the same clip, but since you have trimmed, you will need to paste in on what would have been the first frame of the clip.

To make this process easier, I recommend using the mocha import script from mamo world, it will save you the lineup issues it sounds like you are having. MochaImport+ V6 - aescripts + aeplugins - aescripts.com

Cheers,
Mary

I’m having the same problem.

Using AE CS6, I’ve dragged my 2 minute source footage to a new comp. I’ve get the work area set to the 10 second segment I want to track. I then go to Compostion>Trim to Work Area. So my comp is exactly the length of the shot I want to track.

I then go to Animation>Track in Mocha AE (which is a required command now in CS6, I can’t launch mocha by itself)

Mocha has automatically set the in/out points based on my work area (10 seconds). But it’s still showing the entire length of my source footage (2 minutes). So after making a rotoshape in Mocha, and copying and pasting it onto a layer back in AE, it’s not respecting my current in/out points.

Mocha is still expecting me to paste my shape layer at frame 0 of that layer. (Which is now hidden because I have shortened the comp length with the Trim to Work Area command). I had to lengthen my comp back to original, reset the in/out points of that layer. Paste the shape data at frame 0. Then re-trim to work area.

And that seems like a lot of work for something that should be a little more automated.

So it seems that Mocha needs to give me the option of copying shape data based on the beginning of my custom in-point or the in-point of the entire source footage. What do you think?

I’m having the same problem.
Using AE CS6, I’ve dragged my 2 minute source footage to a new comp. I’ve get the work area set to the 10 second segment I want to track. I then go to Compostion>Trim to Work Area. So my comp is exactly the length of the shot I want to track.
I then go to Animation>Track in Mocha AE (which is a required command now in CS6, I can’t launch mocha by itself)
Mocha has automatically set the in/out points based on my work area (10 seconds). But it’s still showing the entire length of my source footage (2 minutes). So after making a rotoshape in Mocha, and copying and pasting it onto a layer back in AE, it’s not respecting my current in/out points.
Mocha is still expecting me to paste my shape layer at frame 0 of that layer. (Which is now hidden because I have shortened the comp length with the Trim to Work Area command). I had to lengthen my comp back to original, reset the in/out points of that layer. Paste the shape data at frame 0. Then re-trim to work area.
And that seems like a lot of work for something that should be a little more automated.
So it seems that Mocha needs to give me the option of copying shape data based on the beginning of my custom in-point or the in-point of the entire source footage. What do you think?

In mocha I narrow down the clip to a range of frames that start at frame 300 to frame 350 or so because the first 299 frames are not of interest for rotoscoping. The clip in AE starts at the same frame 300. When I paste the shape data into AE I paste it starting at frame 300.
Does it have to be literally at frame 1 in mocha and AE? If so, then the clip to be tracked and rotoscoped have to have the exact # of frames to be usable?
I am currently unable to access my computer and the software so I can’t go back and check my actions in mocha until Thursday or Friday.

I am pasting directly into the layer. I also tried to do edit>paste mocha mask, which does different things, but in both cases the mask shape was there but no keyframes. So when I play the clip the roto cutout stays and doesn’t move with the object.
Just fyi, the “export tracking data” and pasting corner pin data works totally fine. It’s just the shape data function.

I’ll try it on Monday when I get back to the computer labs. Thanks.

I put the plugin into the appropriate folder and restarted and it still didn’t work. Perhaps I’m doing something wrong? I’ve attached an image of the folder with the plugins. The highlighted plugin is the one I downloaded. Do I need to delete the plugin I had before (it’s the one directly above the highlighted one called “mocha shape for After Effects.plugin”)? And then restart and try again?
Fyi, I downloaded a learning edition of mocha (not AE, not Pro) and tried to do the shape data export. That didn’t work either. I was able to export tracking data and export a PNG matte sequence. It’s just the shape data export (using copy to clipboard) that doesn’t do anything.

The LE mocha I downloaded was just to test if I got the same errors as when I use mocha for After Effects. I did this to see if it’s user error or something else. I don’t use this version of mocha for my work. It was just to see if the errors pop up in a different version of mocha.
What I really use (and get the errors on) is a fully licensed version of Adobe After Effects CS5 with the bundled mocha for After Effects version 2.2.1
What I may do later this week is record a video of my screen showing exactly what I am doing to get the errors.

Thank you. I need to find my skype info and test out how to do screen share since I’ve never done it before. Will email you tomorrow or Wednesday. If scheduling gets too complicated I may just make a video; why not, since I do video editing? :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s a link to a quick video of the error I get. If this isn’t enough info then we can skype later this week.
http://vimeo.com/31394689

Tried to see if starting all the clips at frame 1 did anything. From the larger clip I exported only the frames I was actually going to use roto and started over again. This was only 18 frames so I could start everything at frame 1, instead of going to frame 300. This time it worked! So it was user error.
However, I’m not 100% sure how to do this in a larger clip if there’s several parts that use tracking while other parts don’t. The workflow for this is not clear yet.
My question is: If my clip is 300 frames, for example, and the roto parts are only on frame 100-130 and at 200-230, do I have to track all 300 frames even if there’s no movement in the rest of the frames? Then paste that shape data for all 300 frames starting at frame 1?
Thanks for your help, Mary! I hope to get this mocha workflow down soon so I can use it on a real project! :cool:

I think I understand what you’re trying to say, but I’m not sure if I can figure out how it applies to the situation I mentioned about having two areas in one clip to roto. The thing that I stumps me is this:
I have one 300-frame clip with two areas that need roto, frames 100-130 and at frames 200-230. Since I need to paste shape data at frame 1, this must mean that I need to track all 300 frames and paste that into my AE layer at frame 1. If I tried to do start the tracking at frame 100 and not track frames 1-99, it will mess up the shape data because I need to start tracking at frame 1, not frame 100, because I must paste shape data starting at frame 1.
This is more of a conceptual question since this is what I’m thinking after having just learned the hard way that I need to start everything at frame 1. When I get back to my test footage I will try this theory out.

I am having the exact same issue and was very happy when I came across this thread…but it has no ending!!! Were you able to figure out the issue and what was the fix/work-around?

I am having the exact same issue and was very happy when I came across this thread…but it has no ending!!! Were you able to figure out the issue and what was the fix/work-around?

Howdy,

I hope I am not to late to jump in on this topic with my own problem. I am experiencing a weird problem when I am using the paste mocha mask plugin in AE. I follow the steps needed to use Mocha Mask from Mocha to AE, and it works fine when I use the X-spline. but when I use a B-spline it goes all wonky on my import. Meaning the first frame lines up nicely but every mask point after goes in it’s own direction.

I was wondering if I am missing a step or if it’s not possible to use B-spline with the Mocha mask import option?

Thank you for your time.

Howdy,
I hope I am not to late to jump in on this topic with my own problem. I am experiencing a weird problem when I am using the paste mocha mask plugin in AE. I follow the steps needed to use Mocha Mask from Mocha to AE, and it works fine when I use the X-spline. but when I use a B-spline it goes all wonky on my import. Meaning the first frame lines up nicely but every mask point after goes in it’s own direction.
I was wondering if I am missing a step or if it’s not possible to use B-spline with the Mocha mask import option?
Thank you for your time.

—Quote (Originally by martinb)—
Which version of mocha and After Effects are you using?
—End Quote—
Whoops! I’m sorry for not including that information. I am using Mocha Pro v3 and AE CS5.