Shear/Perspective?

Can someone explain what the Shear and Perspective options do for motion tracking? Thanks.

Sorry about the joke implication. I guess I was wrong. The video you posted is quite helpful in explaining. Thanks a million!!

Can someone explain what the Shear and Perspective options do for motion tracking? Thanks.

Don’t understand what that means. You’d have to explain it in a simpler way.

Don’t understand what that means. You’d have to explain it in a simpler way.

Is this a joke? I asked simpler and you throw in a ten dollar word.
Explain what you mean by object. They are tracking options, so I don’t know which object comes into play.

Is this a joke? I asked simpler and you throw in a ten dollar word.

Explain what you mean by object. They are tracking options, so I don’t know which object comes into play.

Sorry about the joke implication. I guess I was wrong. The video you posted is quite helpful in explaining. Thanks a million!!

Shear Vs. Perspectve (- YouTube)

No joke at all. A parallelogram is a basic bit of geometry like a circle or a triangle, I thought you would understand it. I am not trying to be confusing, I am trying to be helpful.

When I say object I mean the object or surface you are tracking by drawing splines around it, there is also a surface tool in mocha and a grid you can use to align to the area you are tracking to make sure your track is lining up properly.

I have included a video to visually explain how the surface you are trying to track is warping and when to check those options on.

In this video, the surface is a simple grid to show you how the object (the surface you are tracking) would be warping in a 3D space. When the surface is shearing as it is in this video, you check shear on but leave perspective off. When it is moving like the example in perspective, you would check perspective on. When the surface is doing none of these things, we recommend that you leave them both turned off.

Shear Vs. Perspectve (- YouTube)
No joke at all. A parallelogram is a basic bit of geometry like a circle or a triangle, I thought you would understand it. I am not trying to be confusing, I am trying to be helpful.
When I say object I mean the object or surface you are tracking by drawing splines around it, there is also a surface tool in mocha and a grid you can use to align to the area you are tracking to make sure your track is lining up properly.
I have included a video to visually explain how the surface you are trying to track is warping and when to check those options on.
In this video, the surface is a simple grid to show you how the object (the surface you are tracking) would be warping in a 3D space. When the surface is shearing as it is in this video, you check shear on but leave perspective off. When it is moving like the example in perspective, you would check perspective on. When the surface is doing none of these things, we recommend that you leave them both turned off.

Martin is working on better documentation for us right now on the matter, but to answer your question:
“Shear is how the object is skewing relative to the camera.
Perspective is how the object is moving in perspective relative to the camera.
The main difference between shear and perspective is the relative motion. Shear is defined as the object warping in only two corners, whereas perspective is most often needed where the object is rotating away from the viewer significantly in space.”
Cheers,
Mary

Martin is working on better documentation for us right now on the matter, but to answer your question:

"Shear is how the object is skewing relative to the camera.
Perspective is how the object is moving in perspective relative to the camera.

The main difference between shear and perspective is the relative motion. Shear is defined as the object warping in only two corners, whereas perspective is most often needed where the object is rotating away from the viewer significantly in space."

Cheers,
Mary

Shear is a square surface skewing and making a more tilted parallelogram.
Perspective is literally moving along linear perspective.

Shear is a square surface skewing and making a more tilted parallelogram.

Perspective is literally moving along linear perspective.