Silhouette Clone Tool Behavior vs Nuke

Hi Silhouette team,

A common question I get asked especially from Juniors is when learning Silhouette, why does Silhouette’s clone tool behavior work in the ‘opposite’ way to how Nuke’s rotopaint clone tool works.

Two things are brought up:

1. The actual keybinds themselves Ctrl (to adjust brush size) & Shift (to select source area to clone from) are reversed compared to Nuke. Of course this is easily customisable with a couple python lines.

2. The second is to do with the actual behavior of the clone tool in terms of when you hold Shift in Silhouette to select the source area the destination clone resets to this area too. Whereas in Nuke holding the equivalent keybind (Ctrl) keeps the source brush where it is and you move the destination brush around.
    Now I’ve had many disputes in the past with peers as to which clone behavior is better haha.
    But what I have found is majority of junior vfx artists starting in the industry get used to one or the other first, generally it is Nuke a lot of the time, and therefore painting in Silhouette becomes ‘backwards’ to them.

Is there a way we can bring both together and share the same clone tool behavior through a preference option perhaps? Let me know any thoughts!

Cheers
Josh

Josh - try the preference Paint->Clone->Incremental Offset

But to answer your question on the “why” - I wrote a paint system back in 1993 called No Strings Attached. It only worked on SGI machines. Having never even heard of Photoshop at the time, that control scheme is just the way I did it, because it made sense to me. SHIFT to shift the clone offset. Control to control the brush size.
Naturally, 11 years later when I was writing the paint system in Silhouette, I chose the same control scheme. This was before Nuke was available commercially.
But, as you’ve noticed, there is a way to switch the modifiers (using some simple script bindings), for those who want it that way!
:wink:

3 Likes

Well you learn something every day. Thank you Paul, very good to know :grinning:

@paul.miller I’d love to see a demo of No Strings Attached if you could find one of those SGI relics - throwback webinar. How painting used to be and how it is now. :joy: