Silhouette Overscan Work?

Hey,

So back with Silhouette v5 what I used to do if I wanted to paint outside the plate format in Silhouette was to increase the width/height values by say 500 pixels when creating a new session which would create empty black space around the sourceplate to work in.

Something that has popped up and I’ve tested this on both Silhouette 7 & Silhouette 2020 is the ability to do that seems to have dissapeared? I don’t see any extra space anymore. Is there a specific reason for that or a new workflow, can you do something similar with the DOD node in v2020 perhaps?

Thanks,
Josh

@joshbarham When I want to create an oversized clean plate, I put a DOD node after the Source node, and adjust the boundaries to the desired dimensions by either pulling out the green borders or editing the fields in the node parameters. I make sure I have the Display options open on top of the viewer, and click the ROI icon. Then I click the button to the left of ROI in the Display area and “Set ROI to DOD”. Then I have extra area to paint. Is this what you were thinking of?

@joshbarham

1 Like

That’s exactly what I was after. Thanks both.

The only issue now being what if you’re on Silhouette 7 and have no DOD node available. Any workarounds to get an oversize plate in the same way how it worked in Silhouette 5?

For some reason in 7 it does show the extra size around the plate but just as an black outline, not a black area to paint in weirdly…

Yes, it is a little ugly, but it works.

• Create a larger session than your source
  • If your source does not have an opaque alpha channel, select the source in the Trees window and set the Alpha > Fill parameter to Opaque.
  • Composite the source over a Color node set to black
  • Add the Paint node.

You can now paint outside the original area of the source.

Ah that is rather handy, thanks Marco that works a treat!

Also is there a very specific reason why the Colour node is not in the color category aha

The Color group is reserved for color correction, while the image generators (including Color) are in the Image group.

1 Like

Makes sense. Thanks Marco for the tips as always :muscle: