Silhouette Paint - Mocha Track Exclusion Mask do not work

Hi everybody! I tra to make a Mocha Track and do every step like in the Documentation. But The Tracker doesn´t see the second, above lying, substract on - mask. Any Udea how to solve this Problem?

Welcome @tobiundtron Can you tell me which tracker you are using?

Is the shape that is set to subtract in the layer to be tracked or above the layer to be tracked?

I use the Mocha Tracker. And - yes - the shape is on substract. Both shape track perfectly alone. But together it does not work.

I tested on my machine and it is working as expected.

Is the subtract shape inside or outside of the layer you are tracking?

inside for shure

Exclusion shapes are working for me whether inside the layer or outside the layer. Check the instructions again in the user guide to make sure you are following them exactly. If you still have an issue, can you post a video of what you are doing?

I am in the same boat here. I have used this method for Mocha for years and absolutely cannot get it to function properly in paint. I’ve gone over the manual a 100 times and nothing I try works.

I have a blemish to remove on someone’s neck. Her hand passes over her neck .

I put an x-spline on the blemish. I put that x-spline in a layer. It is set to add (the default).
I put an x-spline on the hand and hand-animate that roto as the hand passes over.
I put that shape (and have also tried it in a layer) ABOVE the blemish spline. I set it’s blend mode to subtract.

I select the shape to track, I ctrl+click select the subtractive shape (which, again, is at the top of the layer order). I track and it doesn’t work.

I’ve sat here for 30 minutes trying everything I can think of and it simply does. not. work.

1 Like

@zprichard I am not sure why you are experiencing an issue with this. I have double-checked excluding areas while planar tracking and it is working as described.

Here’s what my result looks like when using a single shape. The woman’s are moved into view and interferes with the track. This is using Layer 1.

If I use Layer 2 with a subtract layer called Arm above the layer and set it to subtract, I get the following result. Note I selected Layer 2 and then Ctrl (Win) or Cmd(Mac)-selected the Arm shape prior to tracking.

If you are still experiencing an issue, please file a support issue here: https://borisfx.com/support/open-a-case/ and we can do a remote session to determine what the problem is. Thanks!

Thanks @Marco! I PM’d you some loom videos of me working on the shot so you can see what I’m doing wrong or right!

Posting here for posterity’s sake.

Talked to @marco who was a HUGE help, and it turns out that my main issue was I wasn’t paying attention to the pre-processing of the image before doing the track. Not doing that at first led me down several other paths where I ended up doing other things wrong (in an effort to try anything), but going back and really tweaking the pre-processing solved my problem and the track is working as it should!

Thanks a ton!

Can you elaborate?

Yeah sure! So, when you’re in the tracker panel (for whichever tracker you have selected), you’ll have some color/image adjustment settings. Sharpness, contrast, gamma, etc. Those kind of things. You can do it for luminance as a whole or selected color channels.

Mocha Pro natively kinda does this on its own, but does not do it when within Silhouette Paint. So if you aren’t getting a track but are certain you’re doing it right… try adjusting those settings (and don’t forget about the preview button to see the changes!).

My shot was a vampire wound on the neck of someone in the bathtub. Lowlit scene, candles, etc. I needed to paint out the seam of the prosthetic. However the mocha tracker, in that low light and on an otherwise featureless neck… wasn’t quite sticking like I though it should. So I bumped up the gamma, sharpness and contrast to get a much stronger track.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like