Simple but complicated, or not. LARGE POST HERE>

So,
I have a wall to track. The wall has quite an angle and the camera is panning and zooming. I tracked it with perspective on and off. And as most of my tracking with perspective on the tracking look magnificent. But without perspective, it drifts, and as we know this is normal, because you can’t track perspective shots without perspective on and this is not so bad if you know the shot.
But,
I have this HUGE problem. I need to let say animate something on the wall. And I track it with perspective on, reposition my surface on the wall and then export the corner pin data to after effects. Let’s say I add some animation on the layer of the corner pin and as normal it stays there. But let us say we want to reposition the layer to another place on the same wall and the continue animating from there. The most normal thing to do it is to go to the composition where the corner pin is added, and inside, reposition the layer/animation. But. As we know if we move the layer outside of the boundaries of the composition the corner pin will cut it in the final shot.
So, the best thing to do is to go back to Mocha, reposition the layer to cover as much as wall as it can ( probably the whole shot ) so when you export the tracking data to after effects, the whole wall will be covered and you can do what you want inside your layer.
Here is my problem.
The only reasonable way I know to reposition the layer which you want to add to the wall is with transformation data and with Red Giant Warp plug-in. But when tracked with transformation data only, the track is not so accurate because of the perspective and when I add the tracking data on to my null and then parent the layer to it, it is not so great. The only way a managed to do it is with Red Giant Warp plug in, because it can reposition, scale and etc. to the corner pin and the layer with continue to stay from the new position. So hallelujah !!!
But it’s not over. THE MAIN Question is here.
Is there any other method of repositioning the layer when it’s corner pined, or track the shot without perspective and adjust the track to perfect level and then export out the transformation data to After effects. The reason I asked this is because it’s so easier with transformation data to animate the layer and also I can use the original video of the wall as a reference to where I need to animate the layer, while in Corner Pin you must do it in separate composition and only guess where will be in the original shot. I also tried with mocha import script using the stabilization, but the problem is, the pan is long and the stabilization loses it.
Thank you all in front. :slight_smile:

In situations like this, it may be easier to do it as a pre-composition. The downside to this is if you’re specifically animating it over a large movement it may be hard to get looking right before you apply the corner pin data to the composition.
To do a corner pin with pre-comp:

1. Set up your layer manually in the scene how you would like it look on a particular frame.
  2. Precomp the layer
  3. Go to that frame in mocha and click the “Align Surface” button.
  4. Export your corner pin and paste at the beginning of the AE timeline
    What you should end up with is a projected corner pin, so you can still animate your layer in the precomp but get the correct perspective in the main comp.

In situations like this, it may be easier to do it as a pre-composition. The downside to this is if you’re specifically animating it over a large movement it may be hard to get looking right before you apply the corner pin data to the composition.

1. Set up your layer manually in the scene how you would like it look on a particular frame.
  2. Precomp the layer

What you should end up with is a projected corner pin, so you can still animate your layer in the precomp but get the correct perspective in the main comp.

So,

I have a wall to track. The wall has quite an angle and the camera is panning and zooming. I tracked it with perspective on and off. And as most of my tracking with perspective on the tracking look magnificent. But without perspective, it drifts, and as we know this is normal, because you can’t track perspective shots without perspective on and this is not so bad if you know the shot.

But,

I have this HUGE problem. I need to let say animate something on the wall. And I track it with perspective on, reposition my surface on the wall and then export the corner pin data to after effects. Let’s say I add some animation on the layer of the corner pin and as normal it stays there. But let us say we want to reposition the layer to another place on the same wall and the continue animating from there. The most normal thing to do it is to go to the composition where the corner pin is added, and inside, reposition the layer/animation. But. As we know if we move the layer outside of the boundaries of the composition the corner pin will cut it in the final shot.

So, the best thing to do is to go back to Mocha, reposition the layer to cover as much as wall as it can ( probably the whole shot ) so when you export the tracking data to after effects, the whole wall will be covered and you can do what you want inside your layer.

Here is my problem.

The only reasonable way I know to reposition the layer which you want to add to the wall is with transformation data and with Red Giant Warp plug-in. But when tracked with transformation data only, the track is not so accurate because of the perspective and when I add the tracking data on to my null and then parent the layer to it, it is not so great. The only way a managed to do it is with Red Giant Warp plug in, because it can reposition, scale and etc. to the corner pin and the layer with continue to stay from the new position. So hallelujah !!!

But it’s not over. THE MAIN Question is here.

Is there any other method of repositioning the layer when it’s corner pined, or track the shot without perspective and adjust the track to perfect level and then export out the transformation data to After effects. The reason I asked this is because it’s so easier with transformation data to animate the layer and also I can use the original video of the wall as a reference to where I need to animate the layer, while in Corner Pin you must do it in separate composition and only guess where will be in the original shot. I also tried with mocha import script using the stabilization, but the problem is, the pan is long and the stabilization loses it.

Thank you all in front. :slight_smile:

—Quote (Originally by martinb)—

2. Precomp the layer
    —End Quote—
    I’m aware of the align to surface technique. But as you mentioned, when you want to make a animation over a large movement (like mine :smiley: ), it gets difficult BUT that doesn’t mean that it can’t be done.
    In my shot, the surface that I tracked is very long and I had to animate everything in my precomp (at the frame that was aligned and the correct perspective in the main comp so it sticks).
    But if I want to move the animation in the precomp from one place to another in the tracked footage in the main comp, it gets tricky, beacuse you don’t know where will exactly move unless you correct it in the precomp all the way and finally set up the correct keyframes of the animation (let’s say the tracked footage it’s a large wall and I want the animation in the precomp to move from one brick to another on the wall).
    Like I said, it’s difficult but it can be done. I tried with placing the surface in mocha along the whole wall out of the boundaries of the shot, and then animate everything in the precomp . But the corner pined precomp can’t support that large layers . The only way that I know that can be made more easier it’s with Red Giant Plugin (I’m not advertising or anything). :o
    I’m know that this is more a thread for after effects forum then for Mocha.
    I was more looking for a tip or a technique that I’m not aware or missed maybe to do it in a different way, and not use third party plugin. At the end, Mocha does what is meant for, and doing it like none other software that I’m aware. :slight_smile:
    Thank you so much.

—Quote (Originally by martinb)—

2. Precomp the layer

—End Quote—
I’m aware of the align to surface technique. But as you mentioned, when you want to make a animation over a large movement (like mine :smiley: ), it gets difficult BUT that doesn’t mean that it can’t be done.

In my shot, the surface that I tracked is very long and I had to animate everything in my precomp (at the frame that was aligned and the correct perspective in the main comp so it sticks).

But if I want to move the animation in the precomp from one place to another in the tracked footage in the main comp, it gets tricky, beacuse you don’t know where will exactly move unless you correct it in the precomp all the way and finally set up the correct keyframes of the animation (let’s say the tracked footage it’s a large wall and I want the animation in the precomp to move from one brick to another on the wall).

Like I said, it’s difficult but it can be done. I tried with placing the surface in mocha along the whole wall out of the boundaries of the shot, and then animate everything in the precomp . But the corner pined precomp can’t support that large layers . The only way that I know that can be made more easier it’s with Red Giant Plugin (I’m not advertising or anything). :o

I’m know that this is more a thread for after effects forum then for Mocha.
I was more looking for a tip or a technique that I’m not aware or missed maybe to do it in a different way, and not use third party plugin. At the end, Mocha does what is meant for, and doing it like none other software that I’m aware. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much.