Smart Objects

Hello, I am using the Optics trial version in PS Elements 2020. It’s working well, however when loading a smart object image into Opics, I get an error message saying the image must be simplified which defeats the purpose of future changes. Is there any work around?
Thanks

Photoshop Elements requires that Smart Object layers be simplified before a filter can be applied to them. You need the full version of Photoshop to not have this restriction.

Thank you Boris, that’s what I was wondering…decision time!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

TLROBERTSON

Excuse me, thank you Marco… not Boris!!!:clap:t5::clap:t5::laughing:

TLROBERTSON

One more question Marco is Photoshop CS6 too old use with Optics?
Thanks in advance!:blush:

TLROBERTSON

Assuming you are running Windows, Photoshop CS6 is not officially supported, but it should work if you do the following:
Copy C:\Program Files\BorisFX\Optics to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS6\Plug-Ins

Thanks Marco, I was just now looking at Adobe Photoshop Subscription prices, and what’s crazy is you can get Photoshop and Light Room for 9.99 a month, but Photoshop alone for 20.00 per month, what’s up with that??:man_shrugging:t5::laughing::laughing:
I am going to give your suggestion with the CS6 a try, if that doesn’t work I will probably get the 9.99 PS/LR, because I want your Optics program, running to full capacity that bad and I just stumbled across it yesterday!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:
By the way I told Neal how helpful you had been and got back with me so quickly, he said yeah you were a great guy with a lot of knowledge. I told him and I am telling you I appreciate you both!!!:facepunch:t5::clap:t5::blush:

TLROBERTSON

Thanks Thomas.

Yeah, Thomas… re: Adobe subscription pricing.

From a Long Time User of both PS and LR I will tell you that to stay ‘up to date’ with both applications in the past – before they introduced the subscription model now in place, every 18 months Adobe making an upgrade to enough elements built into each application and adding new, helpful features I would end up paying AT LEAST $300 for those new versions. So do the math. That was easily (US)$16+ “per month” to keep up-to-date with both apps at that time.

$10/month is a screamin’ deal when you consider all both apps can do for you (as you dig deeper into their features and capabilities for editing AND managing your image assets)!

Then running Optics on a Smart Object there is simple as first choosing to make your layer a S.O. then dropping down to Optics from the Filters menu to begin your work. :wink:

Gm Mike and thanks for your info. I checked further into the Adobe PS/LR subscription for 9.99 and it is LR 5 and PS CC2014, more than enough for me I’m sure! I checked out your entire website and love your work, especially “The Skunkworks” gallery!!!:laughing::laughing: I am a traditional artist, now combining digital art, for new ideas and compositing which you are great at!!
Regarding my smart object question regarding Ps Elements 2020 and Optics, I had been trying what you suggested, but once an image is turned into a smart object in Elements, Optics won’t accept it unless it is simplified, thus my considering a PS subscription. Marco at Boris previously advised that the smart option wasn’t available with elements.

@thomas.robertson7 Unlike Photoshop, Photoshop Elements requires that Smart Object layers be simplified before a filter can be applied to them. You need the full version of Photoshop to not have this restriction.