Some advice if I were to upgrade

I’ve been using Avid Media Composer 6 and Boris Red for many years. I’m just a (serious) hobbyist home movie editor.
If I were to take the step of upgrading to the current Avid MC, which Boris package would approximate and improve upon what I’ve been accustomed to in Boris Red for Titling, Masking, Paint etc.?
Thank you.

Hi Alan,

Thank you for being such a long time customer.

The Boris RED product has been out of development for several years at this stage and was replaced with Boris Continuum and for titling that’s the Continuum Title Studio filter, which includes the same titling tools that were in RED with a similar UI but it’s way faster and more feature rich. You can even import textured 3D models from C4D!

Not everything that was in RED has a match in Continuum but most of the tools are there and work faster. The main missing piece that you listed as one of the tools that you use is paint but for that we have the standalone paint and roto product, Boris Silhouette. We also have Boris Mocha for roto masking, planar tracking, insert and removes, stabilization etc.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Peter.

Hello,Can FEC of Boris Red be found in Continuum?

Hi Peter,
thank you for your thank you, and for your reply.
Yes I’d be interested in a cross grade to Continuum. I’ve received an email from Neal Berkowitz also, and he’s quoted me a crossgrade price in which I’m interested.
At the moment I’m familiarising with a trial version of Media Composer and I’ll let Neal know when I’m ready to purchase.
Thank you again,

Cheers,

Alan

@ SummaryActivityNot

The FEC product was discontinued several years back but some of the technology and a few of the transitions have been migrated over to Continuum. For instance, the Vector Blur is used in the Continuum BCC Vector Blur transition. Are there any filters or transitions in particular from the FEC set that you are curious about?

@alan.carroll

Thanks for letting me know Alan and good luck with your decision. Continuum is a superb and comprehensive suite of filters that I’m sure you’ll enjoy working with.

Cheers,
Peter.

Of course, I think continuum can’t replace the position of FEC, like 3D Ball Action, Bend It, Bender, blobbylize, Bubble, Burn Edge, Drizzle, Flo Motion, Glass, Gradient Blur, Hair, Lens, MinMax, Mercury, Smear, etc.
By the way, is there any temporary method to resolve frame-flip and color-changing in VEGAS Pro 18?
Thanks.

Great list - thanks for sending that along.

Of these, I think only Lens and Burn Edge have been moved into Continuum. I’ll add the other filters from your list to a customer request log in our feature development database.

Could you describe the frame flip and color changing that you’re seeing in Vegas Pro 18? Maybe a screen recording?

Thanks,
Peter.

Thanks Peter, and thanks for the links.

There is something you may be able to help me with. I’ll spare you the lengthy details as to why I ask this question, but, rather than purchase the Continuum pack that Neal has suggested, would I be better off with the Suite that comes with Vegas Pro 18?
Boris FX Particle Illusion standalone
Boris FX Continuum 2020 Film Style Unit
Boris FX Continuum Particles Unit
Boris FX Continuum Image Restoration Unit

Could Avid Media Composer use these plugins if it resides on the same machine?

Thank you,

Alan.

Well the filters that are packaged for Vegas 18 are specific to that host - you won’t be able to run them in Avid even though both hosts are on the same system because they use a different architecture and are not inter-compatable.

You might want to consider the Continuum Avid multi-host option on an annual subscription for $695. WIth that, you will be able to run the Continuum filters in any supported host on any single system - Avid, Adobe, OFX. The perpetual license for that package is $1995 so you can save a lot by going with the $695 annual subscription pricing model.

The standalone version of Particle Illusion is 100% free as a download from our web site.

Cheers,
Peter.

OK, thanks for clearing that up.

Cheers,

Alan

Wow, if you will add to a list, I scan the FEC effects again. Following are the list which I think can’t be replaced by BCC : 3D relief, 3D Ball Action, Bend It, Bender, blobbylize, Bubble, Drizzle, EZ lazy wave, Flo Motion, Glass, Glue Gun, Gradient Blur, Griddler, Hair, Lens(little different from Lens_Distortion_Wipe), MinMax, Mercury, Smoothie, Power Ramp, Rectangular scale wipe, Repetile, Smear, Sparkle Edge, Split, Spot Frame, Spot Tatter, Spot tubulence, Star burst, Threshold, ThresholdRGB, Tiler, Vector Blur(not for transition), water waves, wiggle edge.

Here is the Screen shot. Boris RED makes VEGAS Pro 18.0 fliping and discolor

Cool, I’ll add all of them to the list - that does not guarantee that they will be added to the product because there would be a good deal of engineering work to make that happen but they will be added to the list.

For the RED issues - I suspect that the image color change is happening because of a color safe preference which you can adjust. In the RED Project Settings dialog, check to see if the Color Safe levels options is enabled - if so, then disable that. For the image flip, I’m not sure how to resolve that other than perhaps disabling OpenGL (in RED preferences) to see if that helps.

Cheers,
Peter.

I suspect that the image color change is happening because of a color safe preference which you can adjust. In the RED Project Settings dialog, check to see if the Color Safe levels options is enabled - if so, then disable that.

Doesn’t work. :expressionless:

For the image flip, I’m not sure how to resolve that other than perhaps disabling OpenGL (in RED preferences) to see if that helps.

Doesn’t work. :expressionless:

Thanks anyway.

Well sorry that didn’t pan out for you and at this stage, I have to say that you would be better served by moving away from RED - it is a discontinued product and has not seen any development in several years. Continuum is a better option for your needs.

Thanks,
Peter.

Boris Red is actually a powerful composite, paint, graphic software like AE, It can’t be replaced by continuum simply. I will research to how to correct the error. :worried: Thanks very much.

Yep, I totally understand - I was part of the original design team for RED some 20 years ago and directly managed that product through it’s lifecycle. It was a fabulous product and brought complex compositing into the edit timeline and although it had a great run, it’s finished now. We have many solutions for paint, roto, compositing and vfx but as plug-in to various NLE’s and compositing systems and as standalone products, including Silhouette and Mocha Pro. The alternative to this is to use a dedicated compositing app, like AE, Nuke etc. and rendering out a finished composite, then sequencing this with other clips in an NLE.

Cheers,
Peter.