Some difficulty with a remove on a complicated background

The scene is an action shot with the camera doing a dolly left the entire time and lots of bodies and debris flying around as the bad guy does his ninja thing. I’m trying to remove an errant camera guy who got into several seconds of the shot.

It looks like I have good tracks of the floor and back wall, at least according to the grid and surface, but about halfway into the scene I start getting artifacts and the camera guy’s leg shows up in a small slice just above where I linked the seam. Here is a before and after of a representative example of the problem:

[caption id=“before” align=“alignnone” width=“1722”] Before remove[/caption]

[caption id=“after” align=“alignnone” width=“1748”] after remove[/caption]

I’ve reviewed a lot of tutorial footage and the Mocha Pro documentation but I’m not seeing enough clues to lead me to how I might clear up these problems. Can anyone having more experience with the software lend some insights or ideas?

Many thanks!

It might be that mocha does not have enough of the background visible in that section to bring his leg out completely, as in, the leg overlaps itself so much in that section mocha can’t “see” behind it. Try using a cleanplate on the most egregious frame, and that should clean it up.

You will need to paint the cleanplate.

Cool; thanks, Mary.

I was experimenting with a clean plate only approach at first but stuff moved so quickly I was having to make one every few frames. Lost sight of the fact I don’t have to be all or nothing. I can paint up a plate no problem. I’ll give that a go as soon as I can and let you know how it went.

Thanks again!

Quick update: I’m still tweaking but the process is improving. It seems one problem is that pile of junk in the middle of the set that’s obscuring both the wall and the floor and throwing off the remove track. I tracked part of that and added another matte, and (since the action is moving fairly quickly) I’m adding a sequence of clean plates as the background makes major moves. It’s not perfect yet but tons better and I’m on track to get it handled now.

Thanks!

Great! I am glad you’re getting it!

Me too! I’ve been devouring your video tutorials and they’ve been a massive help. I’m normally a CGI guy, 3D modeling and animation, and I do a lot of After Effects work with camera matching and compositing, but object removal is a first for me and of course I’m cutting my teeth on a very challenging clip.

The local indie producer who most recently hired me to do some CGI for him asked whether I could bail him out with some crew removal. In the immortal words of Teddy Roosevelt:

"Whenever you are asked if you can do a job, tell 'em, ‘Certainly I can!’ Then get busy and find out how to do it.”

I quickly decided the Mocha that came with AE wasn’t doing it for me so I invested in the Pro version, and here I am. I expect I’ll be using it lots now.

Mark

Yeah… I have learned a LOT of techniques “on the job” too! :slight_smile: